Thread: WTB A Chiller

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Smile WTB A Chiller

I have put new MH lights on my tank & put up a sheet to try to keep more of the light in the tank, well it raised the temp., Now I making a hood for my tank & I figure after getting it done & putting it on the tank, that will be enough to really raise the temp., so I figure I'll need a chiller.
    If anyone has one that they want to get rid of, please contact me.

Thanks & enjoy the hobby
    dwref

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I have a 1/4 hp, two years old. What size tank?
    Amphibious

Good Luck comes to those who research and prepare.

Our Talking Reef Forum The Cultured Reef Forum
    My tank journal Amphibious' 135 mixed reef.
    The Cutured Reef toll free number - 888 745-0449

Amblyeleotris randalli commonly, Randall's Goby.

Thanks
    Wait a minute, you said you put a sheet up to hold the light in, its not a bed sheet is it? I wouldn't put anything flammable like that near MHs.

I would make sure your hood is well vented with a couple computer fans. You may not need to go the chiller route if you keep the bulbs ventillated. A chiller is a great investment if you have no alternative, but they can be noisy and they are one more thing that uses electricity.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

WTB Chiller

My tank is a 125 gallon, what was you thinking about asking for your chiller??? And does it still work well????

Thanks & Enjoy the hobby

Quote Originally Posted by Amphibious View Post
    I have a 1/4 hp, two years old. What size tank?
    dwref

Blog Entries
    Thanks

No worries

Well it really wasn't a sheet, it was a throw, but all I did was thumb tack it to the ceiling, not even close to the MH!!!!
    But "Thank you " for bring this to my attention!!!
    I plan on using a couple of fans, but not so sure that will be enough, as the tank runs around 80-82 right now!!!

Enjoy the hobby!!!

Quote Originally Posted by poppin_fresh View Post
    Wait a minute, you said you put a sheet up to hold the light in, its not a bed sheet is it? I wouldn't put anything flammable like that near MHs.

I would make sure your hood is well vented with a couple computer fans. You may not need to go the chiller route if you keep the bulbs ventillated. A chiller is a great investment if you have no alternative, but they can be noisy and they are one more thing that uses electricity.
    dwref

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Yes, it works well. However, I have it on my 135 and when I had MHs it ran 24/7 to keep the tank at 80 degrees. Not a good thing. I now have the Solaris LED from PFO and it never runs. The tank maintains between 78 and 80 degrees. So I'm going to recommend that you go to a 1/3 hp minimum. Even though your tank is 10 gallons less, that is a minimal difference. Get a bigger unit. I wouldn't recommend the 1/4hp for anything above a 90 gal.

A cautionary note for all to remember. When a manufacturer or retailer of a chiller says, "20 degree pull down at ambient temperature", or something of that sort, they are not using the word ambient in the right context. Ambient means "surrounding". Therefore, "ambient temperature" would mean the surrounding temp or room temp. However, they are talking about ambient temperatures of the mid 70s. Many of our tanks are in room temps far above that, especially in the summer and especially with MHs. Because the "efficiency" of the chiller depends on the ambient room temperature, the higher the room temp the lower the efficiency of the chiller. In other words, the harder the chiller has to work to bring down the temperature of the tank water. Remember this, unless positioned outside the tank room, the chiller is adding the removed water heat into the room. Consequentially, you will not get the stated temp pull down that the unit is rated at. Lots of things working against you here. Just thought you should know, if you didn't already.

Be careful about trying to save on the purchase price, like I did. The true cost of a chiller is it's operating cost. The difference between a 1/4hp and 1/3 hp is about $60 when you purchase it. If the 1/4hp is under sized it will cost you more to run every month. Keep that in mind.

Also, I'm a TR sponsor, if you have to buy a new chiller, get prices and let me know brand and price with shipping. On an expensive unit like that I can probably save you some money.

Dick
    Amphibious

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Smile Thanks

I agree, I would rather spend a little more & get maybe more than I really need, but it will only run a little, than to get one that is just right & have it run all the time.
    As for the info, yes already had thought about that stuff & I am very lucky to live in a 2 story apt., so the tank is downstairs with 2 inside doors & one outside door, so I really am not that concerned about it making the room hotter, esp., if I get one bigger than needed.

I will do some shopping around & find a brand & a price & send you an E-mail & maybe you can save me a few dollars, which would be great.

Thanks for all the info
    Enjoy the hobby

Quote Originally Posted by Amphibious View Post
    Yes, it works well. However, I have it on my 135 and when I had MHs it ran 24/7 to keep the tank at 80 degrees. Not a good thing. I now have the Solaris LED from PFO and it never runs. The tank maintains between 78 and 80 degrees. So I'm going to recommend that you go to a 1/3 hp minimum. Even though your tank is 10 gallons less, that is a minimal difference. Get a bigger unit. I wouldn't recommend the 1/4hp for anything above a 90 gal.

A cautionary note for all to remember. When a manufacturer or retailer of a chiller says, "20 degree pull down at ambient temperature", or something of that sort, they are not using the word ambient in the right context. Ambient means "surrounding". Therefore, "ambient temperature" would mean the surrounding temp or room temp. However, they are talking about ambient temperatures of the mid 70s. Many of our tanks are in room temps far above that, especially in the summer and especially with MHs. Because the "efficiency" of the chiller depends on the ambient room temperature, the higher the room temp the lower the efficiency of the chiller. In other words, the harder the chiller has to work to bring down the temperature of the tank water. Remember this, unless positioned outside the tank room, the chiller is adding the removed water heat into the room. Consequentially, you will not get the stated temp pull down that the unit is rated at. Lots of things working against you here. Just thought you should know, if you didn't already.

Be careful about trying to save on the purchase price, like I did. The true cost of a chiller is it's operating cost. The difference between a 1/4hp and 1/3 hp is about $60 when you purchase it. If the 1/4hp is under sized it will cost you more to run every month. Keep that in mind.

Also, I'm a TR sponsor, if you have to buy a new chiller, get prices and let me know brand and price with shipping. On an expensive unit like that I can probably save you some money.

Dick
    dwref

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Looking forward to helping you.

Dick
    Amphibious

Thanks
    Rather than making a new thread, I'll add on to this one.

I'm also looking to buy a chiller.

I currently have an 80-Gallon but need the chiller to be adequate for a larger, later upgrade aquarium as well - likely a 150-Gallon.

I'm looking at these, but don't really know which one would be better for me:

1/3 HP Current USA Prime Chiller with Dual Stage Thermostat, $782

1/3 HP Prime Tower Chiller by Current USA, $646

SeaChill TR-20 1/3 HP Aquarium Chiller by TECO
    , $900

I don't really want to spend over $600, but the models that have the optional UV / heater upgrades appeal to me.

I don't know if there are any other better deals or better brands out there, but I want to get my hands on a chiller pretty soon, because it's only March, and I've already come home from work to find my aquarium at 86°F.

I also found this Craigslist Ad for what I think is this chiller for $500, but I don't know if it'll be any good either...
    Last edited by Sheol; 03-27-2008 at 01:15 AM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I think the three you listed are all food and the CraigsList one looks to be a good deal too especially since it should have a controller included.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thread Information