Thread: BTA or Toadstool? Which will he pick?

Apprentice
    Thanks

BTA or Toadstool? Which will he pick?

Added 2 Perc clowns to my 90g yesterday. They like to hang out in the lower front corner. The BTA's were at the top, and the Toadstool is on the other side. This morning the smaller clown was in the toadstool, checking it out as a home. The toad does not want them, closes up everything the clown comes near it. So, I moved the BTA's down to the corner & now the small clown is showing some interest.

SPS Reefer / TR Admin lReef lKeeper's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    i am guessing they will go for the anemone.
    lReef lKeeper (Bobby) Admin and Reefer

Water ...
    Custom 4x2x1 60 gallon, 40B sump

Equipment ...
    6x54w HO T5 fixture, 300+g rated Frankenskimmer, ATO, 3 Media Reactors (1 p04, 1 N03, 1 Carbon)

www.lmas.org

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Crispy Reef Monkey **MOD** Phurst's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Be my thought too, especialy if the toadstool keeps closing up. Your RBTA may not stay there though.

Apprentice
    Thanks
    If they go for the BTA, I'll start moving it up higher. I already know it will be happier closer to the light & mid to top water column. Have had this one for a year & it has been footed to this rock for 10 months. I need to set it so they can have full light
    and a dark cave place to crawl back into when they poop or simply don't want a lot of light. I won't let them stay at the bottom for too long.

Apprentice
    Thanks
    Since coming home from work, the Toad has been open and the perc is hanging around the BTA. I'm pretty certain by tomorrow, he will have made up his mind. Putting the RBTA down to where they like to hang out was the cool thing to do. I'll slowing move the BTA's up higher & the clowns should follow!

Apprentice
    Thanks
    The BTA ate the Perc. On the 30th, it appeared that the perc was going to host the BTAs. He was all snuggled between them, at the base, when I went to bed. In the morning, the offspring BTA was closed up in a manner I have not ever seen either do before & caused me some concern. The small perc was missing as well. Did a quick look around the tank, and had to leave for work. When I got home, the anemone was in beautiful condition & the clown still missing. Both clowns were doing well in the tank, eating, no sign of stress or disease. The BTA's were also well fed! I've tested the water everyday, just in case it died in the rocks, no ammonia spike, water is looking good. If it died during the night, it is possible the lobster pulled it back in the rocks, but still I would expect a change in the water parameters. At first, I didn't connect the BTA eating it, but the more I picture how it looked, the more certain I am it ate the clown.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I am not sure that a perc dying in a 90 would make an ammonia spike. I had a chromis die in my 54 gallon tank while I was unable to walk and my son couldn't find him. About 3 days later he showed up mostly chewed up but there was never any change in parameters. At that time my tank was only 4 months old.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thread Information