Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My New Podcast Addiction.

Thanks

My New Podcast Addiction.

I just wanted to say what an excellent job you have done with the Podcast and the Website Rob. I have just started subcribing to your Podcast since I purchased my Ipod and I'm only up to episode 20 and I can't begin to thank you for providing such a bastion of knowledge to a beginer such as myself. You stated that you aimed knowledge without the punishment of ridicul by seasoned Aquarist and let me be one to thank you on accomplishing that goal. I am fairly new to the world of Marine Aquariums and have become addicted. I'm 24 years old and live in Bronx, New York where I house my 180 gallon all-glass aquarium. Since listening to your Podcast I have started to see the errors in my quick judgements on filtration, lighting and other aspects of my tank. I am also a victem of impulse buying and not completing all of the homework that I should have down before a purchase. However, from listening to your show I now see the error in my judgments and decided to take the necessary steps to provide my aquatic buddies the best possible environment. From the advice on your Podcast I have decided to plan my redesign of my tanks filtration, lighting, etc. based on an order of priority. As you stated within your Podcast no matter what city your in RO/DI water is preferred. I shelled out the cash and purchased a 4-stage 75gpd RO/DI water purifier and I'm curious to know how much water (in gallons) should I change (the original water within the tank is distilled tap water) and at what frquency I should change it in order to replace the tap water currently in the tank with RO/DI water without sacrificing large amounts of beneficial bacteria and restarting my tanks cycling process. Your advice is greatly appreciated. Keep up the great work.

Thanks
    NYC n Da HOUSE!!! Welcome to TR ZeroKool. Hope you enjoy your stay.
    "Just a Whole Bowl Of Wrong"

Thanks
    DjGonza69, thanks for the welcome. :-)

Thanks
    ZeroCool,
    thanks for all the kind words.. it great seeing stories like that..

regarding your water change.
    not sure what you mean by distilled tap water.. that's like saying clean tap water...lol
    they two dont go together...

any ways, if it IS distilled water thats fine. you can use distilled water without issues, but, its awesome that you have your own RO/DI using, as the long term cost of water will be much less now. so regarding changing the water out, if you are using distilled, just do normal water changes with the RO water.. nothing special to do.

and last but not least,
    Welcome to Talkingreef...
    Show people you appreciate there advice, click the icon under there name and give them Reputation points

Thanks
    Rob, its great to hear from you. I will continue with the normal water changes as you instructed. However, I'm having a few issues with setting up the 4-stage RO/DI Purifier. It seems that I may not have enough water pressure coming from the kitchen sink where it is installed resulting in plenty of waste water but a slight trickle of Purified Water. Are their any solutions that you can provide me with. It would be greatly appreciated. Also a side note will you be focusing any of your podcast on aggressive fish only with live rock aquariums? Thank you for all the help. Keep up the great work. Maybe I will make it on the Podcast interview one day. :-)

Thanks
    yes, i saw your other post about the pressure issue, and everythign sounds pretty normal, check there for details

about the show, i will see what i can come up with, thanks for the suggstion
    Show people you appreciate there advice, click the icon under there name and give them Reputation points

Thanks
    Rob, thank you for the advice. I currently have an Aggressive Fish Only with Live Rock and I'm thinking of eventually transforming it to include polyps. But this transformation is somewhere down the road. I will keep you posted about the pressure issues. Maybe a Podcast on RO/DI units installation/troubleshooting should be considered for newcomers to the hobby such as myself if one has not been made. (I have yet to catch up with all the Podcast). Thank you.

Thanks
    that's a great idea..
    i actually have a little video i will be doing on RO membranes..
    will be a short fun one.. and should be soon.. (well soon for me, is not the same as soon for everyone else...lol)

Thanks
    Great video idea Rob- I *need* that one, maybe you got the idea from me? I was on the phone last night with one of my reef buddies and he was trying to explain the different chambers and stuff and what they do. I just hook it up and make water and haven't tried to understand it! Also I need an idea of which ones to change and when- and I know it depends on how much ya make, but a general guideline to follow would be wonderful!!

Thanks Rob!

p.s. I haven't changed any filters in my RODI since I bought the unit about a year and a half ago, but I will be changing all of them soon AND buying a TDS meter My poor skimmer is working overtime trying to keep up with that yucky water!

Thanks
    gwen_o_lyn, I'm glad a spawned a new topic. :-)

Thanks
    Welcome aboard TR ... looking forward to your inputs etc. We are a happy bunch and glad to have you aboard ... even if there is a 50/50 chance that your a Yankee's fan

The "Bad Boy From Bah-stin"

Dave
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. >((((º>

"Fins to the left...Fins to the Right, I'm going home to play with my reef tonight..."

