Thread: RO/DI Water Exp. Date?

Thanks

RO/DI Water Exp. Date?

How long can I keep RO/DI Water in a Tub with a lid on before it goes bad/Stagnate?
    Can you tell some one, that you made an Ocean in your room?

Thanks
    I don't think there is really any set time, but it's easily good for at least a month. Just make sure you aerate it before dumping it in your tank and you should be fine

Keep in mind that you want to make RODI every now and then so your filter doesn't dry out because once that happens, you gotta replace it. I usually make it every 2 weeks.

Thanks
    well, i cant say for sure, but i tested this one with my handheld TDS meter.

i had water in a 10 gallon Rubbermaid storage bin for abot 2 months, it read with a rather high TDS some where around 35-45 if i remember right.

my water comes out of my RO/DI at 0.
    i need to replace my filters now, but once i get new ones i will do some more tests
    Show people you appreciate there advice, click the icon under there name and give them Reputation points

Thanks
    interesting... i have always heard that if the bucket is sealed then RO/DI can stay indefinately.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kj_yoda
    interesting... i have always heard that if the bucket is sealed then RO/DI can stay indefinately.
    yeah, thats what i thought..
    again, this was not a scientific test or anythign, and it could haev been a total fluke, so please take it with a grain of salt.. (no pun intended.. )

but when i get my new filters installed, i will do some tests with this.
    Show people you appreciate there advice, click the icon under there name and give them Reputation points

Thanks
    Remember that deionized water has been....well... deionized And as nature would have it...it REALLY, REALLY wants to bond with SOMETHING...anything...Bueller..Bueller.... Sorry... I need sugar!

In any case, IF you kept it in a sterile environment, in a container that is not susceptible to breaking down, and AIR TIGHT, you may be okay. But even the snap on trash can lids, salt bucket lids etc. do not provide enough protection.

All it takes is for airborne particles to get in, or anything like a dirty hose, heater, powerhead, net, etc. that is not sterile, to touch the water..and VIOLA.. the deionized matter has now found something to bond with. BINGO.. TDS rises!

Dave
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. >((((º>

"Fins to the left...Fins to the Right, I'm going home to play with my reef tonight..."

If you're looking for me, and I'm MIA from the board, email me at JustDavidP (at) gmail (dot) com.

Experience in aquaria, 37 years. Experience in marine, 22+ years. Experience in Reef Keeping, 8 years. Always a newbie!

Thanks
    Well, question about the RODI drying out.. I turn the main water off that is going to the RODI unit.. I still see water in the filters and the DI... Should I always leave the shut of valve on the unit at all times?
    I just want to fill 1g jugs to top off my 40g tank... thats why i want to fill allot then don't have to make them every week
    Can you tell some one, that you made an Ocean in your room?

Thanks
    prolly so, that way there is less potential for air getting in and drying stuff up, right?

Thanks
    humm intresting
    Live life to the fullest you next breath is not promised to you!!

Thanks
    Whatcha interested in over there in Trinidad my friend? DI water?

Yeah... the basis of DI water NEEDING to "bond" is what spurs the "to drink or not to drink" debate over DI water consumption. Some felt that if you drink this water, it could cause problems, to include the chance of ulceration of the stomach etc. I think it's bunk. As a matter of fact, using that same phillosophy, one could say that DI water is a "cleanser" and can strip you of the IMPURITIES within....whatever... I think it just tastes nasty (No offense Roberto)

When dissolved solids are removed from water, the resulting water is "hungry". In the case of DI, you can literally use it for cleaning purposes. It will help lift grease, wax etc. because it WANTS To stick to something. DI water is used in "manufacturing rinses" all the time; from the production of computer chips, to the treatment of automobiles chassis before painting. It's amazing!

Did you know that DI water can not "conduct" electricity either? DO NOT EXPERIMENT WITH THIS!!! I'd not want you to find out the "hard way" that your water is not as pure as you think But, in any case, this is true. It's often used as an insulation medium! For what it's worth, WATER is NOT capable of conducting, it is the impurities in the water that actually "conduct".

As a matter of fact, for those of you who use Total Dissolved Solid (TDS) meters, that technology is based upon the surveying of electrical current in the water...the more pure the water, the lower the conductivity. 0 PPM= Good water and no chance of electroconductivity 350 PPM = sludge and the ability of transfer.

Dave

"Fins to the left...Fins to the Right, I'm going home to play with my reef tonight..."

If you're looking for me, and I'm MIA from the board, email me at JustDavidP (at) gmail (dot) com.

Experience in aquaria, 37 years. Experience in marine, 22+ years. Experience in Reef Keeping, 8 years. Always a newbie!

Thanks
    great explanation, as usual dave.. and no offense taken..
    when i stated drinking it i was a little.. well.. surprise at the taste, but since have become accustomed to it.. and now everything else just taste nasty...lol

Thanks
    hehe thanks guys. lots of facts there david.
    Live life to the fullest you next breath is not promised to you!!

Thanks
    Reading Dave's posts, I get a science lesson every day. Great Post Dave!

Thanks
    Yeah everyone always tells me "you know just enough about everything .. to get you into trouble...but not enough about one thing.. to be an expert"

Ah well... I'm sure you too have found that it is SOOOO easy to learn something.. that you love. Believe you me... in school, I HATED chemistry etc. Now, I'm all excited about new test kits.... Doooh... I am weird eh?

D

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JustDavidP
    Did you know that DI water can not "conduct" electricity either? DO NOT EXPERIMENT WITH THIS!!! I'd not want you to find out the "hard way" that your water is not as pure as you think But, in any case, this is true. It's often used as an insulation medium! For what it's worth, WATER is NOT capable of conducting, it is the impurities in the water that actually "conduct".

Dave,
    I just have to say this, but pure di water does conduct, however it is at a scale that any measurign tools that we in the aquarium trade would not be able to measure. Sice once the water is devoid of other ions, the dissasociated protons and hydroxides are there giving a conductivity of 0.0548 µS/cm at 25 °C (the ratign of conductivty is at a stp, t beign 25 C)
    Adam J

you would think with a degree and professional career i could actually spell words correctly. sory.

Thanks
    well one thing about highly purified water, is that it can be "supercooled"
    pure water can remain in liquid form below 0 C.

this is because the formation of ice crystals depends on having some surface for them to attach to. so with water that is highly purified, it doesn't have the small contaminations that ice crystals would normally use to grow on... ..

Thanks
    Be careful that you do not heat RO/DI water. This is b/c it will EXPLODE, if you put anything in it. It will superheat. I saw this on the Mythbusters.

Thanks
    My friend, and sanity check, Adam... you are correct.

I remembered having problems in "lab" because I was getting readings from rinse solutions that I didn't expect to see. I remember Professor Robinson saying that you should get ZERO readings with the DI rinse because it had NO conductivity. (side bar... the reason I was getting a reading was because I am and always was "sloppy" and often contaminated experiments I still do that to this day...you have to see the mess in my rotifer cultures. I've got MONSTER brine shrimp in them now *sigh*)

However, after reading back into my notebook and text (Yes, I graduated in 1990 and STILL have my books ) and found this....

"DI Water conductivities can range from a low of about 1 - 2 microsiemens, up to about 10 - 15 microsiemens"

This supports your note...and further supports why typical hobby grade tools would not show a reading.

Thanks bud... I always say that I'D HATE to put "bad info" out there..and I'm glad someone is looking over my shoulder.

Dave

Thread Information