Thread: Upgrading to DSB-how to do it?

Curious Reefer
    Thanks

Upgrading to DSB-how to do it?

I started in the hobby not truely knowing the benefits of a DSB as to the overall health and filtration of the system. When i set up me tank, I followed the x amount of pounds per gallon rule and ended up with a sandbed of about 2-2.5 inches. I would like to convert to a DSB, but I'm concerned about possible problems with just adding more sand.. Sure, some of my base rock will become covered by about 2 inches.. I don't think that will be a concern, but I am concerned about disrupting my current sandbed by covering it with more sand. Any tips or other concerns I should worry about? I suppose the best thing to do would be to gently stir the sand a few times before adding the new sand, then add the new sand. Then i would gently stir it a few more times afterwards. That way that bacteria and microorganisms won't get trapped too deeply under the new sand? Is this a sound approach? What could go wrong? So I just add new sand in small amounts, a little at a time over a long period- or is it safe to add it as described above?

THANKS!!!

Thanks
    The only problem I see with stirring up everything in the tank is all the little nasties in your sand now will become part of the water column possibly throwing your water out of wack. In my opinion I would think you would want to put the new sand on top of the old disturbing the old sand as little as possible, there will prolly be a little die off but I wouldn't think this would cause as many problems as stirring the old stand. This is all just my opinion and I would wait for verification from some of the other board members before I went ahead with anything.
    "Noone cares how much you know, untill they know how much you care."
    "Fear Leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering"

Crispy Reef Monkey **MOD** Phurst's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I agree that not disturbing your current sandbed is a good idea. I have heard it recommended on WWM to add no more than 1/2" a week until the desired depth is reached. Also, you'll want to bury as little detritus /algae/cyano/organic material as possible, as they can turn into pockets of sulfur dioxide.
    **KEEP ME AWAY FROM SUPER GLUE ... i tend to glue my lips shut !!**

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I agree to add the sand slowly until you reach the 4-5" mark. I try to disturb a small portion of my sandbed (<10&#37 every time I do a water change. I believe that this keeps a DSB healthy. I think that you could get a piece of 1/2" rigid tubing and after adding a layer of new sand put your thumb over the top of the tube, push it down into the sandbed and release your thumb to suck the sand up in the tube. If you did this in a few places it would help bring bacteria into the new sand but not cause enough disruption to create any problems.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

SPS Reefer / TR Admin lReef lKeeper's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    do you have a sump that is large enough to fit a five gallon bucket into ?? if so i would recommend a remote DSB. see pages 2 and 3 of my build thread ...

http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/me...html#post68187

and here is a link to Anthony Calfo's thread on them on MD ...

remote dsb
    lReef lKeeper (Bobby) Admin and Reefer

Water ...
    Custom 4x2x1 60 gallon, 40B sump

Equipment ...
    6x54w HO T5 fixture, 300+g rated Frankenskimmer, ATO, 3 Media Reactors (1 p04, 1 N03, 1 Carbon)

www.lmas.org

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Thread Information