Thread: Post Weather Disaster Recovery - Open To Feedback

Curious Reefer
    Thanks

Post Weather Disaster Recovery - Open To Feedback

Hello all-

My boyfriend and I were into the salt hobby only 8 months when a disastrous ice storm struck the area and left us without power for almost a full week. Four days into the power loss, our power generator couldn't even heat our house enough to keep us warm, let alone allow us to keep aeration and heat in the tank adequate for keeping our stock healthy. At this point, we had to abandon ship and move the fish. Luckily, I work at the local fish store and there was room for our livestock. They've been there about a month now.

When we finally got power back, we added more live sand (I had wanted a deeper sand bed anyway) and refilled the tank so that we could restart right away. So far things have been going well with our restart. After a couple of weeks, we brought home our yellow tang and two purple firefish. I've got a green spot mandarinfish, chalk basslet, flame angel, cleaner and peppermint shrimps, sand sifting star, a turbo snail, christmas tree rock, galaxea coral, various zoos and feather duster worms that are still waiting to come home.

The thing that really concerns me at this point is how I can boost the copepod population for my green spot mandarin. She'll occasionally eat small bits of frozen mysid shrimp, but has certainly preferred the copepods that have hitched in on my live rock. I can introduce copepods from our refugium at the store, but I don't want to wipe out the population for the tanks that are plumbed into it and rely on those food sources as well.

I'm also concerned about my pink finger leather. It went pretty limp at the store and has somewhat perked up since I brought it back a couple of hours ago. What can I do to help it along?

I'm on a bit of a short time frame. My boss @ the fish store will soon need the tank space back for stock he can sell. Does anyone have additional suggestions or feedback?

Thanks!

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    Is there a local reef club in your area? If there is, try asking if someone cultures pods. Ask them for a starter culture and culture some for yourself.
    Otherwise, try Reed Mariculture or Oceanpods. They sell Tiggerpods that you can put in your tank or refugium to try and repopulate.
    If it were me, I'd get a few bottles because the Mandarin could be a little piggie hehe.

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    There is no local reef club that I'm aware of and my culture source moved out of state just after the storm. The outage was pretty widespread and I'm probably among a lucky few who didn't lose their tank, so finding another source will be a bit of a challenge. I'll give the 'pod products a shot and hope for good results!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hi SpazNPedro and to TR.

Ocean Pods and AlgaGen are TR sponsors and both have copepods.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

SPS Reefer / TR Admin lReef lKeeper's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    there are a few clubs up there ...

reef clubs in kansas-General Reef Topics-3reef Forums

Welcome to the WRC • Group Control Panel [ Guest ]

those are just from a quick google search. there are a lot more of us reefers than you might think !! lol
    lReef lKeeper (Bobby) Admin and Reefer

Water ...
    Custom 4x2x1 60 gallon, 40B sump

Equipment ...
    6x54w HO T5 fixture, 300+g rated Frankenskimmer, ATO, 3 Media Reactors (1 p04, 1 N03, 1 Carbon)

www.lmas.org

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    I found someone with a refugium, teeming (sp?) with 'pod "ravages" chaetomorpha. My little mandarin loves the pods, and my yellow tang is digging the chaetomorpha. Everyone wins!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Sounds like everybody wins.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thread Information