Thread: Mouth Full Of Babies!

Thanks

Mouth Full Of Babies!

I got my male Bangai to smile for the camera...I'm not sure you can see it, but when I look at this full screen, there are sets of eyes looking back! I just wanted to share!

Phil
    180 SPS exclusive reef display

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    sweet rookie

i had to blow it up & stand on the other side of the room to work out thats not a tounge. I was not aware cardinals were mouth broaders, great job, whats the story with this, i havn't followed your tank bud, so did a clown fish accidently fall over & 9 months later ..presto or what?

Vquilibrium Productions

Thanks
    very cool. what are you feeding the babies
    read and learn and ask questions. knowledge is power

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    The eyes have it! Congratulations.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    Bangais are mouth brooders. They spawn about every three weeks. The pair is in my 180 display, so I don't have much of a chance at saving babies. Occasionally I'll see one in the tank, Time before last, two took a ride down the overflow into the sump....I feed them frozen cyclopeeze and Golden Pearls. Their bodies are bow larger than a pea and thier fins top to bottom, maybe...3/4 of an inch! Very cute babies!
    180 SPS exclusive reef display

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Cool. Iv herd of them being mouth brooders but never had seen it before.
    Ray or Raymond
    There is no elevator to success in marine tanks. You have to take the stairs.

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    That's really cool! I always enjoyed breeding African cichlids just to watch that fascinating behavior, I'd love to try spawning a salt species!

Thanks
    Hehe, Thats a great pic and great topic title too

I am just about to grab some cardinals for my tank!
    Samuel

"If they but knew it, almost all men in their degree, some time or other, cherish very nearly the same feelings towards the ocean with me.... There is magic in it. Let the most absent-minded men be plunged in his deepest reveries--stand that man on his legs, set his feet a-going, and he will infallibly lead you to water, if water there be in all that region."

Herman Melville, Moby Dick, Ch. 1.

http://religiousspiritualism.wordpress.com

Thanks
    That is really amazing. So, they never survive?
    "Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study Hard. Be evil."

Abolish the IRS! Bring transparency and accountability to tax policy - close all loopholes and brings fairness to taxation. Support the Fair Tax plan... visit http://www.fairtax.org

Thanks
    I imagine it's like keeping guppies in a community tank... the babies become fish food!

But I wonder how stressful it would be to the father if he were put in a guppy breeding floating container? It probably wouldn't be worth the risk. I suppose if one is serious about breeding these guys, a dedicated tank would need to be set up for them, eh?

Any updates, Salty?

Thanks
    Very cool indeed. My LFS has several breeding pairs in display tanks. I asked him how he gets the babies out. he says he can tell when they are ready to be released, so he scoops up the adult and holds him upside down until all the babies fall out. At first i thought he was kidding, but he was totally serious. I told him that they must be very trusting fish. he said that it was more likely they were very tired and hungry and were glad to be rid of the little buggers!

The proof is in the pudding, as they say. He has a tank full of babies that are doing great. I've got 2 on hold when they're big enough.

Thanks
    That's a great story about your LFS guy, Danamack! You'll have to let us know how your captive breed bangais do! So cool that you're getting captive breed ones.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinecone_Jeff View Post
    That's a great story about your LFS guy, Danamack! You'll have to let us know how your captive breed bangais do! So cool that you're getting captive breed ones.
    Thanks. I had the opportunity to purchase wild caught ones at $4 each (another LFS gives me his cost, and they were on special to him because he bought a large number of them.) As much as I loved the price, I decided to wait for the captive breed ones. They will probably cost me $30 - $40 each, but I believe it's the right thing to do.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Danamck View Post
    Thanks. I had the opportunity to purchase wild caught ones at $4 each (another LFS gives me his cost, and they were on special to him because he bought a large number of them.) As much as I loved the price, I decided to wait for the captive breed ones. They will probably cost me $30 - $40 each, but I believe it's the right thing to do.
    Especially since they are now on the Red List. Here is a great thread Marine Ornamental Fish & Invert Breeders :: View topic - 2008 Breeder's Challenge Proposal - Year of Cardinalfish from an international group of people discussing the issue of can it be profitable to raise them. As mentioned in the thread, I think the bottom line is hobbyist education and hobbyist DEMAND.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CarmieJo View Post
    Especially since they are now on the Red List. Here is a great thread Marine Ornamental Fish & Invert Breeders :: View topic - 2008 Breeder's Challenge Proposal - Year of Cardinalfish from an international group of people discussing the issue of can it be profitable to raise them. As mentioned in the thread, I think the bottom line is hobbyist education and hobbyist DEMAND.
    I couldn't agree more!

Thread Information