Thread: Black Longnose Tang & Yellow Belly Blue Tang

Thanks

Black Longnose Tang & Yellow Belly Blue Tang

OK so I just came accros a black tang for 210 bucks!!! Anybody who knows about tangs knows that thats a great price. Also came accros a yellow belly for like 70 bucks. Sounds good ugh!!!! Well heres my question, does anybody have experience with "The Petstop"???? Are they a good company????? Should I order these fish????? WHAT TO DO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "Hello my name is Mr. Tang and I'm a Reefoholic!"

120 gallon mixed reef Tank, 90 gallon Frag/grow out tank, and 100 gallon sump &
    The birth of the 150

SPS Reefer / TR Admin lReef lKeeper's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    sorry, but i have never heard of them. i do not like to order online livestock though.
    lReef lKeeper (Bobby) Admin and Reefer

Water ...
    Custom 4x2x1 60 gallon, 40B sump

Equipment ...
    6x54w HO T5 fixture, 300+g rated Frankenskimmer, ATO, 3 Media Reactors (1 p04, 1 N03, 1 Carbon)

www.lmas.org

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    Bobby

You never heard of a Black Tang?? or a yellow belly Tang???
    "Hello my name is Mr. Tang and I'm a Reefoholic!"

120 gallon mixed reef Tank, 90 gallon Frag/grow out tank, and 100 gallon sump &
    The birth of the 150

Thanks
    I would be very hesitant to buy livestock on-line, especially if you don't know them....I think it's always good to be able to see the livestock in the store and to make sure that they're feeding and look healthy....just my 2 cents.
    Christi

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I have never bought from The Pet Stop. Before I would purchase any livestock on-line I would do what you are doing, asking questions here on TR. That shows wisdom. If know one has experience with the store, then it's your call and your call alone.

There's an old saying I heard many years ago about expensive items offered at bargain prices. I've adapted it to fit this scenario - "The thrill of getting a cheap price fades quickly as the realization of the critter's condition and inevitable demise sets in".

You may very well get a choice specimen. Just as likely, you may well be sorry you ever trusted the source. Buying on-line is putting all the trust in someone else's hands. You would be gambling that the person in charge of netting, bagging, pressurizing the bag with pure oxygen, boxing, labeling, getting to FedEx or UPS on time, is a responsible person. Then you have to worry and wonder about the care the shipping company extends to your package. It is a requisite for a driver to be able to read English but, that does not mean they will be able to interpret, "LIVE FISH KEEP WARM" or even care.

Don't get me wrong, over the many years I've been in this business, I've shipped in hundreds of boxes of fish and inverts. Taking a gamble on a source for the first time is very chancy. Even laying ground work over the phone before hand, getting assurance from the shipper that everything was in great health and eating, means nothing in many cases. You wonder why why our critters are so expensive at the LFS? It's because their losses, for whatever reason has to be made up before they can show a profit. If it weren't for making some profit they wouldn't be in business very long.

Bottom line! It's up to you to make the decision. Personally, I would not spend over $300 for two fish from an untested source. I went to their site and found they have a 7 day guarantee on livestock. That's pretty good but, here is how the guarantee reads.

• You must notify us by telephone with 7 days of shipment or e-mail, sales@thepetstop.com subject = DOA
    • We will notify you with Return Instructions by email.
    • We will replace the dead specimen on your next order. Our guarantee applies to the original shipment only and not to DOA replacement items. Our guarantee does not cover the cost of (applicable shipping or box charges.
    The kicker on all on-line guarantees is "We will replace the dead specimen on your next order".

In order to collect you have to give them another chance and more money. That's standard across the board, I'm afraid.

So, what is my advice??? It's BEST buying from your LFS where you can see the specimen, see if it is eating, watch it's behavior. You can get a "feeling" for the fish's general health.

One more thing, I don't know your experience level nor the size of the tank you plan on housing these two Tangs and what other fish you have in there. Tangs are very territorial. You may be shooting yourself in the foot getting two Tangs and expecting peace to prevail. Better think of that, too.

It's a long rant but, I hope it helps you make an informed decision. Let us know your decision and the results, if you go ahead with the purchase. That way we all learn.

Dick
    Amphibious

Good Luck comes to those who research and prepare.

Our Talking Reef Forum The Cultured Reef Forum
    My tank journal Amphibious' 135 mixed reef.
    The Cutured Reef toll free number - 888 745-0449

Amblyeleotris randalli commonly, Randall's Goby.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mike, I have not heard anything one way or the other about them. I have not bought any fish online (although I buy lots of other stuff) because I too like to see what I am getting...
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thread Information