Thread: Need some advice, thanks

Curious Reefer
    Thanks

Need some advice, thanks

Hopefully this is the right thread to be asking....

Ok, this is the 2nd salt tank I have done, the first was over 10years ago....

the tank is a 45tall (25x18x25)
    My thoughts are this for filtration and what not
    -Fluval 205 (already have)
    -Pentair Aquatics (Lifeguard #FB300) Fluidized bed filter (rio 600 powered)
    -Protein skimmer, for the skimmer, its really between the Aqua-C and a CPR Bak-Pak 2
    -ebo jager heater
    -2 Hydor Koralia #1 wave circ. pumps hooked to a wave maker
    -Lighting will be 2 bulbs at ho, and 2 bulbs at vho. Like to add some lunar lights. The only issue I have is that Id like to have a single unit. Ive found a 4 bulb hood, that is hooked up for 2 ho, and 2 for vho(just need a ballast for vho)

As for the protein skimmer.....I originally thought the seaclone 100 would be a good choice, but after reading alot of different reviews, I struggle to think that was a good choice. 2nd choice is a Aquarium Systems PS, its used and reminds me of a seaclone.....but I came from using a Lee's counter current PS, so...these new skimmers a trick to me :P
    Ive seen some hang on the back ones called "Aqua-C Remora or Remora Pro" using a surface skimmer/bubble trap, and a Maxi-jet pump. Id like to find a hang on the back PS thats very reliable, and easy to use and set-up.

The lighting is also a big factor...as I plan to get a few soft corals(colt, mushroom, clam, and afew other easy to take care of ones to start with.) Id like to either make a case to hold a 4 or 6 bulb retro kit in VHO, as I have read 4-6 watts per gallon. Id like to see daylight bulbs, and attinics, or 50/50 in there as well. Im not sure if a MH bulb would cook the tank, as I dont want a chiller......
    As you can see...I have aloy of questions....and hopefully some of you might be able to help. As for fish....
    Im looking at a clown fish, hippo tang(dora from nemo :P ), prawls(or prawn) gobie, and a scooter blennie, 8line wrasse. Down the line Id like to go with a much bigger tank...possibly a 90ish that will be housing a dwarf octopus.
    would a MH bulb sitting on top of the aquarium raise the temp enough to cook stuff? Ive seen 150watt bulbs as the lowest so far.....The tang is open to discussion to say, since Ive got to have the blennie, gobie, and the clown. other tank inhabitants(sp?) will be brittle stars, serpent stars, a long spined sea urchin, hermit crabs and some snail of different types.

Any ideas and help you can throw my way would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    S

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    Deffiently going to have a few soft corals the choices I have looked at were:
    Yellow Fiji Finger Leather, Flourescent Green Rasta Leather, Neon Green tree coral(leather), Colt Coral, Yellow tree Gorgonian, Red Sea Pink/white pumping Xenia, short tentacle plate coral.

As for all the fish I looked at:
    Randall's Gobie, Golden head sleeper gobie, watchman bluespotted goby, scooter blennie, 8 line wrasse, starry lawnmower blenny.
    Later on, Id like to get that blue hippo tang(dora-finding nemo?) and a Black tang. This of course will be in a 90 gallon I might do in a few years.....right after I get a house bought or built.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    hi,
    welcome.
    Avoid the tang untill you have a larger tank. The tang will not do well in a smaller system as they get very large. I have heard a person might need a tank that is 6ft plus for most tangs. As for the clam unless you plan on going with MH lights or a few T5's dont try to keep the clam. They have higher light needs than most soft corals. The plate could do well, i liked mine in my nano till my pistol shrimp hid it under the sand somewhere.

well start out slow and let your tank have plenty of time to cycle, and dont overpopulate the tank.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hi Smoke and to TR.

Since you want to keep some corals I think I would not use the fluidized bed filter. I have no experience with them but I think that they are mostly useful on FO tanks as they can't do the denitrification necessary for corals. Instead I recommend using a deep sand bed (DSB) and live rock as your primary filtration. I only use my cannister filter for occasional water polishing. If you choose to use it on a regular basis you will need to be fastidious about keeping it clean.

I've used neither of the skimmers you mentioned but both get good reviews. I have a skimmer on my 54 corner and it runs 24/7. I do not have a skimmer on my nano but will be adding one soon.

Lighting a tall tank can be a challenge. How wide is your tank? I have a Solaris LED fixture lighting that I love. I think the new I series would have the intensity to penetrate a tall tank and they don't heat the water. I don't know enough about the HO & VHO bulbs to give you advice, I'll let the guys who know them give you their opinion.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    I agree with Carmie and would like to add the following:

Yes - a MH fixture would cook your tank, and most likely require adding a chiller to keep it at a proper temp. Take a look at T5 HO as an option. While I am looking forward to getting an LED fixture over my 240 next year, the price of these puppies is still quite high, at least initially. In the long run, they are much more cost effective, as no bulb replacement or chillers are needed, and they use less power. I am using T5 HO on my 180, and really like them.

