Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Coral Naming Myths - Podcast Episode 37

Thanks
    Yeah...it's called Eric Borneman's "Aquarium Corals: Selection, Husbandry, and Natural History" It is a MUST have for your library....if you ask me

Dave
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. >((((º>

"Fins to the left...Fins to the Right, I'm going home to play with my reef tonight..."

If you're looking for me, and I'm MIA from the board, email me at JustDavidP (at) gmail (dot) com.

Experience in aquaria, 37 years. Experience in marine, 22+ years. Experience in Reef Keeping, 8 years. Always a newbie!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JustDavidP
    Yeah...it's called Eric Borneman's "Aquarium Corals: Selection, Husbandry, and Natural History" It is a MUST have for your library....if you ask me

Dave
    lol.. i second that... GRRRRRREEEAT book...
    Show people you appreciate there advice, click the icon under there name and give them Reputation points

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    Are there any resources out there that list Maximum, Minimum, and Ideal parameters for a given animal?

For instance something like:

Acropora Ficticia: Needs between 50 and 250 lumens with 200 lumens as the ideal. 5 to 15 tank volumes of flow per hour with 12 volumes per hour as ideal. etc.

Yes and no. Eric's book is by far the best coral book out there IMO. This book will not tell you, for instance, that Acropora ficticia needs conditions such as you've listed. The reason for this is that such a recommendation isn't possible for most corals. First, even if we did know the species we were dealing with in captivty (we don't >95% of the time) most species are so adaptable that designations such as this wouldn't be useful in most situations. Not only that, we don't have the slightest idea of what the fundamental tolerances are for most species of coral, not to mention all the regional variants of all the species.

Let me give an example: you might find Pocillopora damicornis growing in an intertidal position on a reef crest. The brightest light it recieves is 2000 umol/m2/s. The average amount of water flow it gets in this position is 20 cm/s, but at times is up to 1 m/s. You drop down the reef 30 m and find the same species, though a very different growth form. The brightest light this coral gets is 80 umol/m2/s. The average water flow is 10 cm/s with a max of 15 cm/s. There is no obvious differenc in health between either.

If in captivity we suggest that the acceptable range for lighting is 80-2000 umol/m2/s and water flow is 10 cm/s-1 m/s things are not going to go well because we haven't fully taken into account the other caveats that are important for the survival of these corals. The coral in shallow water is actually photoinhibited for half the day and does the lion's share of photosynthesis in early morning and late evening. It doesn't bleach because of the strong water flow--othewise it might. The coral in deep water is able to do well due to the high availability of food (since light isn't very highly available). Without enough food at lower light levels it starves.

You see, for most corals we just can't give particular ranges like this for various parameters because, even if we had established these ranges, other caveats which we don't necessarily consider are critical for these species. So, in my experience, it is better to get as best an idea as possible of a highly acceptable environment and to watch the corals.

For instance, there's no reason any coral at all (including Acropora) shouldn't do just fine under PCs, yet people often have better success under halides. Perhaps the problem is that we aren't feeding these corals enough. Under halides we get a bigger margin of error (due to the photosynthate provided by the zoox.) but in lower light they are forced to be more reliant on food. In nature this isn't a problem, but in captivity it is.

So, perhaps I'm rambling at this point. My suggestion would be to get as familiar as possible (Eric's book is the best one out there for this IMO) with a relatively optimal environment for each coral you're interested in and to observe them carefully in captivity. Keep corals together that 1. thrive in the same environments in nature and 2. are relatively likely to coexist peacefully.

Chris

Thanks
    Grreaaaat information Chris!! Thanks so much!
    I also have the EB book.

Thanks
    OMG.. Chris.. amazing post. I love when folks have both the understanding, and the talent to put such information in 'lay terms' for boneheads like me

D

"Fins to the left...Fins to the Right, I'm going home to play with my reef tonight..."

