Thread: help with new build

Thanks

help with new build

I am setting up a new 150g. tank. Its 4'x2'x30". my original plan was to put everything under the stand. I drilled 4 holes across the top for a 32" overflow with 1" bulkheads and 2 holes for return lines with dual locklines. after seeing some other setups I've decided to put the sump and fuge in the basement. I will be using a 100g rubbermaid tub and a 55g for the fuge.now there will be about 12' of head which changes my plans.I was recommended to use a sequence barracuda pump for the return. will my overflow be adequate or should I drill more holes, possibly bigger holes. I was also thinking of making a manifold to add more return options. any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also I haven't made the overflow box yet. thanks matt

SPS Reefer / TR Admin lReef lKeeper's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    from the specs on the barracuda ... it should do great for you. i would suggest putting a ball valve on the blow off so you can adjust the flow rate without restricting the pump.
    lReef lKeeper (Bobby) Admin and Reefer

Water ...
    Custom 4x2x1 60 gallon, 40B sump

Equipment ...
    6x54w HO T5 fixture, 300+g rated Frankenskimmer, ATO, 3 Media Reactors (1 p04, 1 N03, 1 Carbon)

www.lmas.org

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    I'm worried about my overflow not being adequate. thanks for all your help bobby, you're getting a glass grogspawn soon

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    your overflow will be fine IF you add the blow off (back to the sump) with a ball valve. i am calling you now ...

Water ...

Equipment ...
    6x54w HO T5 fixture, 300+g rated Frankenskimmer, ATO, 3 Media Reactors (1 p04, 1 N03, 1 Carbon)

www.lmas.org

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    I too thought maybe I should get a Barracuda for the return. I was told that the 1" bulkheads that I have could not handle it. My reeflo Dart was cranked down about 1/3 for the first 3 weeks and is now cranked down to 1/4. I think a Dart would be as big as I would go with 1" bulkheads. That should be a lot of flow for a 4ft tank. If I did not have filter socks on my drains I would have serious microbubbles with almost 2000gph going through this sump. The sound a Barracuda would make would sound like a geyser in my opinion because the drains woudl not be able to keep up with the flow. You still may need an additional pump or two with the Dart but will have some serious flow if you do. I hate to see you buy and plumb the Cuda and then ask yourself why you did not go with something with less head pressure. How many feet will the Barracuda have to push the water?
    "Jim" - always learning

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    it will have a 12' head hieght and he also has 4 x 1" drains in a CTC (coast to coast) overflow. the overflows could definately handle it (with a blow off valve). he will be looking at around 2500 GPH after head loss through 4 1" drains at the top of the tank, so each drain will handle about 350 - 400 GPH, giving him 1400 GPH (on the low end), BUT with the blow off back to the sump, he can lower it to where he needs it without putting unnecessary strain on the pump.
    and he will probably be adding a frag tank to the same system in the future.

Water ...

Equipment ...

www.lmas.org

Thanks
    I guess I did not read into it correctly - yep no problem with 4 drains(nice) and 12 ft to reduce head pressure. Can't wait to hear the results...
    "Jim" - always learning

Thanks

to close to the washer?

I'm putting a 100g rubbermaid tub for a sump in my basement. the ideal spot for it is 5 to 6 feet away from the washer and dryer.we use liquid detergent. do any of you see this as a prblem? thanks

Thanks
    I'm putting a 100g rubbermaid tub for a sump in my basement. the ideal spot for it is 5 to 6 feet away from the washer and dryer.we use liquid detergent. do any of you see this as a prblem? thanks
    not at all, you can always incorperate a lid of some type....? better to be safe!

Thanks
    this is the best site for getting replies thank you very much

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Unless you start throwing soap around the basement I don't think you would have any problem.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nay,kid View Post
    Soap will not be so much of a problem. Sprays and aerosols (ie.. Spot removers, Spray Starch) are a definite problem. Our 24g nano is in my daughter's bedroom, so we always make sure to spray her hair detangler in the living room.

-S

Thread Information