Thread: new show idea

Thanks

new show idea

I have an idea for an upcoming show. I would like to see a "what if" show.
    A list of common and not so common disasters, that can and do happen everyday and what to do about them. While I know that TR is an invaluable resource in times of need there are times when minutes count and it would be nice to have at least a few basic procedures to put in place before coming to the boards to look for more in depth solutions.
    just a thought
    "Noone cares how much you know, untill they know how much you care."
    "Fear Leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering"

SPS Reefer / TR Admin lReef lKeeper's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    do you have anything specific in mind ?? EVERYTHING bad in this hobby happens fast. there is really no general way to do anything like that (i wish there were though). sounds like a great idea ... if we can get some sort of idea on what problems would be considered everyday disasters.
    lReef lKeeper (Bobby) Admin and Reefer

Water ...
    Custom 4x2x1 60 gallon, 40B sump

Equipment ...
    6x54w HO T5 fixture, 300+g rated Frankenskimmer, ATO, 3 Media Reactors (1 p04, 1 N03, 1 Carbon)

www.lmas.org

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    i was thinking temp/salinity swings, overdose of meds/suplaments, something spilled or dropped into the tank, etc. Unfortunately my limited time in the hobby is keeping me from imagining the worst, any others feel free to chime in.
    "Noone cares how much you know, untill they know how much you care."
    "Fear Leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering"

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    those three that you mentioned are pretty serious mishaps. usually the ONE key thing to fix all of those mishaps is ... a BIG water change. you will find that pretty much everything can be corrected or prevented with water changes. hence ... one of the reasons we do water changes in the first place. lol

kinda like a win win with water changes !!

Water ...

Equipment ...
    6x54w HO T5 fixture, 300+g rated Frankenskimmer, ATO, 3 Media Reactors (1 p04, 1 N03, 1 Carbon)

www.lmas.org

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    How about what to do when your 2 year old smashes the your display open with a hard object? That's what I worry about the most...

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    lol, i guess a water change would not work in that situation ... UNLESS you count running around and collecting all of your livestock and throwing them all in a tank of water that you JUST made up and got to temp for a water change the next day. either way ... they both sound like they would suck !!

Water ...

Equipment ...

www.lmas.org

Thanks
    that is a good idea for a show topic..
    let see what list of items i can get together for this...

Please post ideas for topics in this thread and i will gather them up and see what i can do with them
    Show people you appreciate there advice, click the icon under there name and give them Reputation points

Thanks
    What if...

Prolonged Power Failure *shudder*
    ><((((ş>`·.¸¸.·´Ż`·.¸.·´Ż`·...¸><((((ş>
    ·´Ż`·.¸. , . .·´Ż`·.. >((((ş>

"Fins to the left...Fins to the Right, I'm going home to play with my reef tonight..."

If you're looking for me, and I'm MIA from the board, email me at JustDavidP (at) gmail (dot) com.

Experience in aquaria, 37 years. Experience in marine, 22+ years. Experience in Reef Keeping, 8 years. Always a newbie!

Thanks
    I would definatly enjoy that one living in hurricane central! have been doing a LOT of wondering since the season is about a month away!
    wow, time to update!!

125 gl reef
    37 gl sump/fuge
    3x250 20k radiums
    dual uverflows
    Most people have skeletons in their closet, mine are in my sump!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    dumb hurricanes

Thanks
    If I am not mistaken, Rob did cover the UPS/Power Generator/Power Inverter thing in a past episode, and othere preparedness tasks (like wrapping a tank in styrofoam/blankets) - which would largely cover power outages.

I just borrowed a Kill-o-Watt meter to measure my tank's usage. Maximum of 250W, 3.0amps (all pumps on, lights off, heater on), 420W (including lights)This will help me gauge what power generator to buy. I hope to buy an inverter type that is quiet. The smaller Honda and Yamaha units seem the quietest. A natural gas unit would be handy, but that seems to drive up the price and limit the options. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Assistant Moderator Skurvey Dog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by laurabolyard View Post
    I would definatly enjoy that one living in hurricane central! have been doing a LOT of wondering since the season is about a month away!
    Don't you dare say that ugly 9 letter word! You'll put a pox on us all! We're long over due for a rehaul. Varrryyy Scarwwwwy

Will your voice count?
    One new reefer, another voice united with the many against ignorance and greed. Educate, influence, good stewardship, all in one accord to work together as a whole in saving our reefs.

"Get Reefy With It!"

Thanks
    This may sound ridiculous, but I have one of those converter boxes that either plug into a cigarette lighter, or you can use the cables to hook it to your car battery. It gives you two electrical outles. If you have/get a spare car battery, it really works great in a pinch. After living through 10 days with no power, this was very valuable! I just set the battery on the counter, and plugged in the portable TV and a lamp. Battery low, JUMPER CABLES!! I know that it would at least run my pump. I still dont have a generator
    I hope to this year, but in case of an emergency...
    wow, time to update!!

125 gl reef
    37 gl sump/fuge
    3x250 20k radiums
    dual uverflows
    Most people have skeletons in their closet, mine are in my sump!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Rob, you could include tank leaks in this episode.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by laurabolyard View Post
    This may sound ridiculous, but I have one of those converter boxes that either plug into a cigarette lighter, or you can use the cables to hook it to your car battery. It gives you two electrical outles. If you have/get a spare car battery, it really works great in a pinch. After living through 10 days with no power, this was very valuable! I just set the battery on the counter, and plugged in the portable TV and a lamp. Battery low, JUMPER CABLES!! I know that it would at least run my pump. I still dont have a generator
    I hope to this year, but in case of an emergency...
    I think that a deep cycle marine battery is supposed to be best to use in this situation.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CarmieJo View Post
    I think that a deep cycle marine battery is supposed to be best to use in this situation.
    I have a friend who has a cabin, and their electricity needs are entirely met by a series of marine deep cycle batteries hooked up to a solar panel system. This seems to be a viable alternative to a power generator, I just have to figure out how far a single battery will take me..

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CarmieJo View Post
    Rob, you could include tank leaks in this episode.
    +1

This is a great idea!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rroselavy View Post
    If I am not mistaken, Rob did cover the UPS/Power Generator/Power Inverter thing in a past episode, and othere preparedness tasks (like wrapping a tank in styrofoam/blankets) - which would largely cover power outages.

I just borrowed a Kill-o-Watt meter to measure my tank's usage. Maximum of 250W, 3.0amps (all pumps on, lights off, heater on), 420W (including lights)This will help me gauge what power generator to buy. I hope to buy an inverter type that is quiet. The smaller Honda and Yamaha units seem the quietest. A natural gas unit would be handy, but that seems to drive up the price and limit the options. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
    yes, power outages, even long term (hurricane prep) has been covered on both full length episodes, and TRL shows. check the podcast feed, or search the podcast directory.. most of the topics mentioned here were discussed at length.
    Show people you appreciate there advice, click the icon under there name and give them Reputation points

Thanks
    I know I'm from California.... Not for long ...but earthquakes I'm allways worried about them.

Thanks

Thanks
    Wow there isn't to many "What if" out there. All most every thing that could happen. Could be fixed or prevented with commonsense.

Now here is a good one. How to prepared for some thing to happen? So say if a pump goes out and you should have a spare one.

Thread Information