Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: DIY Kalk Doser - Video Podcast Episode 44

Thanks

DIY Kalk Doser - Video Podcast Episode 44

The third video episodes is finally out. In this show i walk you though a basic DIY drip system. This is the system i mentions and linked to in the Kalk episode
    You can find details to that show, and the link to the original article i worked from here

Please feel free to let me know and i will provide the info

Here is the link to subscribe to the feed

Or click here to download the individual episode

Watch the video here:

And Please consider taking the listner survey
    Last edited by Rob; 09-11-2007 at 08:30 PM.
    Show people you appreciate there advice, click the icon under there name and give them Reputation points

Thanks
    Enjoyed this one a lot Rob. Well done. Very clear and informative. My one question would be when and why would I use this?

Jim

Thanks
    thanks..

a kalk drip like this is used to maintain Ca and Alk in your tank.
    its a cheaper and better option over 2 part additives that are available.

there are other benefits in that it stabilizes PH, can increase skimmer efficiency and output, and is overall healthier for the tank that many commercial products used for Ca or Alk.

if you do not have a reef tank, then you might not use this as much or at all.
    however if you have a reef that is heavy with stony corals and clams a simple kalk drip system might not be enough.
    Show people you appreciate there advice, click the icon under there name and give them Reputation points

Thanks
    I drip 1/2 gallon of Kalk water every night and I have just a few zoas, mushrooms, and other polyps. I have nothing that has a real calcium uptake.

I did this to help "bind" the phosphates in my tank and increase skimmer efficiency. It's worked. My skimmer is at least twice as efficient, requiring attention every two days rather than once a week. My cyano battle is quickly coming to an end. My water is MUCH clearer (still can't figure out this correlation) AND my coralline algae on the LR has bloomed big time.

In my 75G reef, kalk dripping was not very efficient. Had I kept that bad boy running, I'd have cut in a calcium reactor to help with all of these issues and the incredible uptake that I had. That system was SPS and clam dominated.

Dave
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. >((((º>

"Fins to the left...Fins to the Right, I'm going home to play with my reef tonight..."

If you're looking for me, and I'm MIA from the board, email me at JustDavidP (at) gmail (dot) com.

Experience in aquaria, 37 years. Experience in marine, 22+ years. Experience in Reef Keeping, 8 years. Always a newbie!

Thanks
    as it stands right now, usign kalk as my top off water, is barely keeping up with my current calcium consumption rates.

i am actually looking into a kalk reactor or even a calcium reactor.

i would love to do a DIY kalk reactor and do it in a video..

Thanks
    My buddy builds them weekly. He has reactors and sumps under construction all the time... sounds like a project to me

Dave

"Fins to the left...Fins to the Right, I'm going home to play with my reef tonight..."

If you're looking for me, and I'm MIA from the board, email me at JustDavidP (at) gmail (dot) com.

Experience in aquaria, 37 years. Experience in marine, 22+ years. Experience in Reef Keeping, 8 years. Always a newbie!

Thanks
    maybe we can set something up..
    i will message you offline about this.

Thanks
    I have a similar setup. I use an old hospital IV pump and a 5 gal jug in the basement and ran tubing up to the tank on the first floor. It is constantly dripping into my sump. Never used vinegar though - I'll give it a try.

What's the latest theory on the usable lifespan of kalkwasser over time. Some say you need to use it shortly after mixing or you lose the benefit of the kalk.

Thanks
    it does loose effectiveness..
    however, if kept in an airtight container, that's not circulated, it has been show to maintain its effectiveness for up to a week or so.

the key is air tight.
    to keep it simple, its the mixing of air that reduces the effectiveness of the kalk

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    After seeing the video, I'm planning on setting up one of these on my 55 gallon. Until I get an auto-topoff kit, I'm going to try to set it just under my normal evaporation rate. Has anyone done a test to see what the volume conversion is for drops of this stuff out of standard airline tubing? I know a rule of thumb for water from an eye-dropper is 20 drops/mL. But, while the density and viscosity of this stuff shouldn't vary from water enough to greatly affect that conversion, the size of the opening will.

For example, my tank loses anywhere from 0.25-0.5 gallons/day. If I want to set my kalk drip for 0.25 gallons/day, using 20 drops/mL, I need a drop every 4-5 seconds. However, I suspect that the drop from airline tubing will be larger, and I'll need to drip slower. I guess I can just set it up and monitor it.

Thanks
    to get that specific you would need a doser, with this method you will not likely get that accurate.

