Thread: what size pump for 57 watt uv?

Thanks

what size pump for 57 watt uv?

ok here's the deal i bought an aqua ultraviolet 57 watt uv sterilizer, for my reef/fish tank that is 120 plus about a 30 gallon sump below, some are telling me the wattage is too big for my tank and i might ruin my reef, is this true? also what size pump do i need, i am just going to place the uv about the sump and pump in and out so there really wont be much hose (not even a foot) i was thinking a mag5, sound good????

Thanks
    There is a max flowrate of 3500gph on that particular model. Obviously you won't need all that so a Mag5 seems like it would work just fine.
    Clarence
    55g sumpless mixed reef(soon to be 120g)
    DSB(2 to 6 inches)aprox. 80 lbs,LR aprox. 60 t0 80 lbs.,Coralife 220 Protein Skimmer,CPR HOB Refugium with Fiji Mud
    Member of SDMAS
    RIP Sarracino Ciro 12/16/04 - 4/3/08

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tlpmyd View Post
    ok here's the deal i bought an aqua ultraviolet 57 watt uv sterilizer, for my reef/fish tank that is 120 plus about a 30 gallon sump below, some are telling me the wattage is too big for my tank and i might ruin my reef, is this true? also what size pump do i need, i am just going to place the uv about the sump and pump in and out so there really wont be much hose (not even a foot) i was thinking a mag5, sound good????
    Tom,
    Those that tell you, you might ruin your reef, don't have a clue what they are talking about. Rumors and misconceptions about UV sterilizers abound with little factual information. They usually say something like, "Your going to kill all the bacteria in your reef". Nothing could be farther from the truth. Your LR and LS will still be fully colonized with bacteria. The only killing a UV does is within the chamber. You made a wise choice in over sizing the UV. That is a practice I've employed successfully for 40 years with my marine aquariums.

Dick
    Amphibious

Good Luck comes to those who research and prepare.

Our Talking Reef Forum The Cultured Reef Forum
    My tank journal Amphibious' 135 mixed reef.
    The Cutured Reef toll free number - 888 745-0449

Amblyeleotris randalli commonly, Randall's Goby.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphibious View Post
    Tom,
    Those that tell you, you might ruin your reef, don't have a clue what they are talking about. Rumors and misconceptions about UV sterilizers abound with little factual information. They usually say something like, "Your going to kill all the bacteria in your reef". Nothing could be farther from the truth. Your LR and LS will still be fully colonized with bacteria. The only killing a UV does is within the chamber. You made a wise choice in over sizing the UV. That is a practice I've employed successfully for 40 years with my marine aquariums.

Dick
    I couldn't agree more. I have always had one on my tanks and believe they are very beneficial.

Regarding flow rate: the slower the flow, the more effective the kill. At high flow rates, your pretty much going to be killing algae spores. Slower flow rates will increase the contact time with the UV and allow the UV to kill larger organisms.

A Mag 5 or 7 would be fine, IMO.

Thanks
    ok great. well im probably going to go with a mag 5, as far as killing the algae as well, does that include coralline? i should be reclieving it soon, hope so all of a sudden i lost 4 fish and alot of my other fish have ich and cloudy eye, im treating the tank with no sick fish but doesnt look like anything is working, and unfortunately my tank it too big and have to many rocks to net the remaining sick ones out to qt.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    The UV will only kill what passes through it. So, no it will have no effect on your Coraline algae.

Dick
    Amphibious

Good Luck comes to those who research and prepare.

Our Talking Reef Forum The Cultured Reef Forum
    My tank journal Amphibious' 135 mixed reef.
    The Cutured Reef toll free number - 888 745-0449

Amblyeleotris randalli commonly, Randall's Goby.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tlpmyd View Post
    ok great. well im probably going to go with a mag 5, as far as killing the algae as well, does that include coralline? i should be reclieving it soon, hope so all of a sudden i lost 4 fish and alot of my other fish have ich and cloudy eye, im treating the tank with no sick fish but doesnt look like anything is working, and unfortunately my tank it too big and have to many rocks to net the remaining sick ones out to qt.
    I know that you say your tank is too big and you have too many rocks to get the rest of your fish, but you must. I have a 240 gallon tank with approx 250 lbs of live rock. When my tanks inhabitants came down with ich, I had to remove ALL of the live rock to get all the fish out. It was a huge pain in the you-know-what, but allowing your tank to run fallow for 4-6 weeks AND treated the fish in a QT tank is the ONLY way to insure success. Of course, we are talking about fish-hosted diseases. Without a host, the disease dies off.

The UV will help with parasites in the water, but will not help with parasites on or in your fish, or anywhere else in the tank. I know of no "miracle cure" for ich. I tried garlic, I tried lowering the salinity, but neither helped. I realize that many people have had success with one or both of these methods, but i beleive that many more have had no luck with such methods.

Sorry - I hate to be the bearer of bad news. And having been there, I know what you're going through.

Thread Information