Thread: Lets Talk Clams

Thanks

Lets Talk Clams

Just thought I would share some info on these babies that I have picked up along the way.

I have had a lot of people ask me lately about clams. So I decided why not post a thread on some general information on these critters. I think a clam is a beautifull show piece for your tank! That is what I get most of the ooohhs and aaaaahhs about when people see my tanks.

Before I bought my first clam I did ALOT of research on them.

I will cover what to look for when buying a clam which types of clams there are and the difficulty in keeping them. Lighting and food for your clam and a few other topics.

First off when selecting a clam there are a few things you want to make sure and look for one that is alert and responsive. the best way to do this is to put something between the light and the tank and when it gets dark the clam should close quickly. You do not want one that reacts slow or is sluggish. Also when inspecting your clam make sure it has a clean bassal (this is the muscle or tendon that attaches the clam to the rock or sand) turn him over and make sure that it is not torn or ripped. It should look clean and white and smooth.

While inspecting the bassal make sure there are no snails attached to the bassal. these snails are about the size of a grain of rice you want to make sure your clam is free of these they will literally eat your clam from the bottom up.

You want the mantle to extend past the shell and be full of color. You do not want one that has any clear spots or a washed look to them. and the mantle should be full and no tears or rips should be present.

Now when you get your clam picked out and get him home you want to make sure and acclimate your clam nice and slow. I do a drip with my clams for about an hour. Clams are very sensetive to swings in the water conditions. so a slow introduction will ensure a safe transfer. they are also very sensetive to lighting changes as well for example if you buy a clam that has been kept under PC lighting and put it in your tank with 250 W of metal halide lighting you are going to burn that clam. You should use the screen method and slowly acclimate him to the lighting.

Lighting is one of the most important things for keeping a happy clam. Alot of people think you cannot keep a clam under PC lighting. This is not true, I have friends that have derasa clams with PC lighting. This is a good rule of thumb to follow. the brighter the color the clam the more lighting it needs. Like a derasa clam, they are brown in color and can be kept in PC lighting. I would not recommend this with a crocea or maxima these clams do need intense lighting.

Now picking a good spot for your clam is a very important part. Some clams prefer rock work while others prefer sand. Derasa,Gigas prefer a sandy bottom to rest on while Crocea and Maxima prefer a rocky place to attach.You want to make sure that your clam is place facing up. If you do place your clam at an angle make sure thatthe inhalant siphon is on the lowest portion of the slope. The reason for htis is that is the side that the bassal is on and as the clam grows you will not run the risk of the bassal tearing because of the weight of the clam.

You do not want to put your clam in a direct current your clam is able to pull the water in itself without current.

Now that your clam is in his spot and is happy you want to make sure he stays that way. A clam does not need to be directly fed. He will pull all he needs out of the columm himself. The #1 building block for a clam is calcium you want to make sure your right at 420. Strontium is also incorporated in the shell of clams as well. And dosing iodine will greatly enhance the color of the mantle of your clam.

Those are the basics to a healthy happy clam. If I left something out I apologize. If you have any questions please let me know by this thread or drop me a PM.

I think Clams are one of the most beautifull things you can put in your tank. And with good water and lighting they will live for a very very long time and can grow quite quick and quite large. Gigas clams have been know to get 54" across and weigh 400 lbs!!! where as a crocea will grow to about 7" across.

I hope I did not bore you all with such a long post

Greg

Crispy Reef Monkey **MOD** Phurst's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks for the overview. I just got my first maxima a month ago, and will be looking for a crocea for my nano in the not too distant future.
    **KEEP ME AWAY FROM SUPER GLUE ... i tend to glue my lips shut !!**

Thanks
    right on that is cool. they are such and eye catching piece. I have a deresa that is 8" across that is my pride and joy and then a couple of ultra croceas. but I love my deresa

SPS Reefer / TR Admin lReef lKeeper's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Greg, got a pic of youe Derasa ?? here are my Derasa and Squamosa ...

not as BIG as yours, but coming along nicely.
    lReef lKeeper (Bobby) Admin and Reefer

Water ...
    Custom 4x2x1 60 gallon, 40B sump

Equipment ...
    6x54w HO T5 fixture, 300+g rated Frankenskimmer, ATO, 3 Media Reactors (1 p04, 1 N03, 1 Carbon)

www.lmas.org

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    yeah i will try and get a pic of him on tonight. I need to get some updated pics of my tank anyways I guess that means I am gonna have to clean the glass UURRFFF

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    ha ha ... and that is one TALL tank !!

Water ...

Equipment ...
    6x54w HO T5 fixture, 300+g rated Frankenskimmer, ATO, 3 Media Reactors (1 p04, 1 N03, 1 Carbon)

www.lmas.org

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Crispy Reef Monkey **MOD** Phurst's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Bobby, still loving that zebra. You need to send me a frag
    **KEEP ME AWAY FROM SUPER GLUE ... i tend to glue my lips shut !!**

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    when you figure out how to frag them ... let me know !! LMAO

Water ...

Equipment ...

www.lmas.org

Thanks
    Nice post graphixx.. very informative. I don't currently have any clams, (not a wise choice for my BioCube 14!) but I enjoy reading and learning more about them.

Two questions....

Do clams decrease nitrates?

Are there any fish to avoid with clams in the tank? will any reef safe fish be alright?

"Human subtelty will never devise an invention more beautiful,
    more simple or more direct than does nature"

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Blog: Psychojam's Reef

14 Gallon Biocube

Thanks
    some fish have been known to nip at clams, some of the larger angels will nip at the mantles. and think of a clam as natures protein skimmer!!!! but yes if the fish is reef safe then your pretty safe to say its clam safe.

Thanks
    thanks for all the info. clams are very high on my list of future purchases.
    Matt

150 gallon mixed reef
    55 gallon refugium
    100 gallon sump

Thanks
    my pleasure guys. clams are one of my fav critters to have in the tanks.

Thread Information