Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Corey's first salt water tank

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Awesome pics. Great looking fish and clams.
    Ray or Raymond
    There is no elevator to success in marine tanks. You have to take the stairs.

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Expert Reefer
    Thanks
    OK so it looks like I picked things up at 2-25-10. Since then there has been a night mare of brown diatoms or algae in the tank. I believe it is the "Italian Springs" Sea Veggies Green Seaweed produced by Two little fishies, please prove me wrong... as I have been a huge fan of every thing produced by Two Little Fishies for many years now. I feeed the seaweed for ten days then stopped completelly the last few days. I was feeding a good 3inch by 6 inch strip rubber banneded to a peice of live rock.

I picked up four fish a medium 6 inch scrilbbled eyed rabbit fish, a (micro) fire fish who jumped into the over flow... got him out jumped back in, got him out jumped back in went through to the sump... took out the protein skimmer and pump then got him back into the display tank and has been there since last night in the display that is. I need to build some wedding net covers as I do not prefer egg crate over the returns as small as he is. I can't remember the exact date that I got the (small 3 inch) sail fin yet I know it was from green tree when I purchased the lights, the VHO t-5's one all white one 50-50 actnic blue, along with the yellow eyed purple tang ( small 4 inch) and purple and yellow wrasse ( 1.5 inch) who is doing very well. My Zoanthoids are opening up again and spreading rapidly producing new heads constantly under my 10 K MH lights (Thank you Bobby!). I have been loving running my two new VHO T5's from around 12PM to 1-2AM for an extended photo period with the MH running from 7PM to 1-2 AM as usual.

I am extremely concerned with my Xenia coral in the back left corner which was spreading all around a 7 inch rock so well for the last 3-4 months until I entered in the sail fin tang which I am afraid may be consuming it based upon other reefers posts. I plan to make a bottle protection for it with in the next day or two as it has been picked down quite a bite yet I have never witnessed it. It was one of my favorite corals as it was so prolific. My sun corals were under a rock for four days and went from 40-50 heads to 6-10 and I have been trying to recover them since. The brown algae seems to be so hard to fight against. The last four days I have dove in with a turkey baster twice and pushed off every thing that looks like it every other day . Aside from my daily magnet scrapping of the sides. I am still cleaning out the protein skimmer collection cup every day, and the throat leading up to it once every four days. At the same time my Xenia started declining my hammer coral did the same there must be a connection. I lost one of my prized clams from Vietnam last week yet the other is doing great. The one that pasted over night never would attach its strings to substrate adn would always list on its side.

I have been doing 4-5 gallons of watter changes 3-4 days per week over the last 5-6 weeks as well as adding part A and B calcium and alkalinity supplements for the last 4-5 months every night a slight squirt.. I will test tomorrow for my TDS in my RO/DI unit. I have been replacing my phosban stuff in my sock every two weeks. I have been cleaning my sponge in my sump every week. When I first got the new VHO lights and fish I added a cotton floss to the sump and left it for a week then removed it and haven't used it since.

The last 5 days I have gone at all of the rock work and corals with a turkey baster to get off the brown allege every other day after waiting four days before the second treatment. It is amazing how quickly it comes back, even with water changes.

So I am really worried about this brown diatom bloom, my hammer coral hasn't been opening up for 4 weeks, my xenia has been demolished over the last four weeks, I lost a prized clam two weeks ago, and I am having to go into the tank every couple of days now due to this darn brown diatom out break...

Expert Reefer
    Thanks
    Jeremy and Bobbie at the LMAS meeting today figured out my problem. That silica was leaching out of the phosphate remover that I was using from Kent Marine the white powdery stuff. They said I should be using phosbane and it is brown. Also that my alkalinity is probably to low, because all of my softies are shriveled up.

