Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Skurvey Dog's 90G Reef Project

Assistant Moderator Skurvey Dog's Avatar
    Thanks
    The reef tank has just completed it's first initial cycle. When this photo was taken, the tank held 125 lbs of live rock and base rock. Large coral skeletons also used in the aquascaping to add more textures and interesting structure landmarks. Another 45 lbs of live rock has been added as well as 25 lbs more of aragonite sand since this photo.

Below is one or two random pop off shots I took to remind me of the beginning of this adventure. I've always believed that one must always remember where they have been so they will know where they are going.

Last edited by Skurvey Dog; 09-24-2008 at 08:00 PM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by veriann View Post
    sweet effort, high-coo all round!

Did i see the word vodka on a reef related article. oh boy, i had a mixed debate with the english folks over at another site on this subject whilst TR was being renivated. Im assuming if refering to vodka dosing yeah?
    Yes, that's it.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Skurvey Dog View Post
    Hey V, you have YIM? Would be interesting to have verbal combat w/ you.
    lol, be careful what you wish for, i dont roll with the punches, i am the punches

Vquilibrium Productions

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CarmieJo View Post
    I use GarlicGuard and - = Welcome to Kent Marine » Zoe Marine = -. All of my food gets soaked in both. I'd soak the krill in garlic.
    It would smell like Italian pizzeria at your house carmie. bet you have the althiest fish on the block

Vquilibrium Productions

Thanks
    That's why I like posting... gives me a while to come up with a come back .

Yes, the vodka thread was about the contraversial topic of dosing with vodka. Totally unreliable as "Uncle Fester did it in his basement."

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    its not for me, many say sound in principle because "look at my results", meaning my tank looks colourful & hasn't crashed yet..lol

start up a thread & lets throw some effort into it

Vquilibrium Productions

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    It would smell like Italian pizzeria at your house carmie. bet you have the althiest fish on the block
    My husband IS Italian and he gets the biggest kick out of the fact that I feed the fish garlic! In his opinion we have Italian fish!

Years ago when our son was a pre-schooler I took him and a friend to the park for a couple of hours. It was summer time so the van got hot while they were playing. When it was time to go I opened the doors to the van and to odor of garlic wafted out. I had been to Sam's Club (a warehouse shopping place) the day before and bought a 3# bag of garlic and it got left behind when we unloaded. Simultaneously Dominic, our son and Logan, his friend said "What smells so good?" and "Phew, it stinks!" I'll let you guess which boy said what!
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    Yes, and none of the clinical trials were done in a contained invironment, nor did they have enough input/participants, or data based on a long study or research. It was sort of like me going off on my own and experimenting and because I got positive results, I am now claiming that whatever I did to my tank is good and should set the standard for future reefers. I think perhaps, the party/parties who did this, were imbibing a 75/25% ratio with their tanks. I spoke with Vandamere and he said that he was not partial in participating in said studies.

Thanks
    Sorry CJo that I was slow in responding. And NO I have not been conducting vodka research on my own. I have been very sick for the past few days. I love that story. He's a boy after my own heart! I adore garlic and I'm at an age I don't give a blink if the smell offends other parties. The garlic is very good for you and it also keeps the vampires away! Forgive me if I'm having a mental lapse due to the fever I've been having, but... I can't remember about where to purchase the vitamins and garlic to add to my fishes diet. Vandamere is still persistant as ever and flat out refuses to cooperate with me. He's a typical male. That's ok cause I adore him and he is getting so beautiful and is growing rapidly. I'm in love! He is very docile (And I do realize that may change with his maturity) he shies away where I work inside of my tank and only gains interest when I make water movement on the water's surface (sort of like a dinner call) to let him know it's nummy time!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hi Lori,
    Sorry to hear that you have been under the weather. I hope you are feeling better.

I just buy the garlic and vitamins at the LFS. You could probably save a few $ by buying them on line but they last a long time so the cost per month is minimal. Plus, I have a thing about supporting my LFS.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Thanks
    That's the story V.... always a day late and a buck short. I did tremendously enjoy the live TR last weekend, but I felt like I didn't get any 'NEW" info in regards to the info I already have aquired. Perhaps it's just a matter of knowing what to do with that information.
    Last edited by Skurvey Dog; 01-12-2008 at 11:50 PM.

SPS Reefer / TR Admin lReef lKeeper's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    for a 90 gallon tank if you want to go with metal halides ... 2x250w 10000k coralvue reeflux bulbs with coralvue of icecap electronic ballasts. how's that ??

BTW ... i would personally supplement with 4x110w VHO 460nm actinics.
    lReef lKeeper (Bobby) Admin and Reefer

Water ...
    Custom 4x2x1 60 gallon, 40B sump

Equipment ...
    6x54w HO T5 fixture, 300+g rated Frankenskimmer, ATO, 3 Media Reactors (1 p04, 1 N03, 1 Carbon)

www.lmas.org

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    Bobby,

Thank you. The LFS is trying to sell me on 2 Hamilton MH pendants 175 watts each as I said I did not want to heat up my water and take a chance on needing a chiller. They were going to upgrade the bulbs to 14K. I do not have a hood on my tank. I can not do a retro fit as I have no electrician experience. What name brand are you partial to, and etc. Lets just figuratively speaking you walked into your favorite aquarium store and purchased your lighting system there for a newly set up 90G tank............................
    Last edited by Skurvey Dog; 01-12-2008 at 11:54 PM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    i would go with something like this ...

