Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24

Thread: Wildeone's Newest Obsession

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hi Duane,

Congratulations (I think) on the impending move. I've only moved my tank from one room to another so I am not much help with this. I think you need to have a couple of strong friends lined up to help you on the day of the move. Maybe bribe them with a BBQ...

As far as MACNA goes the weather should still be quite warm, maybe even downright hot, so your wife will not need a coat. But the sun is still intense so you should be prepared to give her plenty of sunscreen and a hydration backpack! Where are the Wilde frags going to ride?
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    ahhh....a tank move....funnnn.....
    I did this with my tank 3 years ago. In my previous house, the tank had a larger pore-size coral sandbed that I had decided I didn't want to move. I wasn't happy with the larger pore size...felt it was just a detritus trap. So, with the move, I dumped the sand. The new set-up was to be bare bottom (which has no changed again to a DSB with sugarfine sand for the newest tank!). At any rate, I was glad to not have to move a sandbed. It sounds like Dana's suggestions are great for doing that.

I transported my fish in old salt buckets, which were a perfect size. Luckily we were moving in June, so it wasn't too cold outside. If you're not planning on getting the fish right away into a tank again, then it might be a bit of a pain to have to heat all those buckets...plus they do need a bit of circulation as well to retain a sufficient oxygen content in the water. I have heard of people buying the cheap kids swimming pools and setting these up as a "go-between" aquarium. They probably have smaller sized ones so that you don't need to make too much saltwater. Maybe this would be an option for you.

If you try to match up the salinity as close as possible, then maybe the drip acclimation will be less stressful for your fish.

Also, I tried to save as much of the tank saltwater as possible. I was able to borrow these huge blue barrels and we filled two of them up. I guess you could use something like a rain barrel. We filled them about halfway full so that 3 people could still carry it together (we have 25 steps up to our house!). I think that starting the new tank with as much of the "old" water as possible is less of a shock to the system and you retain the bulk of your bacteria and other little critters.

In terms of the basement sump...sounds like a great idea. You'll have more room to set up frag tanks and QT as well. Reefcentral has a great calculator that you can use to calculate the headloss on your vertical rise for the pumps. You're going to need a/some heavy duty return pump/s to get the water back up at a decent rate. I forget the specs of your tank, but maybe for this setup, it would be beneficial to have an in-tank closed loop as well so as to avoid a huge loss of flow due to the headloss.
    Christi

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CarmieJo View Post
    Where are the Wilde frags going to ride?
    Well, they will be back in Ohio, so no problems there. Kind of a much needed mini vacation for us!

As for the move, I am hoping to get a couple large rubbermaid tubs stup, one as the sump, and the other as a frag tank / fuge. I don't think I will have time to be fragging for a while, so initially I will have a huge fuge (i'm a poet and didn't know it). That way, I can initially use the fuge as my holding place for the fish and almost all of my rockwork and corals. That way I am not rushed setting my tank. I will need to set the tank, drill the lines, build a canopy and plumb it all up. So honestly that will take a bit of time. I can get some stuff done ahead, but I assume my corals and critters will be ok in a large rubbermaid sump for some time so long as it is lit, with flow and heated and skimmed.

I am a bit worried because the water is well water, and I am not sure of the quality. Here is a question, do I run the RO/DI unit before the softener or after?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I don't know this for sure but I think I would run the RO/DI instead of the softener. We really want hard water in our tanks. The softener pulls Ca and Mg out of the water and replaces them with sodium. That seems kind of counterproductive in a reef.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    yeah..I wouldn't use the softener...just do RODI.
    Christi

Thanks
    Ok, I was on the fence of if I was going to move the system. I thought about selling it all off and starting over. The wife (who has little to do with my hobby) said she really wants to keep it, so I guess we will be moving it. So, I think I need to do a little mechanical planning to prepare the new system The first thing I need to know is which is better, a 180 gallon tank or a rubbermaid tub of comparable size a sump. I have a chance to purchase the 180 for $50.00.

Next, I need some help determining pump size etc. I know RC has a head loss calc, but I have a chance at a large pump (Sequence 4200 GPH), for $200.00 that is 16 months old. Stupid question but, I can back the flow down with a valve....right? Also can I use the RC overflow calc in reverse to estimate my flow to the sump? So I hav lets say 10" of linear overflow and a 1" pipe, so that comes to about 600 GPH right? So as long as I back the return to below 600GPH (adding in head loss, etc.)I am ok, right?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wildeone View Post
    Ok, I was on the fence of if I was going to move the system. I thought about selling it all off and starting over. The wife (who has little to do with my hobby) said she really wants to keep it, so I guess we will be moving it. So, I think I need to do a little mechanical planning to prepare the new system The first thing I need to know is which is better, a 180 gallon tank or a rubbermaid tub of comparable size a sump. I have a chance to purchase the 180 for $50.00.

Next, I need some help determining pump size etc. I know RC has a head loss calc, but I have a chance at a large pump (Sequence 4200 GPH), for $200.00 that is 16 months old. Stupid question but, I can back the flow down with a valve....right? Also can I use the RC overflow calc in reverse to estimate my flow to the sump? So I hav lets say 10" of linear overflow and a 1" pipe, so that comes to about 600 GPH right? So as long as I back the return to below 600GPH (adding in head loss, etc.)I am ok, right?
    I am glad to see you making progress ... as in making decisions. That's progress in my book.