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    You poor b@s@rd, you just keep receiving knocks.

what PO4 remover were you using, it must do your head in bud, this stuff contributes to that, this effects this, and so on and so forth - almost like its never ending hey!

why have you chosen to go an extended lighting period. bobby maybe cause he has predominately sps, but you have mainly softies, with both T5 & MH beams.

I must be pretty lucky, cause my tanks get ugly during the initialise phase, there after im always laughing.
    Not to mention she takes a hell of long time of purposeful mis-management on my part to experience the issues alot of people deal with on here. I practicality nuked my last field trip excursion of a tank from so many different directions (nano as well to make it worst) & even then it just wouldn't crash.

I feel your pain bud. Hang in there, it gets better.

Vquilibrium Productions

Expert Reefer
    Thanks
    Calcium was 200 dossed 1 hr later 400 1 hr later 460
    Alk 180 and dropping hopefully
    Nitrate 0
    Nitrite 0
    PH 8.4
    GH + KH 179 ppm
    Salinity 1.026

Softies are starting to open slightly now. Just been adding calcium supplement the last two days, will continue to do that until the ALK. drops down to normal range and softies completely open up. Also doing water changes 5 gallons per day for a while. V I was using the Kent Marine phosphate remover the white powdery stuff. Feed the seaweed again last night glad it wasn't from that.
    Phosphates 0

Expert Reefer
    Thanks

Any ideas as to what this is? The yellow eyed purple tang began getting pale three days ago. Tonight I noticed these dark blotchy spots on his right side. He is still eating well and all of the other fish look fine.

Expert Reefer
    Thanks
    I woke up this mornin.... on the wrong side of bed..... that's when I realized...... my yellow purple eyed tang was dead..... yeah I've got the reef keeping fish blues..... maybe gotta sell my soul to da devil...... maybe that's what I'll do...

And now tonight the scribbled face fox fish looks like it has little white ick spots on it.... The other fish look great.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Oh no! I am sorry your fish died. I hate to loose fish.

Do you have a QT tank?
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Corey, I am sorry to hear about your tang.
    Ray or Raymond
    There is no elevator to success in marine tanks. You have to take the stairs.

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Expert Reefer
    Thanks
    Thank you. Yes I have a 30 gallon that's been up and running since Nov. of last year. I'm gonna wait a day or two and just observe before I jump the gun. As it would be very stressful on such a big fish. The rabbit fish is about 5-6 inches long.

Expert Reefer
    Thanks
    The spots on the fish went away on there own after three days. He and the others are doing great! I went with 7 other LMAS members to the frag swap in Indianapolis IN.We had a great time. I picked up a dark green anemones with light green tips, some frog spawn, a green cup coral, a zoanthoide colony that has green and orange and blue heads, and a baseball size frag of a green branching coral. The anemones has slide off of the square ceramic tile it was on and is slowly creeping on the back tank wall right now. The green cup coral has bleached now in random areas about 20%, Yet I have two other cup corals that bleached 80% and are now coming back. The frog spawn looks great and especially the anemones. I dipped everything in revive and when I did the anemones I found a baby brittle star fish. I'll post pics soon.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Looking forward to seeing the pictures!
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Sounds great Corey! I can't wait to see some pictures of your tank and the new inhabitants.

Expert Reefer
    Thanks
    My apologies I wasn't really able to share much in pics. It was rather difficult to capture many pics in such water depth. I installed a digital thermometer a week ago and have found my tank to be 6 degrees above the glass thermometer over the last many months, and I suspect 86 is far to high for many fellow reefers, and that is why I have not had luck with a few high priced clams and corals... yet here is a few shots of what is going on. Along with a ton of coralline alga and some awesome feather dusters all over my rocks, I have also had a ton of micro sponges propagating!
    Green Branching coral

Colony of Zoo's thanks to Bobby from back in Nov.

One of the only stonies I have been able to keep, I believe it to be be a green montipora
    Just wanted to show you the growth of 1/16 - 1/8 of an inch.
    Have you ever seen coraline growth like this?! It is almost like a cup coral!!! The leaflets and all...

