Thread: Second yellow tang death in two weeks

Thanks

Second yellow tang death in two weeks

Okay, i am now running out of ideas. Here's the low down:

100 gallon tank
    75 gallon sump
    DSB in the sump
    Complete cycle, tank has been up and running for 5 months.

Parameters:
    pH = 8.4
    Nitrite, ammonia = 0
    Nitrate = 0
    Salinity = 35 ppt
    KH = 10
    Temp = 81.4

I go out and purchase two baby ocelleris clowns and a yellow tang (these are the first fish in the tank). Drip acclimated for 1.5 hours. Tang dies the next morning. The clowns are fine (tank bred).

So, i go back to the LFS. They do a necropsy on the tang and say it died of a bacterial infection. They double checked my water parameters and said they were "excellent."

Waited a few more days till the weekend and got another yellow tang. Same acclimation. It hid for several days but eventually started to come out.

Today i was sitting and watching the tank and noticed the tang looked like it was starving. Its stomach is deflated and i can see its ribs. It did not look like this when i bought it. This is now day 4. I hoped online and did some research and from what i gather, tangs can go on a hunger strike for a while. Okay...

But, now i checked again several hours later and it is on its side gasping for "air." What the hell?

The tank has a huge bush of the red algae (Ogo) and i put in some nori a couple of times. The clowns nipped at the nori and are still doing just fine.

One note however, i did not use a QT. Might this be the problem or should i start checking something else?
    Samuel

"If they but knew it, almost all men in their degree, some time or other, cherish very nearly the same feelings towards the ocean with me.... There is magic in it. Let the most absent-minded men be plunged in his deepest reveries--stand that man on his legs, set his feet a-going, and he will infallibly lead you to water, if water there be in all that region."

Herman Melville, Moby Dick, Ch. 1.

http://religiousspiritualism.wordpress.com

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I don't think that not QTing is why you are loosing tangs. But it could be detrimental to your clowns. Did the 2nd tang ever eat for you or at the LFS?
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    Did they happen to scrape the skin of the first tang? Since they said it was a bacterial infection then i am assuming they have a microscope? Tang are one of those fish that can get stressed very easily. Not saying this is it but you might want to think about how the tang was reacting when they caught it and how it acted in the bag in the store. At the LFS i work at we use a container to catch tangs so they are never out of water and its less stress.

Here are a few more questions.

How are they catching the tangs from there tank?

How long did they have the tangs and where did they get them from?

I have been trying to remember but what else is in your tank?

What was the LFS feed the tangs?

I think thats it for now lol

I don't think QTing would make a big difference, however if they do have a infection of some sort i would be leary of sticking them directly into the DT

Save a coral, Trade a frag.
    Stop The World, I Want Off

Thanks
    Carmie: No the tang did not eat for me at the LFS. As i was typing the post, i realized i never asked them to feed the fish. It was at the store for a good two weeks though and doing fine.

Wes, yes the store does have a microscope. This is one of the reasons i like them; they are quite detailed when it comes to nailing down the cause of death. It is a CSI LFS

How are they catching the tangs from there tank?
    with a net.

How long did they have the tangs and where did they get them from?
    They are wild caught from Hawaii. They QT all new livestock for two weeks before putting them out for sale and these tangs were in the store for at least another two or three weeks after that.

I have been trying to remember but what else is in your tank?
    Not much really. The two little clowns, 8 scarlet hermits, various algae (ogo, bryopsis, some bits of caulepera), random hitchhiker snails, and a Oxynoe.

What was the LFS feed the tangs?
    That i don't know. I am going to call the store today and check.
    Samuel

"If they but knew it, almost all men in their degree, some time or other, cherish very nearly the same feelings towards the ocean with me.... There is magic in it. Let the most absent-minded men be plunged in his deepest reveries--stand that man on his legs, set his feet a-going, and he will infallibly lead you to water, if water there be in all that region."

Thanks
    For the most part we feed nori and seaweed sheets. We also threw in some of that formula 2 vegie stuff, Cant remember the name but ill find out for ya tonight and wee have seen them go after brine.

Thanks
    So i called the LFS and they are baffled too. They said they had the tang for at least 4 weeks, first in QT then up for sale. It was eating Formula 2, mysis, and nori in the store and doing quite well. They also mentioned it doesn't make any sense that it would have starved to death in 4 days, since most fish can fast for up to 2 weeks.

They offered me another one but i think i am going to hold off until i can figure out what is up.
    Samuel

Thanks
    Actually, i do have a thought. Are microbubbles harmful to fish?
    Samuel

Thanks
    I've had bad luck with some species,and good luck with others.
    Sometimes there really is no rhyme or reason,when all things check out,and the fish still "check's out".
    I have 4 LFS's within driving distance,a luxury I use to my advantage when it comes to that important moment of purchase.
    I might suggest a Kole Tang instead,way more personality than a Yellow,IMO.
    Ocean Nutrition Formula Two with garlic,is that it Wes?
    Larry

The solution to pollution is dilution.

Thanks
    Yea it is, I just got off work and signed on we feed it 2 different types, with garlic and without. Mostly with though

Thanks
    Ahhh Italian fish... Do you think they like white wine with their garlic?
    Samuel

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Astrivian View Post
    Ahhh Italian fish... Do you think they like white wine with their garlic?
    IDK but my Italian husband gets a big kick out of the fact that I put garlic in my fishes food.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    Perhaps the established bioload in the tank was not adequate to process the additional ammonia from three new fish at one. Try waiting a few weeks, and buying one from an individual that is a long term captive and doing well. When I get new Tangs, I feed Spirluna Flakes. NEVER had one pass on those! Best of luck!

How did their lateral lines look?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Astrivian View Post
    Actually, i do have a thought. Are microbubbles harmful to fish?
    Although air accumulation could be a problem for some plumbing setups, microbubbles themselves are not harmful to anything as far as livestock are concerned.

I've heard myths that they can kill sponges, but I've never seen any concrete proof (plus I've had quite a few bits of purple and blue decorative sponges take up residence inside skimmers in the last couple years). I've certainly never seen any footage of a natural reef without surges of microbubbles all over the place.
    Lucas "Doctor" Thompson

Apprentice
    Thanks
    Your water tests ok, but how does it test in comparison to the LFS water? Is the Salinity lower? The bacterial infection tang#1 died from could be a strain that takes several weeks to completely die off in the tank?

On the garlic, my fish & corals get it all the time! Use Garlic Extreme soaked in the mysis/cyclops/brine they get 2x daily. Wards off all kinds of evils & my fish appear to like it!

Thanks
    Good point Saltyreef. The salinities are the same though, 35 ppt, at the store and at my place. I think it was stress though, although i can't really prove it.

I do use garlic extract. Yes, the clowns love it. It must be like blood-in-water; the clowns seem to be able to smell even a small amount in the water and they know it is feeding time!
    Samuel

Thread Information