Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Skimmer Advice for 29g

Thanks
    CJ!! That's an incredibly brilliant idea I love it! I'm sure it keeps the macro in order too! Bravo...

Dave
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. >((((º>

"Fins to the left...Fins to the Right, I'm going home to play with my reef tonight..."

If you're looking for me, and I'm MIA from the board, email me at JustDavidP (at) gmail (dot) com.

Experience in aquaria, 37 years. Experience in marine, 22+ years. Experience in Reef Keeping, 8 years. Always a newbie!

Apprentice
    Thanks

Unhappy

Ok guys I need more help, I'm getting really frustrated with this skimmer. We let this darn skimmer on for 2 WHOLE days, and still all these dang microbubbles wont stop. We have tried the sponge on the return, but it wont let the water pass through fast enough and it over flows. Anything else I can try???

I have a Coral Life 120 skimmer. If that helps anyone.
    JENN

Thanks
    Where is the skimmer? In the 10 gallon sump? Hanging on the tank? If it's on the tank, can you put it in the sump? If it's in the sump, does the sump have baffles?

Dave

"Fins to the left...Fins to the Right, I'm going home to play with my reef tonight..."

If you're looking for me, and I'm MIA from the board, email me at JustDavidP (at) gmail (dot) com.

Experience in aquaria, 37 years. Experience in marine, 22+ years. Experience in Reef Keeping, 8 years. Always a newbie!

Thanks

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Jenn4183 View Post
    I have a HOT skimmer on my 29 gallon reef (Variety of different corals) fish (hawk fish, snowflake eel, soon to get a six line and fire fish) tank and is suppose to skim up to 100 gallons.

Thanks
    Sump it. Reduced flow through the sump will help too. You don't really need water surging through a sump.

Apprentice
    Thanks
    Thanks JustDavidP! Sorry if I'm being a pain in the rear, I just wish I could get it work properly.

It is a HOB skimmer, I don't have a sump would love to have one, but I dont have room for one yet.

All i have is a HOB skimmer, a HOB filter, and a HOB refugium (we made it out of a clear HOB filter) Everything is working great and no other problems with anything else. Water test are perfect, except for all the micro bubble shooting out of the skimmer that won't stop. It still seems to be skimming the bubble are just annoying.

Thanks again!
    JENN

Thanks
    In some cases, skimmers just need time to break in. The bubbles decline or stop. In other cases, they'll never stop. You would need to make some sort of trap to catch them. CPR sells one for their bak-pak products. It's on this page with Dr. Fosters:

Google Image Result for http://www.drsfostersmith.com/images/Categoryimages/thumbnail/th_790039_19630.jpg

If you could get something like that to fit the effluent end of your skimmer, it may work. If you know anyone who is good with acrylic, they could make one tailored to fit.

The other thing to keep in mind is that any skimmer will start to bubble more when you feed oily foods, put additives in the water (like B-Ionics) etc. These scenarios change the surface tension of the water, making the bubbles tougher to burst and therefore, they travel through the system.

Dave

Apprentice
    Thanks

All i have is a HOB skimmer, a HOB filter, and a HOB refugium (we made it out of a clear HOB filter)
    I just thought I'd chime in on the bolded part. I did the same thing. I turned a 60 gallon HOB filter into a mini fuge. I too have a 29 gallon tank.

As far as the bubble advice, I know my CPR Bak Pak isn't spitting bubbles out. The thing that apparently is keeping it from happening is the little bubble stopper which is merely a really tight netting material. When I say tight I mean the holes in the net are tiny. It clasps on using a plastic ring that tightens. When I get home (if I remember, I make no promises ) I will take a picture of it to give you an idea of what it looks like. It is far less bulky than that big box Dr Foster and Smith Sells.

Apprentice
    Thanks
    Thanks Noobeef!! I had a pigmy seahorse living in mine. It was a male, he had babies then died 2 days after giving birth (I heard that was typical of them) so we are going to get a female next time to see if we have better luck with them.

I'll be looking for those pics. I al ready to try anything at this point with this darn skimmer.
    JENN

Thanks

Smile

I just ordered the Tunze Nano. So I'll let you now how it works out.

Apprentice
    Thanks
    Well to give you guys an update, I took my skimmer off my 29 reef and put it on my 65 long FOLR tank and it is working great! No bubbles. I am going to try to get different skimmer for my 29.

Hey Noobeef is the CPR Bak Pak a HOB skimmer?
    JENN

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    sorry to be a butt-inski! CPR bak paks are HOB

KAN > i've used the tunze nano skimmer for a while. they're great, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Apprentice
    Thanks
    Well to give you guys an update, I took my skimmer off my 29 reef and put it on my 65 long FOLR tank and it is working great! No bubbles. I am going to try to get different skimmer for my 29.

Hey Noobeef is the CPR Bak Pak a HOB skimmer?

Yes, the CPR Bak Pak is HOB. In case you are still interested in the netting I was talking about, the dude I get the skimmer from on ebay sells the same thing seperately.

Bubble Screen

Here's a picture of it in action. The skimmer is going and there are little to no bubbles.

Last edited by Noobeef; 03-27-2008 at 12:21 PM.

Thanks
    Well I had the Tunze Nano skimmer now for a few days and it is working good. After the a good day to break in it quiet and works great. Now if I have any problems I'll make sure I'll post them. So everyone knows then.

Assistant Moderator Skurvey Dog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Glad to hear that things are running smoothly for you Kan!

Will your voice count?
    One new reefer, another voice united with the many against ignorance and greed. Educate, influence, good stewardship, all in one accord to work together as a whole in saving our reefs.

"Get Reefy With It!"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information