Thread: Feeding Yellow Tang

Thanks

Feeding Yellow Tang

I got a Yellow Tang last night. This evening I put some nori in a spot where he has been swimming alot and he hasnt touched it. It is wrapped around a piece of plastic hanger stuck in a corner he has been going up and down in alot. (I think there is some algae on the silicone where it doesn't get scraped.) I have seen him also nibbling at some of the fresh algae growing in the tank so I'm sure he prefers that anyway because he passes right over the nori. I'm going to have to take it out soon so it doesn't end up breaking up and making more of a mess of the tank. Tomorrow I will try a garlic guard soak first. I'm sure he is still getting used to the tank also. He appears fairly comfortable but mostly stays in the back. I did notice that the mandarin seemed to come much farther out of the rocks now that there is another fish. Maybe he feels safer or maybe just trying to stay out of the way.

Grand Master Reefer Seahorsedreams's Avatar
    Thanks
    He sounds stressed.... the going up and down motion. It''s perfectly normal for him to be stressed for a few days and might take a bit of time to want to take food.
    Renee

Thanks
    the fact that hes picking means he is displaying normal behavior...a good sign. I have had luck placing a piece of algae under the corner of my mag float allowing it to wave in the current. It still took a couple times of doing this before my fish got used to being fed this way.

Crispy Reef Monkey **MOD** Phurst's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    It was several days before mine would eat nori as well, but now, it's like tang crack. He just goes nuts for the stuff....
    **KEEP ME AWAY FROM SUPER GLUE ... i tend to glue my lips shut !!**

Thanks
    My yellow tang loves mysis_pe, soaked in garlic, or otherwise, she goes crazy for it ! ironically, though I put veggie clips in with a variety of Sprungs Seaweeds, she just avoids them - perhaps just just not a vegetarian and has gone all carnivore on me! She's 4 years old now and her tastes just don't seem to change! Crazy fish! She also eats arctipods, formulate 2 pellets and flake when she just has to have a change.

Warm Regards,
    John
    Member of The Southern Colorado Marine Aquarist Society

180 mixed reef, 75g sump/fuge, ev180 skimmer, CLM with Sequence Flo Dart. 1134w Odyessea HQI/PC fixture. 2 x Phosban 150 reactors, 2 x 40g frag tanks hooked to main system with 600w P/C lighting

Thanks
    That is crazy only eating mysis. Is there any algae in your tank? Maybe she gets enough of it from whats around.

I left the nori in overnight and was mostly gone this mornging and all gone tonight. So I put another piece in and after a couple passes he is eating away. I just have a bit wrapped on part of a plastic hanger and a rubber band aroudn it. The other end has a nice hook on it to hang over the tank edge and closing the hood holds it in place.

Thanks
    NaClFinatic, aye, there used to be a healthy population of various algae's growing across the back panel of the tnak. She does constantly forage during the day - perhaps she has had her fill of algae during the day. I have recently acquired another type of seaweed (I need to go check the packet, comes in 3ft long strips). I'll stick that in there with a clip and see if that encourages her to eat the same as other tangs! She's healthy, she looks good, her color is good, her eyes are clear, but she's a tang, she's yellow, she's crazy!
    John
    Member of The Southern Colorado Marine Aquarist Society

180 mixed reef, 75g sump/fuge, ev180 skimmer, CLM with Sequence Flo Dart. 1134w Odyessea HQI/PC fixture. 2 x Phosban 150 reactors, 2 x 40g frag tanks hooked to main system with 600w P/C lighting

Thanks
    The tang has been eating good. By friday the last piece was gone, I didn't put any in saturday and today (Sunday) he was all over it once I put it in. He is eating for maybe 10 seconds then swims awya awhile but is back in les sthan a minute for more.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    That is good news! It sounds like she is settled in quite well.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thread Information