48" Aqualight Pro, 2x 250W HQI + 2x 96W Actinic + 3 Blue Moonlight LEDs - 53526

and i would ditch those bulbs (but keep them for backup bulbs) and go with 2x250w 10,000K Coralvue Reeflux bulbs.

BUT the Hamilton pendants would probably also be a great choice, but i would go with 250w. a 90g is a fairly deep tank is the reason why, and i do not think that 175w would penetrate deep enough into the water. in either case ... i would ditch the bulbs (if they even come with any) and replace them with Coralvue Reeflux bulbs. the pendants might even be a little cheaper on the wallet. if you do not mind hanging the pendants ... they would work well (in 250w). i have to go to work, but will check back when i get home.

Water ...

Equipment ...
    6x54w HO T5 fixture, 300+g rated Frankenskimmer, ATO, 3 Media Reactors (1 p04, 1 N03, 1 Carbon)

www.lmas.org

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    Thanks a million!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I did like the look of the MH pendants, but they wouldn't be enough different spectrums for what I needed and then there was trying to figure out what else to get to enhance them. I had decided that if I got them, I would have run them through the ceiling and stored the ballasts in the attic as it is well ventilated. (Or at least that's what my thoughts were.) I really do like the set up you showed me and it is a little more, but it is much simpler for me that way as I have really been stressed out entirely too much lately. I'm going to try to get your suggestion next week when I get paid, unless I get impatient and put it on a card. Can't squeeze it in now as I just had to pay for another semester of school for my daughter. If she'll just decide what she wants to be when she grows up and not change her mind any more!

Thanks for hanging with my psycho, fruitcake self. I think my patients are rubbing off on me sometimes. If you ever cruise my store and want to place an order, just remind me who you are in the comments field and I'll issue you a $10 credit for all your help. Thanks again.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    no need for the credit, but thanks. that is why we are all here ... to help each other out when we need it. you never know, one day you could be the one giving me advice on something that you know more about than i do. it is a win win situation for me.

Water ...

Equipment ...

www.lmas.org

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    lol, skurvey......your a genuine wacko my girl.........welcome to the club

Vquilibrium Productions

Thanks
    lol, skurvey......your a genuine wacko my girl.........welcome to the club
    Aren't we all when it gets right down to it? Some just shine at the surface more than others. Some shine the brightest when their stress level is at it's most climatic zenith.

Oh, and I'm feeling much better now.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lReef lKeeper View Post
    no need for the credit, but thanks. that is why we are all here ... to help each other out when we need it. you never know, one day you could be the one giving me advice on something that you know more about than i do. it is a win win situation for me.
    Hope you took no offense, it's just that you aren't here. I'm a true Southerner and we thank people with cards, small gifts, or food..... cookies, cakes, brownies........... Just as a way of saying

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I'll have a gater hat, gater belt & that tasty looken gater sandwich please.

Vquilibrium Productions

Thanks
    Would that be a wally or croc? I saw a wally a couple of months back at the dock, a notice about a dog or two missing and then a new sign posted. Must be for all these northern transplants who aren't used to being stalked at the water's edge. fresh water, salt water, makes no difference to them. Nothing calls a gator faster than a wet dog. Next time I see him, I'll ask him if he thinks he'd look good in designer acessories.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Skurvey Dog View Post
    Hope you took no offense, it's just that you aren't here. I'm a true Southerner and we thank people with cards, small gifts, or food..... cookies, cakes, brownies........... Just as a way of saying

NOPE, no offense taken at all, i will take some cookies, cake, and brownies though !! lmao

Water ...

Equipment ...

www.lmas.org

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hey Lori, Bobby is the MH guy and, you know me, I am an LED gal. I'm glad he was able to give you a concrete suggestion. When I first got back into the hobby I really struggled with decisions like that because the choices were so overwhelming. And I bought my tank used with a lot of equipment so a lot of the choices were taken out of my hands.

I am glad to hear you are feeling better. But, I wish you would have sent what you had to V. Now I have strep throat and laryngitis so bad I can only whisper. So if it got to him upside down he would have athletes foot and be yelling at the wife and children!
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    is that spit i feel? lol

Vquilibrium Productions

Thanks
    Thanks guys! It has been overwhelming sometimes, a little frustrating, but very rewarding to see it finally start to come along more and more. Two days ago, I ordered one of those maximus II RO/DI set ups with a tank. From what I read, it didn't appear to be too techie to hook up and use. I guess I'll find out soon enough huh? I am still wanting to do some reading up on this "cryptic" fuge I have. I've found all sort of things on builds, but really no in depth info on contents; substrates, etc. I'm sure it's out there and I probably just haven't found it. I'm concerned whether the crushed coral used in there will have all the nitrates burned up in there or will it be pumping it back into my system. If this needs to be changed, I'd rather do it now than later. I want to try to prevent possible problems before they make their presence prominently known. Well, gotta jump into some clothes and get to work! Gotta have that job if I want to get those lights!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information