Thread: Plywood corner tank worth trying?

Apprentice
    Thanks

Plywood corner tank worth trying?

I'm really wanting to upgrade the tank in my living room from a 12g nano to something bigger, but unfortunately financial restraints are preventing me from getting the 54 gal. corner tank I'd love. I've been racking my brain lately and thinking that maybe DIY would be the way to go. However, I've never worked with acrylic and there's no way I could make something that would fit in a corner and look good on my first try. I've been reading a lot into plywood tanks, and wonder if anyone here has experience or an opinion. Here's the area where it will fit:

It's about 44" across if you go straight from one wall to the other, so I figure I wouldn't need that much material? Is it worth it or will I end up spending more that I would on a corner tank anyway?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Here is a thread http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/di...down-tank.html you may be interested in.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    There is also a long thread in the Calfo section of the MD forums on a Plywood Frag Tank that may be worth skimming.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mits View Post
    It's about 44" across if you go straight from one wall to the other, so I figure I wouldn't need that much material? Is it worth it or will I end up spending more that I would on a corner tank anyway?
    Carmie can chime in her on corner tanks; I know they have an great appeal for many people. With that said, I've read they may be problematic from a flow and lighting standpoint, and do not leave a lot of room underneath for equipment.

Are you considering a corner tank because it maintains better traffic flow in the room? I ask because that space looks like it could easily host a 60g cube (24"L x 24"W x 24"T), which might allow you to see the tank from 3 sides if it is against the kitchen wall. A 40g Breeder (36" L x 18" W x 15"T) or better yet a 50g dimension (36" L x 18" W x 18"T) might be nice in that space as well. I am a sucker for rectangular dims.

Plywood may be fine for holding tanks over firm concrete floors; but I would be pretty nervous over a wood joist floor with flexing and/or settling.

Apprentice
    Thanks
    Anything that sticks out too much probably wouldn't meet wife approval, but I hadn't thought of what you're suggesting. I can probably find a tank at a good price and build the stand/canopy myself. Thanks for the idea!

Apprentice
    Thanks
    Also, looking at the picture you'll see why I can't do anything with an open top and pendant. The DVD rack is only half full because anything lower than it is now gets played with by the toddlers. It's coming down and we're putting everything in a media binder.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I love my corner tank but it does have limitations. The room in the stand is very limited! I don't see a big issue with flow but lighting is a bit of a challenge.

Especially with toddlers whatever you do you may want to consider anchoring the stand to the wall.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    you wont be able to have it as a bow front but you could certainly make a corner tank

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    Here's a crazy thought (coming from a n00b).. Home made "L" shaped tank??

Apprentice
    Thanks
    I actually got a 55 gallon tank on a great deal that won't stick too far out from the wall. I have a build thread for the project here.

Reef Central Online Community - The (relatively) low cost reef project - build thread

I'm trying to build or trade/sell for everything else.

Thread Information