If you're looking for me, and I'm MIA from the board, email me at JustDavidP (at) gmail (dot) com.

Experience in aquaria, 37 years. Experience in marine, 22+ years. Experience in Reef Keeping, 8 years. Always a newbie!

Thanks
    yes, Chris.. great explanation.. thanks..
    Show people you appreciate there advice, click the icon under there name and give them Reputation points

Thanks
    Awesome explanation Chris, thanks.

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    No problem guys. As I was writing it I thought I rambled too much and wasn't sure I was making a coherent argument...but hey, if you guys understood it...

Thanks
    Boy if that's the case, ramble on!!!

Thanks
    Chris,

I for one, enjoyed your show and your other work/writing. You think, speak and write a lot like I do. So, selfishly, you are a very "easy" resource for me to use. Plus, after listening to your show, you say "absolutely" as often as I do You sure you are not my brother?

In any case, I appreciate your support of our site, your affiliation with the magazine and all you do for the hobbyist. Keep up the great work brother!

Dave

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JustDavidP
    Plus, after listening to your show, you say "absolutely" as often as I do
    is it as much as i say "GREAT"???

lmao...

Thanks
    That's what makes the world go 'round... that's why I'm a "sociologist" at heart. People, in general, are awesome. All the 'particulars' are what make y'all special.

D

Thanks
    Rob - as long as your "uh...great" doesn't sound like Bill Lumbergh's (Office Space), we'll continue to love you! :-)
    Christi

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Reefbaby
    Rob - as long as your "uh...great" doesn't sound like Bill Lumbergh's (Office Space), we'll continue to love you! :-)
    lmao...
    "uhhmm o..k... great..."
    damn.. only if i could attach it as an audio file...lol

Thanks
    lmao- great movie!! "accounts payable, Nina speaking...*pause* just a moment* ha ha lmfao!!

the flair thing too- ha ha... or him saying "i never liked paying bills, I don't think I'll do that either" ha ha

what an awesome movie!!

Thanks
    I want my SWINGLINE STAPLER!

Thanks
    ha ha ha!!
    I'm ready to start playing the movie on my laptop, BUT the city manager is here--- what do I care? I quit anyways! ha

Thanks
    exactly...

Thanks
    Gwen...just don't burn the place down!

Kevin...umm...if you could just go ahead and...move your desk down to the storage room....that'd be great....yeah...
    Christi

Thanks
    lmao...

you guys are umm... grreat.. yeah...

Thanks
    Did you get the MEMO?

Thanks

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Reefbaby
    Gwen...just don't burn the place down!

Kevin...umm...if you could just go ahead and...move your desk down to the storage room....that'd be great....yeah...
    ha ha Christi & Kevin!!

Dang, I just love that movie!!

*whisper under my breath* i better burn the building down

Thanks
    I'm with Jimm, that would be a great resource! I was wondering if Chris or anyone else could give us a list of some of the resources they are using to help them meet the needs of their coral.
    - Eddy

"Corals require an aquarium, seawater at the right temperature and salinity, waterf flow, light, food, bicarbonate/buffer, and calcium. Period. No other equipment, apparatus, magic potions, pills, voodoo, prayer, or other sacrafices are necessary." -Eric Borneman

Curious Reefer
    Thanks

Great to hear this topic again

First of all, TR is a great site! I have recently discovered it, and am excited to hear such rich content in podcast form.

Chris,

Thank you for writing your article on Coral "myth". It is incredibly important that aquarist's grasp these differences in what corals can survive on versus what they can thrive on. Furthermore, I believe the more hobbyist's understand the subtle nuances of each genus, the more the reefing community as a whole will begin to open their eyes to what an amazing opportunity aquariums provide for individuals to look further into such fields of study as Biospherics.

great interview, great site,

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hi Matthew Welcome to TR.
    Ray or Raymond
    There is no elevator to success in marine tanks. You have to take the stairs.

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information