If you're looking for me, and I'm MIA from the board, email me at JustDavidP (at) gmail (dot) com.

Experience in aquaria, 37 years. Experience in marine, 22+ years. Experience in Reef Keeping, 8 years. Always a newbie!

Thanks
    JustDavidP, thank you for the welcome. It is greatly appreciated by this Yankee fan. :-)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroKoolNYC
    gwen_o_lyn, I'm glad a spawned a new topic. :-)
    yeah I wreck every thread... it just happens

Thanks
    ZeroKool failed to say Welcome to TR in your other thread, so I'll say it here.

hmm..."zerokool" sounds familiar....by chance from a movie back in the 80's? Or totally unrelated.

Gwen, I think the recommended change on the prefilters are like 6 months.... ops:
    Tank setup 8-5-05
    26 gal bowfront

click sig to see my tank and 'tankcam'

Thanks
    Yeah I'm waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overdue!!

Thanks
    Scott, thank you for the welcome to Talking Reef Podcast. It is very much appreciated. Gwen_o_lyn, order new filters for you RO/DI before you next batch of water. ;-)

Thanks
    Gwen_o_lyn, order new filters for you RO/DI before you next batch of water. ;-)
    i agree!!!!!

and just yelled at her about this a few days ago.. lol

bad gwen..
    your grounded..
    you are getting a 24 hour delay on the next show...

Thanks
    ouch! I've been getting the hook up previews this week!! I don't always get to listen before they are released, but sometimes I do... and it's only like an hour or 2- no big deal!

Filters: I just gotta listen to Matt complain about me spending money when I order stuff. I did order reef books in Jan, and Matt never found out about that- ha! I can be sneaky again!!

Thanks
    Qwen_o_lyn, I also got a talk from my girlfriend concerning the money I just spent on the RO/DI Purifier. I just listening and nodded attentively. :-) I'm still moving onto my next project SUMP FILTRATION when this is done. :-)

Thanks
    Zero- I just noticed you have a stonefish- livin on the edge, huh? Didn't know people actually kept them as pets.... so do ya hand feed him!???!

I'd love to see pics of your tank and fish. Talking Reef has a photo gallery *hint hint*

-gwen without the "q"

Thanks
    Qwen_o_lyn, I also got a talk from my girlfriend concerning the money I just spent on the RO/DI Purifier.
    Just let her know that you can use the RO water for drinking water too...and it's probably healthier than your regular tap water.

I pulled my brita (2 gallon dispenser) out of the fridge after getting my RO unit. Granted I got a sink type faucet with my unit along with a 3 gallon tank.
    Tank setup 8-5-05
    26 gal bowfront

Thanks

Gwen_o_lyn, the Stonefish was a recent addition into my Marine Aquarium about 2 weeks ago. It seems that I have a fascination for aggressive/poisinous fish. The fish store where I got him from stated that I would only be able to feed him live food which presented a slight problem since my Puffers are hungry/greedy as a natural combination. He normally stays buried in a favorite spot or lands on top of the sand disturbing it and naturally stirring it around which solved my issue of finding a fish that would stir the sand but not become a meal for my Puffers. I would never hand feed him because he is lightning fast. I use a feeding stick to pass frozen food by as he whats under the sand and WAAAM the food it gone and he hits the feeding stick with powerful force. I don't even see him leave the sand and go back in. I have read that you need a high speed camera to catch their feeding movements and I can definitely confirm that.

I was hoping to get better camera equipment before adding photographs of my aquatic buddies and setup to the site but to make you happy check out the photographs above. :-)

Thanks
    Scott, I wasn't sure if I was able to drink the water but I guess now I will start to do so. :-) Thank you for the advice. I think I might purchase some rubbermaid water/juice containers to place my RO/DI water in so I can just drink from the refrigerator. Are their any containers that you would recommend to store RO/DI water so that it does not evaporate before getting inside my Marine Aquarium.

Thanks
    if the water is RODI, it's going to taste real funny. I actually split off before my DI so for drinking it's just RO water....and the water I use for the fish is RODI. But, I know Rob has mentioned he drinks RODI.

I know we were talking about drinking it and the taste over here.
    http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/sh...p?t=325&page=3

As for storage, I personally don't as I have a 3 gallon pressure tank with my unit. But I believe others just use a rubberized garbage can or some other type of large container. Maybe even a 5 gallon bucket.
    Tank setup 8-5-05
    26 gal bowfront

Thanks
    That is one sick fish! I'd love to see a video of him!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information