Thread: ANYONE USING FILTER SOCKS IN SUMP? Cheap place to buy em.

Thanks

ANYONE USING FILTER SOCKS IN SUMP? Cheap place to buy em.

I completely tore down my wet/dry and transformed it into a nice little sump/ lighted refugium. I utilize a filter sock to clean the water and alleviate micro bubbles but soon discovered that this needs to be cleaned at least every few days. I needed a cheap method to change out the socks but normally filter socks are about 5-7 dollars a piece. After searching around online I discovered a great website that I'd like to share with you called www.filterbag.com . The bags are only $1.85 a piece. You have to buy ten but that means you always have some on standy or to give to fellow reefers. I got ten of these PONG100P3P filter bag
    polypropylene felt, 100 micron, size 3, plastic ring. I hope www.filterbag.com saves you a few dollars as it did me.

Thanks
    I use a filter sock only as needed. For me, it is typically when I trim back macro algae from the seahorse tank, when doing a big cleaning of the LR or something, or, in the past, when I was fragging or if any softies were shedding etc.

Other than that, I found that I was literally drowning ounces of mysid and pods per week! I too had to clean the filter sock almost every other day and found little, if any detritus etc. but did end up with a "bag o' bugs".

Instead, I now let the "silt" settle in the sump and when doing water changes, use a shop vac to clean out that sediment from the sump chamber. I noticed an IMMEDIATE boost in the populatoins of pods and mysid.

Dave
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. >((((º>

"Fins to the left...Fins to the Right, I'm going home to play with my reef tonight..."

If you're looking for me, and I'm MIA from the board, email me at JustDavidP (at) gmail (dot) com.

Experience in aquaria, 37 years. Experience in marine, 22+ years. Experience in Reef Keeping, 8 years. Always a newbie!

Thanks
    Good point I never thought about how many pods I woul be killing by using the socks. They keep my water sparkling clean though. Take care..

Thread Information