Thread: Introducing Coral to a new tank

Curious Reefer
    Thanks

Introducing Coral to a new tank

Rob,
    I have had fish only tanks on and off since 1975. I have set up a 125g reef tank, converting my wet/dry to a sump with a mag 12 for the output, AquaC EV-120 Skimmer, Mag 5 for the skimmer, 2 500gph powerheads, 1 1500 gph powerhead, 3 150W MH, 4 96W Actinic compact floresents, 80lbs of base rock, 30lbs of live rock, 100lbs of Southdown sand. I am filling the tank with RO/DI water tonight. I am new to a reef tank so my question is after I cycle the tank should I start with fish then introduce corals at a later date? and what is the time frame I should wait? I think I have everything I need, if you can suggest anything else I need for a succesful reef tank feel free to tell me.

Thanks
    Tom
    Mays Landing, NJ

Thanks
    Welcome to TR Tom

I'd introduce your clean up crew first- maybe after 6 weeks depending on what your tests are reading. Salifert test kits are the best when it comes to testing water. You will want to test for calcium, ammonia, PH, ALK, nitrites, and nitrates *at a minimum*. Anything you dose- you will need to test for. Some people dose Iodine, I don't think it's really necessary- water changes will replenish that for you. If you dose it, you need to test for it so you don't overdose. Save your money and not buy all those reef additives like I did. CA/Kalk is all I add for the most part- may need ALK and PH buffer too.

For fish- start thinking of what types you want- always introduce your least aggressive fish first. Don't buy a damsel whatever you do!!

Tell us what you plan for the tank. What kind of fish and corals?

Do you need a heater?

Sounds like you have a great start so far- keep askin questions
    How about a few pictures??

Thanks
    Gwen's right on the fish.. try to avoid damsels, in a reef, because they can be either aggressive or destructive, sometimes both.. and i also agree to start with less aggressive fish in general.

regarding the coral, i can not give a blanket answer. some coral can go in when the cycle is done, some you will need to wait many month before your tank would be able to support them..

let us know what genus or species you are interested in and we can try and give you a bit more direction. (when providing this info, be a bit more specific than "mostly softies, and maybe a few LPS for now", as that doesn't really help a whole lot)
    Show people you appreciate there advice, click the icon under there name and give them Reputation points

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gwen_o_lyn
    Welcome to TR Tom

I'd introduce your clean up crew first- maybe after 6 weeks depending on what your tests are reading.
    Would that be after I intro the fish? or Before?

Welcome to TR Tom

Do you need a heater?
    I have a rena 300W and a AZOO 300W Titanium heater.

I intend to have a peacful tank. With soft corals. I can't be more specific due to I don't exatly know what I want in corals. I am thinking in fish as a couple of Tangs maybe Yellow, a Hippo, Clowns, Wrasses. Not sure yet I am still doing research. I will cycle the tank using the Shrimp method.

Tom

Thanks
    Before fish- the first critters you add- hermits and snails and such. You can have 1 snail and 1 hermit per gallon- however many you want. If the food isn't available- they will eat anything you feed the tank. I personally like having a HUGE cleanup crew. I just love hermit crabs for some reason!!

2 tangs is possible- just be careful. Usually one tang is recommended, but on the bigger setups, you can have more. Good choice of fish so far. Watch out for yellow tangs- I've heard many people mention how mean they can be. My blue tang is fairly mild.

Do research on your heaters- just read about a tank being cooked the other day. Doing 2 heaters is very smart, but I gonna have to take a guess and say that a 300w heater could cook a tank on its own- just check on that to make sure- again I'm not 100%. But add a sump to the equation and you may be alright- I'll let others comment on that. Most reefers stick to 2 brands on heaters that are known to be trusted *so many tanks get cooked* the Ebo Jag which I prefer and the Won titanium. No heater is safe unless you have a controller, but I trust my Ebo Jag and most people do.

Thanks
    And one more thing just to protect you- using your email addess as your user name is an invitation for spam. Just wanted that to be a heads up for you- if you don't mind spam and that works for you, then don't change it. Get with Rob if you wanna change your name.

Thanks
    And one more thing just to protect you- using your email addess as your user name is an invitation for spam. Just wanted that to be a heads up for you- if you don't mind spam and that works for you, then don't change it. Get with Rob if you wanna change your name.
    Sent you a PM about it Tom
    Show people you appreciate there advice, click the icon under there name and give them Reputation points

Thanks
    and i would like to support the items stated by Gwen..
    i too and a HUGE Ebo Jager fan, they are very accurate and trustworthy
    i am also becoming a fan of the marineland stealth heaters (the plastic shatterproof ones, i don't like the glass visa-therm ones)

for the fish, you should be good. you can keep all them fish in the same tank. (in fact that's exactly what i have in mine.. ) make sure you do your homework on the tangs, as they have special dietary needs. and try to introduce them young, and at about the same time.. and you will be fine..

for the coral, no problem... when you need more info on them, just let us know and we'll help ya out..

Curious Reefer
    Thanks

125 gallon Update

Hows your tank doing now? It's been a while

Thread Information