Expert Reefer
    Thanks
    Two months ago I found out that my salinity was low at a LMAS meting 1.016 my mistake. I gradually raised it up over two weeks to 1.026. I was having issues with all softies shriveled up. This was also due to high alkalinity. My green trumpet corals are still not opening up as much as they should and are fading away. Over the last month my Xenia is back to full polyps yet still not spreading as normal. The star polyps I have now glued to my back right over flow about a month ago and are spreading very well. my zops have almost opened up yet still have along way to go to date. My branching coral has broke in half yet is still growing very well. 2 of three leathers look good the last isn't opening polyps still. My hammer coral has been severely receded the last few months and I'm about to lose it. The clam looks great. The green cup coral has been doing well. the purple one is good. The fish are great. So tonight I tested for everything I could at its supposed worst point. Right before I am about to do my weekly 5 gallon partial water change. Change my activated carbon sock and phosphate sponge sock I do this every 3-4 weeks. Also clean my skimmer cup as I do every other day.

Salinity 1.026
    Calcium 500-520
    Phosphate .25
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 10 ppm
    KH 161-179ppm
    Ammonia 0
    PH 7.4

Those were all taken with the very reliable and accurate PHI liquid drop test kits. I don't have one yet for alkalinity. I only have a multi test strip for that and I don't trust it.
    The strip read.
    Alkalinity 180-200
    Nitrate 160 (Really?! come on...lol)
    Nitrite 10
    PH 7.8

So please share your thoughts and recommendations on saving my hammer coral and green trumpets.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hi Corey,

KH is another way to measure alkalinity. The recommended range is 125-200 so yours is fine. Those dip stick tests are known to be inaccurate. The nitrates are a little high. I would guess that this is because nitrifing bacteria colonize the carbon and phosphate removers. What are your nitrates a day or two after you change them?

Do you feed your trumpets and hammer? Mine get fish mush squirted over them every time I feed.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Expert Reefer
    Thanks
    Am cooking aptaisa on one of my rocks at 450 degrees... Spotted two in my sump last month. One in my display last week. I sucked it out last night with a turkey baster. Then spotted another in my display. Tonight when I was going after it i spotted three more on the same place of live rock. So I regrettably sawed of my only stony coral that has lasted 11 months now my green motipora, I fraged it and put i back into the display. I then put the rest of the football size rock into the oven to kill off the three aptasia and all other life forms unfortunately..

Thanks
    Have you tried the Joes Juice to kill them. Are you going to cure the cooked rock again or just put it back in the display? That much die off could just continue to raise havoc on your params.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to SaltyDawg For This Useful Post:

Coreyz (10-09-2010)

Expert Reefer
    Thanks
    Deffinety going to cure it first for a long time... I have kalwaser solution I could have used other than the jones juice yet when I saw three pop up right away I figured I had to act fast.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    That was really drastic something I would not have done. There were a lot of other options, but to each his own.

Expert Reefer
    Thanks
    I agree Rostr02, it didn't work out as well as I wanted it to. I counted 10 new aptasia last night. Time for some new peppermint shrimps I guess.

Expert Reefer
    Thanks
    I found this nasty looking guy in the front of my tank tonight. I think its a molt of the exoskeleton. I remember seeing this small crab about the size of a dime when I put my live tatoka rock into my display a year ago. Tonight this exoskeleton was about five inches wide! I never have seen him over the last year.

Expert Reefer
    Thanks
    At our LMAS frag swap today I won a raffle and picked up a sunset montipora neon green, and two frags of green tip leather.

Thanks
    While researching gorilla crabs a while back I read many different times that black pointy claws and hairy is not good. I've seen first hand the damage that can be done overnight. Looks to me like a Xanthid species. Might be time to find him. Check here....second one down.www.chucksaddiction.com/hitchcrabs.html

Expert Reefer
    Thanks
    Thanks for the tip! Now the hunt begins!

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread Information