Thanks
    Another option for auto-top off...reverse the concept! Have the bottle lower than the tank. Make sure the end hanging over the water is open (i.e.-not underwater). Then use an air pump hooked up to a float switch...you know how you blew in to start the siphon...basically the air pump turns on when the water level goes down, and then pushes the kalk up and into the tank. Since the airline tubing end is open and there is no siphon because the bottle is lower than the tank...shuts off the flow when the pump turns off (with the float switch!) Got this idea off of TRT a while back. Bought a simple float switch online (about $7)...was a great investment!
    -Jon

Thanks
    yep, great idea.. thanks for sharing..

my system is basically the same thing

5 gallon bucket that powers a small powerhead (instead of air pump)
    flot switch kicks, turns on powerhead
    pumps water to tank, float, stops - water stops.

bucket is below tank water level, so no syphon..

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    When I get a couple of float switches (will have one for emergency shutoff), I'm planning on doing it that way. The drops/second thing will be just in the interum until I get that system purchased and installed.

Thanks
    nice vidio

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hi Vanmo,

Welcome to TalkingReef!
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    Thanks. Glad to be here

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob
    it does loose effectiveness..
    however, if kept in an airtight container, that's not circulated, it has been show to maintain its effectiveness for up to a week or so.

the key is air tight.
    to keep it simple, its the mixing of air that reduces the effectiveness of the kalk
    Rob,

Just to add my 0.02, I think it can maintain effectiveness longer than a week in an airtight container. Check out this article:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.php

Figures 3, 4 and 5.

I typically mix up my saturated lime water once every few weeks and it seems to maintain my Ca and Alk just as well when it is freshly mixed and when the container is almost used up 2-4 weeks later. The key is keeping the lid on the container like you said

Brian

Thanks
    great info...
    i was erring on the side of caution, i have known and read it to longer, but mine never lasts that long (because i use it), and i try to refrain for begin specific on stuff i haven't experienced first hand..

thanks for posting that link

Expert Reefer
    Thanks
    Here is a dumb question, I've been dosing Kalk for about two weeks, it has been maintaining my Ca and Alk nicely. Can I dose a little stronger to raise both? My Ca is 350ppm and Alk is 7. I'd like to be Ca400 and Alk 8-10.
    JOHN

Thanks
    John,

Your best bet is to use a two part additive and slowly bring the CA and Alk up. Once you get it balanced and where you want it, you can use Kalk to keep it maintained. The same holds true for a calcium reactor. It can maintain your levels, but probably not efficient at pushing them up.

I know that others will say "heck ya..you can use Kalk to boost". This is somewhat true. However, by doing this without watching alkalinity, you can throw your chemistry out of whack.

I often use B-Ionics to get my paramaters "set". From there on in... I use Kalk to keep the levels where I want them, checking on alkalinity often.

Dave

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by m8298
    Here is a dumb question, I've been dosing Kalk for about two weeks, it has been maintaining my Ca and Alk nicely. Can I dose a little stronger to raise both? My Ca is 350ppm and Alk is 7. I'd like to be Ca400 and Alk 8-10.
    I agree that a two part additive is probably the best way to raise it and then kalk to maintain. You don't mention your pH, keep an eye on your pH whenever you are adding things that can alter the pH.

Brian

Thanks
    and i agree with both of them..
    Kalk is best used to "maintain" levels. as stated it is possible to raise alk and Ca with kalk, you really need to know whats going on, and i dont recommend it as it can be tricky to do without fall out.

the two part additives are the safest way to go..

Thanks
    So, Rob, yours doesn't drip then. When your water gets low, your system injects top off water full of kalk? Thats what I need to do. There is no way I can have mine higher than my tank or sump. What affects does this have on ph since so much is being added at one time instead of driped? Does if affect ph differently?
    - Eddy

"Corals require an aquarium, seawater at the right temperature and salinity, waterf flow, light, food, bicarbonate/buffer, and calcium. Period. No other equipment, apparatus, magic potions, pills, voodoo, prayer, or other sacrafices are necessary." -Eric Borneman

Thanks
    if you cant have it higher than the tank there are a few rules to follow.
    set it up exactly as you would an auto top off.
    keep the end of the hose above the water in the bucket to prevent siphon
    use a peristaltic pump if you can get one.
    and plan for the worst. as in use a holding container small enough so that if, by some freak chance, the whole thing went into the tank it wouldn't cause disaster.
    other options are using a timer, as mentioned in one of the recent shows. this makes sure that the top off pump "only" runs for select periods of time, thus preventing a stuck or broke float switch from running all of the kalk into your system at once
    Last edited by Rob; 06-29-2006 at 10:57 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information