Thread: Dick's "Nine Simple Rules" to buying fish.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Dick's "Nine Simple Rules" to buying fish.

We've all done it!!! Bought fish on impulse only to be sorry and usually poorer later. Money wasted in an expensive hobby is counter productive. If you want to wast money, send it to me!!!

Here are my rules when looking to purchase a fish. Yes, I follow my rules.

1. Look past the beauty. Most of us see the beauty in the fish and buy it. In my lifetime, I have interrupted many people looking to buy an obviously sick or distressed fish. I'll walk up to them and say, "I wouldn't buy that fish, if it were my choice". That leads to a conversation about why. It gave me many opportunities to teach a newbie a lesson and gain a friend. So, look past the beauty is lesson number one.

2. Thoroughly look for external parasites. If visible, avoid it like the plaque. It isn't that you can't cure it with quarantine, copper, dips and a good feeding regimen. You risk contaminating your home tank environment no matter how careful you are. It isn't worth it.

3. Always request to see the fish eat. If the LFS refuses for any reason or excuse, don't buy it. Tell the LFS, you will not be buying it for that reason!

4. Put a hold on the fish for 24 hours minimum, longer if possible. You could say, "Would you hold this fish for a couple of days for me?". If they agree, make sure they mark the tank that that fish is sold, with your name on it. If there are multiple specimens choose one and be sure it's marked properly. There may be six specimens but you may want a specific one. If it isn't there when you go back, be skeptical of the rest and willing to walk away.

5. Never buy on impulse. Ha!!! This is so hard to resist but, so important. That's one reason for putting a hold on the fish. You need time to check your emotions besides allowing the fish to show it's true colors. Don't be afraid to go back to the LFS and decline the fish. Make sure you are ready to quarantine and that the fish "fits" your display tank.

6. Research. While the fish is on hold, do your research on the fish. Ask yourself questions, can I take care of this fish? Is it appropriate for my system? Is it's ADULT size compatible with my current tank? Never buy a fish that "fits" into your current tank on the basis that you are going to upgrade before it outgrows your current system. The future is totally unpredictable, live in the now. There will be another specimen of that fish when your system is appropriate. Trying to stunt it is not an option, it's cruelty.

7. System readiness. First prerequisite last on the list because system readiness should be a given. If you are in the aquarium hobby, your system's working ability should be top notch, fine tuned and ready for anything with few exceptions (like power failures).

Following these seven simple rules will help bring more enjoyment and less expense to your reefing hobby. It will make the statement, "Happy Reefing" more than a cliché.

Happy Reefing!

Dick
    Amphibious

Good Luck comes to those who research and prepare.

Our Talking Reef Forum The Cultured Reef Forum
    My tank journal Amphibious' 135 mixed reef.
    The Cutured Reef toll free number - 888 745-0449

Amblyeleotris randalli commonly, Randall's Goby.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

You run the risk buying on line.

The Internet is becoming a viable option in buying livestock for our DTs.

Be sure you realize, you take the responsibility for your purchase as soon as you click the buy button.

Yep, they have a live arrival guarantee. For the most part it's worth less than the cyber space it's written on. Usually, 99% of the time, it states, "credit will be given on your next order". Do you see what they just did??? You want your money's worth so you place another order. It's a game of "Gotcha".

That isn't to say there aren't good on-line suppliers. It's a warning that you are responsible to research first. How do you research on-line suppliers? Ask here if anyone has had experience with the on-line supplier you're thinking about using. It doesn't guarantee your order will be handled properly but could help you avoid a "bad" supplier. They are out there in "cyber land".

Happy Reefing.

Dick
    Last edited by Amphibious; 03-15-2008 at 11:14 AM.
    Amphibious

Crispy Reef Monkey **MOD** Phurst's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Somebody sticky this.

Great post Dick.
    **KEEP ME AWAY FROM SUPER GLUE ... i tend to glue my lips shut !!**

Assistant Moderator Skurvey Dog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Excellent write-up Dick! We've needed this posted for some time now as I've seen some of these issues in posts made over the last few months.

Will your voice count?
    One new reefer, another voice united with the many against ignorance and greed. Educate, influence, good stewardship, all in one accord to work together as a whole in saving our reefs.

"Get Reefy With It!"

Thanks
    Stuff like this should be required reading for all newbies. I wish I had seen this three years ago when I started in this hobby.

Thanks
    Once I go through all of those steps...I am the pain in the butt customer that always asks them to catch the fish without a net. I hate watching people catch a fish with a net , smashing them half of the time, then squeeze it with the net between their fingers, then let it slide through the squeezed net into the bag or box. Maybe it is just coincidence, but I always have better luck with fish that don't get netted.

Catching a fish in an LFS tank without a net is easier than you think. Just put one of those clear boxes down on the bottom, on it's short end, up against the wall facing left or right. If you put your hand, or anything else, in the tank and follow the wall around CW or CCW the fish will always go away from you try to herd them alogn the glass and they quickly swim into the open box, then scoop the box out.

To quote Ron Burgundy..."60% of the time, it works every time"

SPS Reefer / TR Admin lReef lKeeper's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    this is now a sticky and i moved it to the general fish forum.