I agree with Photo John regarding the tangs. I have a Powder Blue in my 240 (8' long) and there are times when even this tank seems a little small for him. Tangs really like to swim back and forth, so a long tank is needed. I agree that 6' length seems to be the recommended minimum.

Yep - ditch the fluidized filter and canister filter. Let live rock, live sand, and good skimming do the filtration. A sump under the tank would be a good idea, as it would allow you to hide the skimmer, heater, etc. I have used the SeaClone and hated it. I use a Remora hang on on my 10 gallon coral QT tank, and this is a good skimmer. I have an extra one I use for curring live rock. My favorite skimmers are made by Euro-Reef. They are pricey, and they do not make a hang on unit.

I can not encourage you enough to NOT skimp on the skimmer. IMO, this is the most important piece of equipment. Get one that's rated for a tank larger than the one you have.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    240 gallon Mixed Reef + 46 gallon Mixed Reef + 40 gallon coral prop tank - 180 gallon FOWLR = a little more time and money!

The stories behind my tanks can be found at:
    http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/me...eam-tanks.html

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I have a 400watt MH 14k on my 46g bow front and my tank never gets over 82 degrees...I sometimes run a small fan but I dont usually need it.

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    Old 12-14-2007, 05:08 PM #1
    smoke20ster
    squid

Some questions
    OK, Ive talked to a few of you yesterday about this 45tall, after sitting down and loooking at the aquarium...and what I wanted to invision it to be.

Ive looked into a much larger aquarium. Going from a 45tall(25x18x25) to a 75tall(48x18x21). So what I wanted to know....hopefully a few others I talked to will remeber my other thread, Im also going with a "sump" as I was pointed in that direction.
    Since its not glass, yes glasscages.com wont ship to Nebraska(for glass) and driving to Des Moines, IA is the closest they will ship to so I kind of get screwed, it was cheaper to go with glass in the same size....I hadto go with a acrylic, overflow built in "reef ready". Looking like around 500 shipped (tank, all the bulkheads, acrylic tops, and drilled, overflow, and finally a sump), unless someone has another source?

So, knowing that I will need 2 Hydor Koralia #4's, a skimmer(not sure what kind) and a 48" light (looking at a T5 or T6 with a possible MH or just all T5/T6 bulbs with lunar lights)

Does anyone have any suggestions concerning the tank, or what have you?

Thanks
    Bigger is ALWAYS better. You have a bigger margin of error, as a larger volume of water is more forgiving. You can keep more fish and corals. You will have more room under the tank for a bigger sump, bigger skimmer, etc.

There's nothing wrong with acrylic. It's stonger, less likely to leak, more clear, and offer better insullation properties. It's also way lighter. And you can drill it to add a closed loop system, etc. Biggest problem - it scratches ... easily. My 240 reef is acrylic. No matter how careful I am, I always seen to give it a new minor scratch every time I'm cleaning it. And it is a pain to clean, as only a portion of the 8' x 2' tank is open. My 180 FOWLR is a glass tank. Easier to clean, but weighed a ton and isn't quite as clear.

When you say "reef ready", do you mean it has an overflow only? Some "reef ready" tanks have a section in the back portion of the tank for a wet/dry filter and simple skimming. Stay away from these, IMO.

Orbit makes a nice selection of T5 lights. the one I have on the 180 is 4 x 54 watt 48" bulbs and 4 white lunar lights. I will be upgading to their new PRO model. It has 6 x 54, and each bulb has it's own reflector rather than a single large one for all the bulbs.

Finally, I think you will be much happier with the larger tank. I like the width, depth, and height ratio much better. So will your corals and fish!
    240 gallon Mixed Reef + 46 gallon Mixed Reef + 40 gallon coral prop tank - 180 gallon FOWLR = a little more time and money!

The stories behind my tanks can be found at:
    http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/me...eam-tanks.html

SPS Reefer / TR Admin lReef lKeeper's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    if this is in reply to not keeping tangs ... it is still to small. a tank for tangs IMHO should be at least 72" long.
    lReef lKeeper (Bobby) Admin and Reefer

Water ...
    Custom 4x2x1 60 gallon, 40B sump

Equipment ...
    6x54w HO T5 fixture, 300+g rated Frankenskimmer, ATO, 3 Media Reactors (1 p04, 1 N03, 1 Carbon)

www.lmas.org

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Thread Information