Thread: Enough room for 2?

Curious Reefer
    Thanks

Enough room for 2?

I have a 92 corner. I currently have a tiny blue hippo tang. He's about 2.5-3 inches long. I know the blue hippo can get rather large and after listening to the talking reef live episode where tangs were the kick off topic, i realize how much room they need to swim. Currently, I feel as though the 92 corner is a nice size tank for the blue hippo as he swims to and fro happily about the entire tank.. My question is this: is it too much to get a small yellow tang for this tank as well? The dimensions of the 92 corner are about 3 feet on each side of the 90 degree angle, then 4 and 1/2 feet bow in the front (and just under 2 feet tall). Other fish I am currently keeping are 2 medium damsels, 1 medium pj cardinal, a small tomato clown, a medium lawnmower blenny. I don't want any of my fish feeling cramped or stressed for any reason, but I love tangs.
    The only other fish i might consider getting in addition is a mandarin dragonet (I just set up a 20 gallon fuge with chaeto and red glacinia and had a copepod bloom - but i'm waiting to see if i can successfully keep a large population of pods before getting the mandarin fish). Sorry for the long post, but I'd rather get sound advice based on some good facts rather than not.

Thanks guys,

BTW.. I'm a long time forum lurker and podcast listener.. but a new participant.
    Thanks for everything!

SPS Reefer / TR Admin lReef lKeeper's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    IMHO, i dont think that you have room for the one that you already have, much less another one. sorry, but also IMHO, tangs need at least a 6' tank except for the few and far between smaller species that can be kept in a 4' tank. these species are,but not limited to Kole (yellow eyed), powder brown, and gold rimmed tangs.

welcome to the posting side of the website !!

BTW ... hippo tangs are some of the larger tangs available to us.
    lReef lKeeper (Bobby) Admin and Reefer

Water ...
    Custom 4x2x1 60 gallon, 40B sump

Equipment ...
    6x54w HO T5 fixture, 300+g rated Frankenskimmer, ATO, 3 Media Reactors (1 p04, 1 N03, 1 Carbon)

www.lmas.org

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    I was afraid of that.. The last thing i want to do is stress an animal. I feel terrible now as I did alot of research and thought I had enough information to make an informed decision in buying the hippo. How big would you say the tang should get before I try to get him to a more appropriate sized tank? I doubt my LFG would take him back, but maybe they would give me a break on some other item. For now, the hippo seems happy especially swimming along the diagonal of the tank (about 5 feet distance) and against streams of my two hydor kaloria 4's. What would anyone suggest in my situation. Obviously I won't be getting another tang, but what about the hippo I have now? Do i keep him until he gets larger, then try to figure out what to do with him? Or do I try to get my LFS to take him for swap or trade? My LFS is kinda weird and they seem to give bad advise and only want to make money.. so I cannot fully think they would be sympathetic of the fish. Any advise in this situation is much appreciated! Please feel free to flame me for buying the fish in the first place =(

Thanks
    Yeah I believe you guys were talking about tangs limitations in the latest TR Live episode 7 (or maybe it was 6).

Anyway I think the main issue is with the tang in that size tank. The rest of your fish may not be much of an issue as long as you have adequate filtration through LR, skimmer, water changes, etc. I dont know anything about cardinals but damsels and even tomato clowns can sometimes be agressive. Maybe someone else can speak up if they could be a threat to a mellow mandrin. I just got a mandrin myself. (It is the latest post in my tank thread.)

Where in PA are you? I live in York County.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    i think he will probably be OK until about 5" in your tank, then you could always send him to me !! lol

seriously though, most LFS's will take fish in for store credit. granted it wont be a whole lot of money, but something is better than nothing. i would max his size in your tank to 5" maybe 4 1/2".

a mandarin shoul dbe fine with the fish that you have. just dont add them to an agressive tank or a tank that has a food competitor in it, like a six line wrasse. be SURE that you have the pod population to support the mandarin also. they are voratious pod eaters, and will starve to death without them. build some LR rubble piles behind your rocks so the pods have a safe place in the tank to reproduce.

Water ...

Equipment ...
    6x54w HO T5 fixture, 300+g rated Frankenskimmer, ATO, 3 Media Reactors (1 p04, 1 N03, 1 Carbon)

www.lmas.org

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    What I have a hard time wrapping my head around, is does a tang cover a lot of area in the ocean because it wants to...or does it have to? If its dietary needs are met, does it need such a vast area?

The other thing I wonder... does two feet make it better? A tang in a four foot tank vs. one in a six foot, does it really make a difference? Its still not what evolution and nature provided for it. I wish I had the answers to these q's.

Thanks
    Pop, I agree on the tank size... I've always doubted that any Tang can be comfortable in a little home aquarium.

That being said, I still plan to eventually try a yellow tang in my 4' 90gallon.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    i wish ANYONE had the answers to those questions !! lol

my opinion on tank size is from my experience with them in both 4' and 6' tanks. the tangs in the smaller tanks did not do as well as the ones in the bigger tanks. the ones in the smaller tanks always acted stressed, but in the bigger tank ... the the opposite result occured. sorry i can not be more specific about it, but if you find anything that has the answer to those questions ... SEND IT TO ME !!

Water ...

Equipment ...

www.lmas.org

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Based on nature and swimming miles the 2' isn't anything but based on math it is 50% more...
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Curious Reefer
    Thanks

Enough room for 2

Quote Originally Posted by lReef lKeeper View Post
    i would max his size in your tank to 5" maybe 4 1/2".
    Thanks for the advise ReefKeeper.

That was my guess as well.. As this is my first and only tang, how long will it take the fish to grow to the 4 1/2 - 5 inch size? This is assuming he has plenty of food readily available for him to snack and graze. Since i've gotton him, he has fattened up nicely.. and really seems to be happy in the tank (for now). Will he grow to 5 inches in a year? Does it generally take longer? I'm asking because I tend to get attached to my fish heheheee.. I don't want to keep him for 3 or 4 years (if thats how long it will take for hime to reach 5 inches) then have to give him up. I'd rather see if i can trade him in for a smaller tang (probably a yellow).

My research before buying the hippo indicated a 75+ gallon tank was necessary, but i didn't read nor consider the actual length of straight swimming room for him.

So, on average, and considering it is well fed, how long would it take a hippo tang to reach 5 inches?

Thanks
    I would trade him in now since most places would have a hard time housing a larger fish. or even better find a fellow reefer with a big tank, or a good LFS with some morals. chances are the place you got it from will turn around and sell it to anybody with money.
    Matt

150 gallon mixed reef
    55 gallon refugium
    100 gallon sump

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    i would give him a year TOPS if he is well fed and taken care of. mine has grown about 2 inches since i got him about 1 1/2 years ago.
    Matt has a good suggestion on trading him in now, before you get attached to him. finding a LFS with morals could take a while, so you could at least start looking now.

Water ...

Equipment ...

www.lmas.org

Thread Information