Thread: Identification help (some kind of anenome?)

Thanks

Identification help (some kind of anenome?)

The first thing is something I found in my QT tank. I noticed the "thing" a few weeks ago but have had great difficulty getting a decent photo. It is on the underside of the LR, out of direct light. It shrivels up when direct light is placed upon it. It usually reappears several days later. The "thing" has short tentacles that do not move around much, plus the direct line across its center leads me to believe it is a type of anemone. The LR is from my LFS and is definitely a hitchhiker.

The second thing is something I just found tonight in my main tank. It, too, is under some LR out of direct light. It also shrivels up with direct light upon it, but reappears 30 seconds later. It is light green in color and seems to like the water flow that passes by.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CarmieJo; 12-17-2007 at 01:51 AM.

Crispy Reef Monkey **MOD** Phurst's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    The first pic, I'm pretty sure is aptasia. It's hard to see, but that's what it looks like. The second, I'm not too sure on. Could be a majano, but I couldn't swear to it. They definitely appear to be anemones of some sort, and probably not the good kind.
    **KEEP ME AWAY FROM SUPER GLUE ... i tend to glue my lips shut !!**

Thanks
    I initially thought it might be aiptasia, too, and since I have been trying to identify it for several weeks, I was definitely researching aiptasia. But from what I have read, aiptasia multiplies very quickly, and this thing hasn't multiplied at all. It has grown in size, but no multiplication. Plus, it is not as thin as the aiptasia in this picture: http://members.aol.com/cotton62799/what.jpg Also, for this pic, it only resembles the shape, what appears to be a mouth structure doesn't look similar at all: Piotr Rotkiewicz's Photo Gallery :: Cnidarians (Parzydełkowce) :: aip

As for the second, could it maybe be some kind of green polyp? This yellow polyp looks pretty close, only different in color: Piotr Rotkiewicz's Photo Gallery :: Cnidarians (Parzydełkowce) :: ypolyp01 It doesn't look like this Majano anemone: Piotr Rotkiewicz's Photo Gallery :: Cnidarians (Parzydełkowce) :: majano

SPS Reefer / TR Admin lReef lKeeper's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    yeah, the first is an Aipasia, and the second looks kind of like a small feather duster, or like PHurst said ... majano. i would get rid of them both just to be safe.

to see if the second is a feather dusted ... put your hand in the tank close to it and see if it disappears pretty fast. you might want to have someone watch it while you stick your hand or some tongs into the tank with a light on it.
    lReef lKeeper (Bobby) Admin and Reefer

Water ...
    Custom 4x2x1 60 gallon, 40B sump

Equipment ...
    6x54w HO T5 fixture, 300+g rated Frankenskimmer, ATO, 3 Media Reactors (1 p04, 1 N03, 1 Carbon)

www.lmas.org

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lReef lKeeper View Post
    to see if the second is a feather dusted ... put your hand in the tank close to it and see if it disappears pretty fast. you might want to have someone watch it while you stick your hand or some tongs into the tank with a light on it.
    Ok, thanks! If it disappears quickly, what does that indicate? That it is a feather duster worm?

Thanks
    Whatever it is in the second pic, whether feather duster or polyp, looks harmless. Leave it be. It is NOT mojano. Nor is it standard aptasia.

in the first pic, the critter seems to have an oral disk of sorts. But I can't see it clearly. It could also be a harmless coralimorph.

Dave
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. >((((º>

"Fins to the left...Fins to the Right, I'm going home to play with my reef tonight..."

If you're looking for me, and I'm MIA from the board, email me at JustDavidP (at) gmail (dot) com.

Experience in aquaria, 37 years. Experience in marine, 22+ years. Experience in Reef Keeping, 8 years. Always a newbie!

Thanks
    I agree, Dave, the critter in the first picture does appear to have an oral disk. I will try to get some better pictures tonight; I realize the initial picture is difficult to distinguish. Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drimo View Post
    Ok, thanks! If it disappears quickly, what does that indicate? That it is a feather duster worm?
    yes, if it disappears quickly then it is probably just a feather duster worm.

looking closer at the first pic, it does kind of look like it could be a palythoa of some sort.

Water ...

Equipment ...
    6x54w HO T5 fixture, 300+g rated Frankenskimmer, ATO, 3 Media Reactors (1 p04, 1 N03, 1 Carbon)

www.lmas.org

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I don't know how anyone can make out what is in picture number one. It is impossible for these old eyes to discern anything. However, the second picture clearly depicts a tiny featherduster commonly found in reef aquariums. Leave it alone, it's a good thing.
    Amphibious

Good Luck comes to those who research and prepare.

Our Talking Reef Forum The Cultured Reef Forum
    My tank journal Amphibious' 135 mixed reef.
    The Cutured Reef toll free number - 888 745-0449

Amblyeleotris randalli commonly, Randall's Goby.

Thanks
    I know the first picture was a bad photo, so I snapped a lot more tonight and came out with two excellent shots. (My wife has given me a Nikon D40x as an early Christmas present!) The first picture is of the "thing" in its closed position. It closed up after I repositioned the live rock fr a better photograph. The second picture is several hours later and it is fully extended. It's pretty clear and a good, detailed shot!

Roger that on the feather duster worm in my main tank, that is what I was hoping for. I will let it live peacefully!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Congrats on the Nikon. I LOVE my D50! For the money I don't think you can go wrong with that D40x!
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    Absolutely, Carmie! It is a great camera and it came with two lenses (18-55 and 55-200 VR). I am only just beginning to grasp its full capability!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Bless your wife!!! I'm now thinking Aptasia.
    Amphibious

Good Luck comes to those who research and prepare.

Our Talking Reef Forum The Cultured Reef Forum
    My tank journal Amphibious' 135 mixed reef.
    The Cutured Reef toll free number - 888 745-0449

Amblyeleotris randalli commonly, Randall's Goby.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    yeah, not enough of a skirt to be a playthoa, so i am also saying aptasia. shoot it with some Joes Juice of liquid calcium.

Water ...

Equipment ...

www.lmas.org

Thread Information