Thread: Overflow Wall

Insightful Reefer PessimisticOptimist's Avatar
    Thanks

Overflow Wall

Good Evening - I really need to determine what I am going to do about my overflow wall. I am at the point of the project where if I wait any longer my options will become more limited due to the progress of the entire project.

I really wish to obscure the overflow wall so the plumbing at the inside end of the peninsula is hidden (far rightof tank pictured). <see pic> What are my options?

I was planning on spray insulation foam, but have recently read a few posts regarding worry over leaching of chemicals from the foam, over time, to the detriment of the tank inhabitants. Does anyone have any personal experience with this technique? It would certainly be the easiest solution.

Applying some type of clear waterproof adhesive to the entire wall and then taking a slew of crushed and small pieces of Live Rock and adhere them directly to the wall. This would like be the most natural and albeit a little time consuming is likely the best option. Does anyone have any personal experience with this technique? If so, which adhesive did you use?

Applying some type of underwhat paint to the inside sump side of the overflow creating a black background on the inside end of the peninsula. This should also be relatively easy and black coloring will help to mask my black closed loop buklkead. Does anyone have any personal experience with this technique? If so, which brand paint did you use?

Any other option I have not considered?

I appreciate your help on this almost pressing matter.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I haven't tried it but I know a couple of people who have used the foam and have not run into any problems.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    What about getting some black acrylic cut to cover the sides of the overflow. I cant recall what type of adhesive to use (there is a special kind) but it is relatively simple. When I used to keep tropical fish I had a mirror cut to put on the rear wall so that none of the cords of filtration could be seen from the front of the DT. Just a though...

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I think the adhesive for acrylic is called Weld-on.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    wow this is to long for me to type lol ill try well you can go with the acrylic make a good overflow with groves on black acrylic and that will cover the front panel now for the sides you can use limo window tint just to dark that area you can go and doit over and that will get really black hope this help
    acrylic guru

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Reef Newb View Post
    What about getting some black acrylic cut to cover the sides of the overflow. I cant recall what type of adhesive to use (there is a special kind) but it is relatively simple. When I used to keep tropical fish I had a mirror cut to put on the rear wall so that none of the cords of filtration could be seen from the front of the DT. Just a though...

wel-on don't glue acrylic with glass acrylic and glass dose not bond if he try to glue anything on the inside the glue will look really nasty
    acrylic guru

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I have a couple of questions. You are obviously building this yourself, I think.

Are you going to build a canopy to match the stand? If so, you could use the same wood to cover the right end and blend the stand and canopy together.

On a different subject.

What are those two holes half way up your overflow going to be used for?

Dick
    Amphibious

Good Luck comes to those who research and prepare.

Our Talking Reef Forum The Cultured Reef Forum
    My tank journal Amphibious' 135 mixed reef.
    The Cutured Reef toll free number - 888 745-0449

Amblyeleotris randalli commonly, Randall's Goby.

Insightful Reefer PessimisticOptimist's Avatar
    Thanks
    [COLOR="Black"]
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphibious View Post
    I have a couple of questions. You are obviously building this yourself, I think.
    Does it show that badly?

Are you going to build a canopy to match the stand? If so, you could use the same wood to cover the right end and blend the stand and canopy together.
    Yes - although I am waiting to purchase my lighting system ASAP. <translation, when I am certian I have found the best price>. I was able to convince my wife to let me purchase the new Solaris I4. But, that is a story, with associated questions, for another thread

On a different subject.

What are those two holes half way up your overflow going to be used for?
    Keen eyes. Sorry for providing and incomplete description. The two wholes (1 1/2") are the drains (intake) for my closed loop. There are also four (1") wholes located on the tank floor for the CL returns

I have settled on a plan for the peninsula facing wall. I purchased a bunch of marine epoxy. I am going to donate several pounds or Live Rock, located in a 55 gal drum. I'll break the rock into smaller pieces and paste them randomnly, and not so randomnly, around the surface. It will likely take some time, but I think it may prove the nicest.

I remain unsure about the side view of the overflow chamber. I think I'll have to wait and see how, if at all, I decide to incase the lighting fixture. I know I do not wish for the tank to be essentially open. <translation - I have three young children>

Thanks for all your help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PessimisticOptimist; 07-27-2008 at 07:09 PM. Reason: typo

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Yippee for the Solaris! I have a G series and I love it!
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Thread Information