GREAT article Dick !! wonder if we can get you on a Live Podcast ??
    lReef lKeeper (Bobby) Admin and Reefer

Water ...
    Custom 4x2x1 60 gallon, 40B sump

Equipment ...
    6x54w HO T5 fixture, 300+g rated Frankenskimmer, ATO, 3 Media Reactors (1 p04, 1 N03, 1 Carbon)

www.lmas.org

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks Ampage. not like your sticky enough though!

Vquilibrium Productions

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lReef lKeeper View Post
    this is now a sticky and i moved it to the general fish forum.

GREAT article Dick !! wonder if we can get you on a Live Podcast ??
    Thank you, everyone. It's common sense really but, many hobbyists keep making the same mistakes. I hope this brings clarity to the art of picking specimens that have a good chance to live in our care.

You know guys, (and girls), I owe you all an apology. I truly have meant to pick up the phone and make that call on TR Live. I know I would enjoy talking with you. Maybe even add something of importance to the conversation. Since TR Live started a few months ago, I think about it a few days in advance, maybe even during the day of a call. Then, somewhere around 9:30/10 pm, I come to my computer to check e-mails, go on TR and there is that notice near the top, "TR Live is on now" or something like that. I feel so bad, but I keep forgetting about it at the time to get on. Is it senility setting in??? All of you know that I care deeply about my friends on TR. Look at the time right now - 4:25 am. I couldn't sleep. Where am I? On TR!!!

Carmie is so good at PMing me when she wants me to respond to a post, maybe she could jog me to reality on Sunday after noon. I hate to have to rely on her, though. I'll do better.

Dick
    Amphibious

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    not really a big deal Dick, we ALL have lives that require 30 hours a day to get everything done !! we will see if we can give you a little nudge the evening of the next show. kinda like a tap on the shoulder. i think that you would have a really great time doing the show with us AND interacting with everyone in the chatroom (we all know how you like to help) !!

Water ...

Equipment ...
    6x54w HO T5 fixture, 300+g rated Frankenskimmer, ATO, 3 Media Reactors (1 p04, 1 N03, 1 Carbon)

www.lmas.org

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Dick, this is a great article!
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thank you, Carmie.
    Amphibious

Thanks
    Great read and so very true. I'm online tonght, just to research a fish that I may buy a Rainford's Goby.

Dave
    ><((((ş>`ˇ.¸¸.ˇ´Ż`ˇ.¸.ˇ´Ż`ˇ...¸><((((ş>
    ˇ´Ż`ˇ.¸. , . .ˇ´Ż`ˇ.. >((((ş>

"Fins to the left...Fins to the Right, I'm going home to play with my reef tonight..."

If you're looking for me, and I'm MIA from the board, email me at JustDavidP (at) gmail (dot) com.

Experience in aquaria, 37 years. Experience in marine, 22+ years. Experience in Reef Keeping, 8 years. Always a newbie!

Thanks
    Awesome Dick! I'd also like to add to the section on buying a juvenile fish with the hopes of upgrading in order to accommodate it. Not only is there the possibility that the upgrade never happens, but you could also end up tearing your entire tank apart to try to catch the fish!

And I think QUARANTINE should be added to the last rule of BUYING NEW FISH!! If only we all would do this, we could save hours of frustration and wads of bills!
    Christi

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Reefbaby View Post
    Awesome Dick! I'd also like to add to the section on buying a juvenile fish with the hopes of upgrading in order to accommodate it. Not only is there the possibility that the upgrade never happens, but you could also end up tearing your entire tank apart to try to catch the fish!

And I think QUARANTINE should be added to the last rule of BUYING NEW FISH!! If only we all would do this, we could save hours of frustration and wads of bills!
    Absolutely, Christi. After I posted this mini article, I thought of a couple of more things to expound about. Quarantine being one of them. I'm working on that and will post a bit later.

Today is the day Sue and I work on the building because she is off until 10 pm this evening. Need her assistance outside, in fact she is out there working. I need to join her. Chat at you guys later.

Dick
    Amphibious

Thanks
    I think this post should be the groundwork for an article, from Dick, for an upcoming Reef Readers... all in favor... say 'eye'.

D
    ><((((ş>`ˇ.¸¸.ˇ´Ż`ˇ.¸.ˇ´Ż`ˇ...¸><((((ş>
    ˇ´Ż`ˇ.¸. , . .ˇ´Ż`ˇ.. >((((ş>

"Fins to the left...Fins to the Right, I'm going home to play with my reef tonight..."

If you're looking for me, and I'm MIA from the board, email me at JustDavidP (at) gmail (dot) com.

Experience in aquaria, 37 years. Experience in marine, 22+ years. Experience in Reef Keeping, 8 years. Always a newbie!

Thanks
    Aye, I, eye!!!!
    Christi

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    A-y-e!!!!!
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    AYE !! or how ever it is spelled in this instance. i think i got it right though.

Water ...

Equipment ...

www.lmas.org

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Ha ha ha, you guys should have taken your lead from Christi. She was leaving nothing to chance, "Aye, I, eye!!!!"

OK, I'll be working on an expanded version.

Dick
    Amphibious

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Dick, let one of us know when you post it so we can close the thread and make it a non reply posted sticky. that way there will not be any other posts to clutter the article and cause confusion for the newbies.

Water ...

Equipment ...

www.lmas.org

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    You asked for it, you got it. The new expanded article is titled, "Nine simple Rules". It was posted late last night in the General Marine Discussion Forum. Here's the link - http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/ge...regretted.html

Dick
    Amphibious

Thread Information