Thread: ID this tang please!

Thanks

ID this tang please!

If you could please ID this fish, I would greatly appreciate it. I found it at a LFS and they have it labeled as a "blue tail tang". It has a blue edge on the dorsal and anal fins, I think this is where they got the name. I am seriously considering getting it but the price tag is deterring me a little(199.99). Its about 6 inches long and very active. Well without further ado here is the fishy!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Clarence
    55g sumpless mixed reef(soon to be 120g)
    DSB(2 to 6 inches)aprox. 80 lbs,LR aprox. 60 t0 80 lbs.,Coralife 220 Protein Skimmer,CPR HOB Refugium with Fiji Mud
    Member of SDMAS
    RIP Sarracino Ciro 12/16/04 - 4/3/08

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Clarence,

In my humble opinion, you are asking for trouble, here's why I think that.

You have a 55 gal system housing, Zebrasoma flavescens, Paracanthurus hepatus, Acanthurus leucosternon and a few other critters. It's the 3 Tangs that are going to cause problems. If you are getting by with these 3 Tangs without problems you are fortunate. Adding a fourth 6" Tang of unknown species (at this time) there is going to be territorial terror. We know that Tangs are notoriously susceptible to Ich often caused by stress. Adding the new Tang is likely to cause stress. Ich is almost always present in your aquarium and the new comer could bring it in, too.

Adding just one more may be the straw that breaks the camel's back and you pay a heavy price in losses. I wouldn't do it. But, you need to make that decision. At $200 it's a bit pricy for what it looks like in the picture.

Just my opinion.

Dick
    Amphibious

Good Luck comes to those who research and prepare.

Our Talking Reef Forum The Cultured Reef Forum
    My tank journal Amphibious' 135 mixed reef.
    The Cutured Reef toll free number - 888 745-0449

Amblyeleotris randalli commonly, Randall's Goby.

Thanks
    I just purchased a 120g(48x24x24) and it will be delivered next Wednesday. I have decided if I get this one, I will turn my Zebrasoma in to make room for it, if they don't sell this one by the time I get moved in the next 3 to 4 weeks hehe. I will be starting a log on here as soon as I get everything set up. 120 DT, 55g sump and 29g refugium. I can't wait!!! Thank you for the input Dick, as always its appreciated very much!
    Clarence
    DSB(2 to 6 inches)aprox. 80 lbs,LR aprox. 60 t0 80 lbs.,Coralife 220 Protein Skimmer,CPR HOB Refugium with Fiji Mud
    Member of SDMAS

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Clarence,

Congratulations on your new tank!
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

SPS Reefer / TR Admin lReef lKeeper's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Clarence, a 120 is still a 4' tank (is your new one not ??). it is recommended to have at LEAST a 6' tank to keep even 1 tang. i have to agree with Dick on this one. BOTH tanks, IMO, are still to small to keep tangs in. they are documented as covering hundreds of miles every day in the wild, while just grazing on algae. in a 4' tank, i would go with no more than 2 tangs at MAXIMUM.

i have a 6' 125gal DT with my purple, hippo, and chevron, and in my 8' frag tank i have my sohol by himself. i think that when i get time to redesign my rocks, i am going to throw the chevron in the 100gal sump to even things out some.

i hope this helps and gives the fish a healthy, happy place to live.
    lReef lKeeper (Bobby) Admin and Reefer

Water ...
    Custom 4x2x1 60 gallon, 40B sump

Equipment ...
    6x54w HO T5 fixture, 300+g rated Frankenskimmer, ATO, 3 Media Reactors (1 p04, 1 N03, 1 Carbon)

www.lmas.org

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    I see...well I have decided against getting this tang. I would still like to ID it but since everyone is telling me not to overcrowd my tank with tangs I'll stick to the ones I have. They get along fine and I don't want to mess the balance up.

Thanks Carmie! I am so happy! This is my first drilled tank hehe. I can't wait to get moved and set it up!

Bobby thanks for the input. I eventually want to go to a 72Lx24Hx30D, or something similar, as my DT but I have to wait until I get settled and buy a house out here. The 120g is a half step so to speak. I also want to use it as a prop tank once I get what I really want hehe. I have seen several tangs being kept in a 48" tank. Reef Videos, Carl's 150g, he has several tangs in a 48" tank. I'm not saying its right but it seems possible.

Once again a big thank you to everyone for replying!
    Clarence
    Member of SDMAS

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pescaiolo View Post
    I have seen several tangs being kept in a 48" tank. Reef Videos, Carl's 150g, he has several tangs in a 48" tank. I'm not saying its right but it seems possible.
    this greatly depends on the tang species. it is doable, but not recommended. even for the smaller tangs.

Water ...

Equipment ...
    6x54w HO T5 fixture, 300+g rated Frankenskimmer, ATO, 3 Media Reactors (1 p04, 1 N03, 1 Carbon)

www.lmas.org

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    I am not one to shun advice from experienced hobbyists so I will not get anymore tangs. As a matter of fact I think I'm not going to be getting anymore fish, corals are a different story though. Thanks for the advice Bobby!
    Clarence
    Member of SDMAS

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    you got it buddy. i would not say dont get anymore tangs ... just get a HUGE tank first !! lol

Water ...

Equipment ...

www.lmas.org

Thread Information