Thread: What's the best salt mix to buy

Apprentice
    Thanks

What's the best salt mix to buy

I would like to know a brand which has Good salts like Instant Ocean (IO), IO Reef Crystals, and Coralife and No nitrates and phosphates ?
    Last edited by ronnyv; 04-18-2008 at 09:17 PM.

Thanks
    Millions of gallons of salt water have been made using the Instant Ocean brand product. I would say, for a new tank, it would work very well. As you advance in the hobby and need a salt with higher calcium/magnesium, etc, then switch to a product like Reef Crystals.
    I have Attention Defic...HEY LOOK, A FISH!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I've been using IO for forty years. It's true, IO comes up short on Calcium (350 ppm instead of 450 ppm) but instead of switching to the more expensive reef Crystals I simply add liquid calcium to my mixed salt water till it tests 450 ppm. That saves a little money and works great.

Dick
    Amphibious

Good Luck comes to those who research and prepare.

Our Talking Reef Forum The Cultured Reef Forum
    My tank journal Amphibious' 135 mixed reef.
    The Cutured Reef toll free number - 888 745-0449

Amblyeleotris randalli commonly, Randall's Goby.

SPS Reefer / TR Admin lReef lKeeper's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I prefer Red Sea Coral Pro. It has a high calcium, alk, and mag content and is only about $55 shipped from foster and smith. It also performed very well in a recent salt study. Although the results are still pending, I have talked to him through emails a few times about it.

Thanks
    I have heard IO is a great salt mix, especially for beginners!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphibious View Post
    I've been using IO for forty years. It's true, IO comes up short on Calcium (350 ppm instead of 450 ppm) but instead of switching to the more expensive reef Crystals I simply add liquid calcium to my mixed salt water till it tests 450 ppm. That saves a little money and works great.
    Dick-

What Ca supplement are you using? I have a few gallons of ESV B-ionic, which would cost about $8 to get 160g of SW from 350->450ppm. I am wondering if your additive is cheaper.

BTW: I've been using Reef Crystals (which is $4 more than IO at MD and F&S) but I do not understand why it is any better than IO (magnesium?). The first bucket I obtained from F&S tested to 345 ppm Ca and the second bucket to 355 ppm. I sent test samples to F&S, and they kindly sent me back the following:

We would like to apologize for the problems you have experienced with your recent purchase of Instant Ocean/Reef Crystals Synthetic Sea Salt. Thank you for sending in your salt sample for testing. After numerous meetings with the Instant Ocean management and operations manager at their manufacturing plant, we can assure you that your concerns have been thoroughly investigated regarding low levels of calcium or magnesium in some Reef Crystals Synthetic Sea Salt you had purchased in 2007.
    We would like to assure you that all of the quality control procedures have been thoroughly analyzed and revised where needed to insure that Instant Ocean and Reef Crystals Sea Salt meet all of the claims made by the manufacturer. In each of their facilities, quality assurance procedures are in place to check incoming raw materials, as well as their in-process operations, and the testing of the final product. Written procedures and systems are in place to ensure compliance, while decreasing the chances for human errors. As part of their commitment to continuous quality improvement, Instant Ocean will regularly review and revise their procedures to deliver the best product on the market. In addition Instant Ocean utilizes outside laboratories to verify their raw materials and final products to ensure adherence to their stringent standards.
    We want to assure you that Drs. Foster and Smith stands behind all of the products we sell, and works closely with the manufacturer if any of our valued customers have concerns with any product we offer. Your complete satisfaction is very important to us, and we appreciate your patience and understanding while we have investigated this matter thoroughly with the manufacturer. We genuinely appreciate your continued support, and if you still have concerns or are not completely satisfied we would appreciate you contacting us at techsupport@drsfostersmith.com .
    Below are the test results from the samples of salt you sent in to Drs. Foster and Smith:
    Salinity- 53mS
    Alk- 12
    Calcium Instant Ocean- 375
    Magnesium-1400
    pH- 8.18
    Temp- 74

