Thread: Filter socks and my skimmer

Thanks

Question Filter socks and my skimmer

Why does adding a filter sock to my tank cause the skimmer to go absulutly NUTS!?
    -------------------------------------------
    34 Gallon Solana - Starphire Edition is cycling away

Thanks
    I'm sure it's just a coincidence. They shouldn't be related. The only thing that I can think of is there's some chemical on the sock material that messes with surface tension and causes more skimmate. OR you could have something caught in the sock that's dead and decaying? But I'm grasping at straws here.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimm
    I'm sure it's just a coincidence. They shouldn't be related. The only thing that I can think of is there's some chemical on the sock material that messes with surface tension and causes more skimmate. OR you could have something caught in the sock that's dead and decaying? But I'm grasping at straws here.

There had to be something in the sock, it was brand new and I really didn't rinse it like I should of :-?

The skimmer though is still overflowing and I have the hose that I have connected to the skimmer cup just empting into the sump till it stops going nuts. Good think I did a complete skimmer maintence today which of course included cleaning the skimmer cup.
    -------------------------------------------
    34 Gallon Solana - Starphire Edition is cycling away

Thanks
    I have the same experience. I have found that a solid rinse under freshwater (RO is best) will help to minimize the effect the socks have on skimmers. According to my LFS (whom I trust) they claim it's the glue they are using in the manufacturing of the socks. I'm not sure what part requires glue, perhaps they are glued prior to being stitched. But it does seem like a logical reason for the problem.

Thread Information