Thread: Lens question

Expert Reefer
    Thanks

Lens question

the camera that i have takes decent pics, but i would like to be able to take macro shots, the close-ups ive seen from a lot of people on this site look awesome. so, i was browsin around lenses for my camera that i have and came across a "30mm High Grade 1.7X Telephoto Conversion Lens".
    i have a sony digital camera...

if the link to the actual lense would help, here it is.

VCL-DH1730 | VCL-DH1730 30mm High Grade 1.7X Telephoto Conversion Lens | Sony | SonyStyle USA

will this "telephoto lens" give me the same results as a maco lens? is it the same thing, just a different name?

im a total :: when it comes to cameras and photography.... lol

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    No. This may be an interesting addition to your camera but it is not Macro. You will see the word Macro on a lens that is capable of Macro shots.

I use "close-up rings" on my Nikon D70 lens which isn't as good as a Macro lens but a whole lot cheaper. The Macro lens I'd like is $500+, the rings were $70 if I'm not mistaken. You might want to look into those.
    Amphibious

Good Luck comes to those who research and prepare.

Our Talking Reef Forum The Cultured Reef Forum
    My tank journal Amphibious' 135 mixed reef.
    The Cutured Reef toll free number - 888 745-0449

Amblyeleotris randalli commonly, Randall's Goby.

Expert Reefer
    Thanks
    yea, the problem with that is the type of cam that i have, this is pretty much the only thing thats made for the close up shots, unless i can find a 3rd party lens...

im also looking at some stuff for my gf's camera... she has a kodak easyshare... for that one i had found a HD wide angle lens and also a fisheye lens that says it comes with a macro lens as well... i believe both are 50$

the macro lense attachment does say MACRO on it. so..yea...maybe ill go with one of them instead... which would u choose?
    Last edited by pvtdonut; 04-16-2008 at 12:04 PM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphibious View Post
    You will see the word Macro on a lens that is capable of Macro shots.
    Unless its Nikon and then it says Micro. Go figure.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

SPS Reefer / TR Admin lReef lKeeper's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    you would also be amazed at how good the pics turn out with a tripod being used !! most of the pics that i post now are using a tripod. in my macro pics ... that is a $700+ lens that belongs to a buddy of mine. kodak has this lens available too ...

45X WIDE ANGLE LENS WITH FREE MINI TRIPOD WAWMNTRP
    lReef lKeeper (Bobby) Admin and Reefer

Water ...
    Custom 4x2x1 60 gallon, 40B sump

Equipment ...
    6x54w HO T5 fixture, 300+g rated Frankenskimmer, ATO, 3 Media Reactors (1 p04, 1 N03, 1 Carbon)

www.lmas.org

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Expert Reefer
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lReef lKeeper View Post
    you would also be amazed at how good the pics turn out with a tripod being used !! most of the pics that i post now are using a tripod. in my macro pics ... that is a $700+ lens that belongs to a buddy of mine. kodak has this lens available too ...

that was one of the ones i found and considered getting.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I am not sure what you linked is a lens, it could be a tele converter. The name they used is a bit odd if it is not a tele converter. What a tele converter does is go between the camera body and the normal lens. There is a lens in the tele converter that essentially lengthens the focal length of the lens attached to it. Tele converter work like macro tubes in the way they are set up, but perform different functions. Macro tubes are essentially just tubes, they do not make your lens a longer focal length per say but they allow one to focus on objects very close to the lens allowing for "macro" shots. The tele converter does not allow for macro shots it just makes your 70mm a 120mm or something to that effect depending on the tele converter. This can be used to get pictures of small things because it is a "longer" lens but it will not produce the close quality pictures that a macro lens would be capable of. The are also lens that can be screwed onto the front of the lens, they are called close up filters. These will work okay but are also not as good as a macro lens. I have the filters and a macro lens, i havent used the filters since the macro arrived. One more note about tele-converters, they will decrease the amount of light getting to your film by 1-2 stops. That is like using 400 ISO film but having to shoot the film at 100iso, you lose 2 stops. You will also lose light with extension tubes but it is less loss than a tele-converter.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    i just saw your latest posted link and i believe that is a lens that is much like a close up filter. It is not a new lens! It is just a slip cover you might say. It slides over your old lens and works like a magnifying glass. This will not produce great macro shots because the light is being bent many times. It gets bent going through each lens or filter, the fewer the better. One should also remember that the water is also bending the light along with the tank material. With aquarium and camera gear you often get what you pay for.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lReef lKeeper View Post

Yep! I am a big believer in a tripod, especially for macro photography.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    I just spent close to 400.00 on a new macro lens for my cannon. Been using for only 2 days and I already know it was worth every penny. Now If i could just get the fish to hold still.

Thread Information