For the sump, is the 180 glass or acrylic? If it's acrylic - I say go for the tank. If it's glass - use the rubbermaid tub. Why? You're going to need a large hole in the tank to plumb in the return pump - probably a 2" hole. Acrylic is a snap to drill - glass, not so. I know there are people who fell comfortable drilling into glass, I'm not one of them. You could ask around as see if there's anyone in your area who will drill glass.

The reason i prefer a tank vs. the tub is that the tank is a nice rectangle. That makes it a bit easier to use eggcrate to create sections in your sump for various macro algae, the skimmer, heaters, etc. And you can use pieces of glass or acrylic to create baffles to cut down on micro bubbles getting back into the tank.

The sequence pump sounds like a good deal, though I have reservations. if the pump has been properly maintained (cleaned every few months, plus any other maintenance the manufacturer recommends) all should be well. If the pump has run for 16 months with no maintenance ... this could lead to problems. Try and find out how the pump was taken care of. Are there any signs of rust? Does it make any abnormal noises? Bottom line - this is a good pump, and sounds like a good deal - if it has been taken care of.

As far as the overflow is concerned, I would plan on a minimum of 1" for the returns, assuming you have two overflows. Personally, I'd step up to 1 1/2" x 2.

Yes - most pumps can have their output restricted. However, many manufacturers recommend not cutting back the flow more than 50%, as this puts too much strain on the pump. And don't skimp on this valve - get a good one.

Hope this helps.
    240 gallon Mixed Reef + 46 gallon Mixed Reef + 40 gallon coral prop tank - 180 gallon FOWLR = a little more time and money!

The stories behind my tanks can be found at:
    http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/me...eam-tanks.html

Thanks
    I just found out the 180 is a not a tank, but a "stock tank". I am not sure what that is but the giy thinks it is 2x4x4 oval (he is out of town and cant measure it). So now I need to figure out what that is.

Good advice on the pump. Since I have never run an external, I am not sure what to look for maintenance wise. Maybe it would be smarter to purchase a new one for that reason alone.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wildeone View Post
    I just found out the 180 is a not a tank, but a "stock tank". I am not sure what that is but the giy thinks it is 2x4x4 oval (he is out of town and cant measure it). So now I need to figure out what that is.

Good advice on the pump. Since I have never run an external, I am not sure what to look for maintenance wise. Maybe it would be smarter to purchase a new one for that reason alone.
    Yep - skip the oval tank. You are looking for something like a stock 180, which is 6' long x 2' high x 2' deep. That would make an excellent sump! Lots of room for equipment, etc.

If it were me, and I could afford it, I would get a new pump. You get a full warranty, and as this is the key to your whole filtration system, it's kind of important! That said, I might purchase the used one as a backup. I try and have backups of all my primary equipment. Because when things break, they never break at convenient times - like when stores are open.
    240 gallon Mixed Reef + 46 gallon Mixed Reef + 40 gallon coral prop tank - 180 gallon FOWLR = a little more time and money!

Thanks
    One thing that was recommended to me after I bought a pump that was more powerful than what I needed for a return, was to bleed of as much of the return water to the sump or fuge to create a little flow rather than restricting the pump. If you can do this without your fuge becoming a high flow zone there will be less wear on your pump from not being throttled back, and your get free flow in another area of your system.
    "Noone cares how much you know, untill they know how much you care."
    "Fear Leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering"

Thanks
    Well, I visited the new house to determine where the tank will go and it will not fit where planned. So, after a lot of thought, I have decided to sell off all of my livestock and tear down my tank. I really need to concentrate on selling my house and getting moved into the new place. And, once I get the basement finished I will start over with a much larger system. So I guess this will be, for the most part, the end of this tank project thread. It has been a great time and I have learned so much. But I am not leaving the hobby or TR. I need to stay involved and continue learning. I will still be going to MACNA in September and hopefully getting some great ideas and meeting up with my friends from TR!

Thanks
    awh...bummer Wildeone! That's too bad. I'm sure you're a bit frustrated.

But....won't it be great to plan a new, larger system?! You'll have so much improving what was already a great aquarium.

Best of luck!! And stay around in the meantime!
    Christi

Thanks
    I am sorry to hear you must tear down your tank, but I for one can't wait to see your next build. Good luck in your move and don't be a stranger.
    "Noone cares how much you know, untill they know how much you care."
    "Fear Leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering"

Thanks
    I too am sorry to hear this news. i was looking forward to hearing all about the new set up. I guess we will all just have to wait a little longer.

I hope to meet you and many fellow Talking Reefers at MACNA as well. This will be my first one!

Good luck with the new house and the move.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Well even if you don't have a tank set up you can't leave us here all alone! I am really looking forward to seeing you (and your wife tied on the roof rack) again at MACNA!
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Expert Reefer
    Thanks
    Darn... Sorry to see you go bud. See you next time you resurface :-)

Thanks
    Wow i know this tank thread is like almost a year old but i stumpled across this to find the most amazingly welldone thread ive ever read... Then it comes to a dramtic end sorry guys sellin all my livestock. Way to leave me hanging. And waisting 4 hours of reading when i have Dislexia to make it even more harder... I want my 4 hours back ... Anyways just a memorial for a great thread and a great hobbiest forced to take a break of the hobby
    -Jace

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24

Thread Information