Thread: Copepod Tranfer and Brownish Algae on Sand Questions

Thanks

Copepod Tranfer and Brownish Algae on Sand Questions

I had (have) a 29 gallon tank that I transferred all my fish out of to the larger 120 I have. The only items in the smaller tank are some live rock, a small zoa frag and some Xenia (not sure about spelling). I noticed in the small tank there are TONS of these little bug like “pods” all over the sand and on the back wall of the tank. Should I try and transfer there creatures to my new tank for some beneficial purpose, or should I not worry about that? If I should transfer them, how would I accomplish a task like this.

The other question I have is that I’ve viewed many “nicely kept” reef aquariums online and I’ve almost always saw some sort of brownish algae on the surface of the sand or a brownish layering below the sand that is visible through the front glass as you can see the depth of the sand bed. I have some of that brownish algae on my sand and I always try to get rid of it. Question is…should I worry about this growth or is this a typical occurrence that will always happen and is a normal thing in an aquarium?

Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    You could use a small diameter tube like airline tubing and siphon the pods off the glass and then add them to your 120. I am running my nano fallow right now and it too has a pod explosion!

What are you tank parameters? Is the algae a golden brown dusting? If so it sounds like diatoms. They are usually a natural part of a new tank's progression. They normally go away on their own. If they have been around for a long while you might try turning off the lights for a few days.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    the algae is a mixture of diatoms and others, it's beneficial but could be nuisance depending on tank type and parameters. Most blow it off the top of the sand for looks which is not a bad deal, the reality is plenty will live elsewhere.

As far as the pods, theres probably a ton and a ton of different species, if your super concerned about it you can siphon them through an airline hose (which doesnt work for larger amphipods) and plop them in a sump fairly easy, if you transferred some live rock and arent super concerned for any special reason dumping them is not a huge deal. Most of these guys breed like rabbits and will re-establish quite quickly in a well run system.

If you moved rock and other such items, many have transferred over anyhow so you should be okay there!
    ~J

Thanks
    Thanks for both your comments.

My parameters are fine. PH is slightly low at 7.8, but Amonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates are at 0.

I'll probably transfer the pods as you suggested, with a hose.

Thanks again.

Thread Information