Salinity- 53mS
    Alk- 12
    Calcium Instant Ocean-345
    Magnesium-1500
    pH- 8.16
    Temp- 74
    Their one result was slightly elevated than mine, but none were close to the 400-415 Ca I was expecting. I am thinking of jumping on Bobby's Coral Pro bandwagon after I finish these buckets.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    scott, i dont think that you would be disappointed in the salt. i have not had a bad batch yet and i have been using it for a little over a year now. at 78 degrees and 1.025 = cal. 460, alk. 10, and mag. 1350 and the test results are pretty consistant.
    lReef lKeeper (Bobby) Admin and Reefer

Water ...
    Custom 4x2x1 60 gallon, 40B sump

Equipment ...
    6x54w HO T5 fixture, 300+g rated Frankenskimmer, ATO, 3 Media Reactors (1 p04, 1 N03, 1 Carbon)

www.lmas.org

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Scott,

Wow! That is some can of worms you brought to the attention of Drs F&S. Kudos to them for taking it to the source. Very interesting!!! Thanks for sharing it with us.

I've been using Ocean's Blend additives for 5 years. I've tried all brands prior to that. Ocean's Blend is what I'd call a superior brand to the others. It was formulated by a hobbyist about 7 years ago and refined along the way.

He has a concentrated form of Calcium for users who's salt mix comes up short on Calcium. A gallon goes a long way. Let me see what I can get it to you for. He's coming to my home for the first meeting of the Treasure Coast Reef Society.

Dick
    Amphibious

Good Luck comes to those who research and prepare.

Our Talking Reef Forum The Cultured Reef Forum
    My tank journal Amphibious' 135 mixed reef.
    The Cutured Reef toll free number - 888 745-0449

Amblyeleotris randalli commonly, Randall's Goby.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I got some Coral Pro salt at MACNA and have been happy with it too.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Is there clean sources of NSW in england?

dr fosters sure have a way with their customer base, that was a pretty good reply as reply's go actually. I wonder what they will say when i ask for this lattest batch of stool sample to be tested..muhahaha*coughwowthatstinks*haha

Vquilibrium Productions

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by veriann View Post
    dr fosters sure have a way with their customer base, that was a pretty good reply as reply's go actually.
    When I requested to receive the test results, I was only half expecting a reply. They certainly go the extra mile. They not only sent a second bucket of salt to me when my first one was delayed in shipment, but also supplied me with 32 oz in both part 1&2 B-ionic when I first reprted that my Ca was low. This was with only my word that my Ca was low. I was more than happy to send them samples (for which they sent shipping labels), and was delighted to hear back. Most companies would probably just sweep such complaints under the rug.

It is hard to complain about F&S's limited selection of quality skimmers and controllers (and most higher end stuff), as well as the inclusion of some dubious products that I would well steer clear of when the customer support and shipping rates are so outstanding. I wish I could do all my online purchases through them.

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    wow - thats orsome! they sound like a cool compa......wait a sec! yep ok, now if you dont mind tipping some of those company royalties into my membership account now please cause its alittle out of date! share the wealth they say.

Vquilibrium Productions

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Scott, I am very impressed with that response!
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    its also nice to see that SOME online vendors care enough to go through all of that to protect their customers/hobbyists.
    lReef lKeeper (Bobby) Admin and Reefer

Water ...
    Custom 4x2x1 60 gallon, 40B sump

Equipment ...
    6x54w HO T5 fixture, 300+g rated Frankenskimmer, ATO, 3 Media Reactors (1 p04, 1 N03, 1 Carbon)

www.lmas.org

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    I've heard that Tropic Marin Pro Reef is a great salt mix.
    The only thing that happens fast in this hobby is a catastrophe

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    i heard typing in bold is code for i a have a little winky!

*like dropping a stinky in the lift, i walk off before you arrive as i already mentally see the reaction* muhahahaha

Vquilibrium Productions

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by veriann View Post
    i heard typing in bold is code for i a have a little winky!

*like dropping a stinky in the lift, i walk off before you arrive as i already mentally see the reaction* muhahahaha
    Gives new meaning to the term Down Under, huh? Are you all obsessed this way?
    The only thing that happens fast in this hobby is a catastrophe

Thread Information