Thread: Bleached anemone?

Thanks

Bleached anemone?

I bought my lil' BTA about 7 or 8 months ago. He was already bleached when I got him but I gave him some TLC and he began to pink up quite a bit. I got metal halides on my tank about a month ago it seems like he has actually been bleaching ever since then. I don't know if it's just the light that makes him look whiter or what. He eats extremely aggressively and moves faster than any anemone I've ever witnessed in my life so I assume he is healthy. He has bright pink tips but the rest of the tentacle is white. Is it just the light that makes him appear lighter than what he actually is? Or is the light stressing him out and making him bleach?

Crispy Reef Monkey **MOD** Phurst's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    What lighting was he under before? I wouldn't be surprised if the new MHs were bleaching him a bit. When you say he moves fast, do you mean he moves quickly when eating, or he's moving around the tank?
    **KEEP ME AWAY FROM SUPER GLUE ... i tend to glue my lips shut !!**

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Phurst View Post
    What lighting was he under before? I wouldn't be surprised if the new MHs were bleaching him a bit. When you say he moves fast, do you mean he moves quickly when eating, or he's moving around the tank?
    I have a 150W sunpod on my aquapod. When I say he moves, I mean he moves in response to stimulus. He hasn't switched places in the tank since about 5 or 6 months ago.

He seems happy... he's always open and his tentacles are bubbly. He just looks so colorless now.

If it is the light that is causing him to bleach, will he recover some of his color when he gets used to it?

Crispy Reef Monkey **MOD** Phurst's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    The current lighting is fine. What lights did you have before the 150? Just the stock PCs? if so, I'm sure it's bleaching in response to the upgraded lighting. You might reduce your photo period and increase the time slowly over a couple of weeks. It will adapt to the light no problem, but the sudden increase has caused it to partially bleach. Make sure you keep feeding it until it's color recovers as well.
    **KEEP ME AWAY FROM SUPER GLUE ... i tend to glue my lips shut !!**

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Phurst View Post
    The current lighting is fine. What lights did you have before the 150? Just the stock PCs? if so, I'm sure it's bleaching in response to the upgraded lighting. You might reduce your photo period and increase the time slowly over a couple of weeks. It will adapt to the light no problem, but the sudden increase has caused it to partially bleach. Make sure you keep feeding it until it's color recovers as well.
    He was under the stock lighting before.

Okay, well hopefully he will pink up again. He was so pretty before! He is pretty now too but I like to have healthy animals in my tank!

Thanks!

Thread Information