Thread: What The... FLOW!?!?!

Thanks

What The... FLOW!?!?!

Okay folks...

I need your "collective wisdom". I'm participating in a thread on another forum where the topic of water flow for seahorses has come up. I will admit that I'm no expert, but I've been very successful at keeping H. Reidi.

One (now two) of the posting parties have stated, and I quote: "I have to disagree that 'horses require lower flow systems....However, many people seem to think that 5x tank size is appropriate - in my experience, 'horses prefer much higher flow rates, in the 20-30x range."

20-30 !!!??? Did I miss some new scientific breakthrough that I was not aware of? What's worse, is the thread is about keeping Hippocampus zosterae!! They'd become "marine buckshot" in that system....correct? Now, keep in mind that the response above pertained to the poster's Comes or Erectus, I forget, but again, isn't that too much flow for a seahorse system?

I am always the first to admit that I can only keep learning...get better at providing the right environment for my charges...but this seems like potentially harmful misinformation to me. That is something I can't deal with.

Whats your take???

Dave
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. >((((º>

"Fins to the left...Fins to the Right, I'm going home to play with my reef tonight..."

If you're looking for me, and I'm MIA from the board, email me at JustDavidP (at) gmail (dot) com.

Experience in aquaria, 37 years. Experience in marine, 22+ years. Experience in Reef Keeping, 8 years. Always a newbie!

Grand Master Reefer Seahorsedreams's Avatar
    Thanks
    *cough* Don't make me repeat myself *cough*

I use 10 - 15 for my seahorse tanks with calm areas and turbulent areas.

I try to avoid an over all low flow tank for I believe it encourages hair algae and gas exchange issues (like GBD in horses).

I know nothing of dwarfs.
    Renee

Thanks
    Oh repeat yourself daaahling... repeat

Y'know... I've been having horrible HA problems... seems to love the return nozzles, the areas where the nozzles flow to, the power head... crazy stuff!

Dave

"Fins to the left...Fins to the Right, I'm going home to play with my reef tonight..."

If you're looking for me, and I'm MIA from the board, email me at JustDavidP (at) gmail (dot) com.

Experience in aquaria, 37 years. Experience in marine, 22+ years. Experience in Reef Keeping, 8 years. Always a newbie!

Thanks
    You know, when I say flow I should also be saying increased water surface agitation.... which generally comes with increased flow but it isn't a given.

Hair algaes love outflows/returns. I meant more along the lines of the lower flow tanks having increased CO2 retention.... a fuel for hair algae.
    Renee

Thanks
    especially in taller tanks...right? I've heard this.

Thanks
    Definately occurs more frequently in taller tanks... perfect environment for such retention issues.

GBD is so common in seahorses..... I'm sure it has somethign to do with our deep tank, low flow recommendations... that coupled with the old school "no air stones and no skimmers" ideals.
    Renee

Thread Information