Thread: Newbie - Cost of Reef Ready 48-55 Gal Setup

Curious Reefer
    Thanks

Newbie - Cost of Reef Ready 48-55 Gal Setup

Hello,

We have decided to start a Reef aquarium (soft corals, inverts, fish) as our Christmas present this year. What general price range should we expect to pay for a complete setup (St. Louis, MO area)? One local marine specialty shop can set us up with a nice used 48 Gallon system for under $2,000 complete except for live rock. But another shop quoted me a similar price for a new 55 gal. setup. Unfortunately, they didn't have one in stock so I couldn't get a good idea if it included the everything on the first shop's list. I had also been told that a new 55 gallon reef ready would run around $5,000. So far, the aquariums I have found on internet sites do not have enough pictures or descriptions to tell if they are truly reef-ready and what is all included.

Thanks,
    Stephen

Thanks
    well first of all "reef Ready" usually rrefers to an acrylic tank that has built in overflow(s) to drain into a sump and such. these type of tanks, while better for reef tanks are usually more expensive. they are by no menas required (mine is not "reef Ready"). the average cost of a reef tank is about $35-$45 per gallon. now that said, you can usually find safe corners to cut. if you are "handy" you can built your own stand and hood. that saves lots of money. you can use play sand instead of all live sand. you can use base rock along with some LR. it will all become live in time.. pay close attention to lights and your type of filtration.

for lights. do LOTS of research. this will probably one the larges investments you make. make sure you dont have to do it again. get a light setup that will suit your needs going tinto the future. dont make the mistake of "this will do for now" unless you are totally prepared to re-spend all that money on a new light setup. now if you build your own hood, you can save money by gettitng a retro kit, instead of a full light hood. (www.aquatraders.com has some good stuff cheap).

for the filtration, make sure you understand how a marine tank filtration works. depending on how you stock your tank, you can get away with low cost. basically cause a properly setup tank only needs lots of LR, LS, lots of current and a good protien skimmer... (for the most part).
    you dont neccesarily have to invest in large canister or wet/dry systems (infact those are usually not a good idea for reef tanks)
    Show people you appreciate there advice, click the icon under there name and give them Reputation points

Thanks
    I just calculated how much me & my wife spent on our 30gal bowfront plexi tank & we are pushing in the range of $1000. Of course not all items were bought at the same time. Livestock & Corals were added in different times. Also it does not help that I live in the Bay Area, CA. It seems it's just more expensive here.
    -John

Thanks
    yes, and that $35-$45 estimate, does not include live stock.

if i had to guess on my investments, i would say soemwhere around $5000-$7000 over the last few years, but again, that includes live stock.

initial setup costs are lower, and i do keep soem expesive fish, and soem rare corals, so those raise the bill a bit too..
    Show people you appreciate there advice, click the icon under there name and give them Reputation points

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    Rob and John, thanks for the replies. I did notice a mistake in my original post, the used tank from the first shop is 58 gal. so $2,000 doesn't seem too bad even if the tank is used.

I am not sure I completely understand the filter issues yet. The used setup uses a sump filter system, but the new setup would have a hang-on-back EcoSystems (tm) filter with the same type of compartments as the sump system. The used system will have a protein skimmer, but this was not included in the new system cost. We plan to have lots of LR, LS and coral, inverts, and a few fish. Is one of these setups better than the other? Or do we not need either of these, but just a good protein skimmer?

Thanks

Thanks
    Here is a link to the costs of my tank- a 72 gal bow- this will give you a good idea of things you will need to buy- kinda like a shopping list!! lol
    Although some of those things I bought are not always needed- you learn as you go!

http://thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59860

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gwen_o_lyn
    Here is a link to the costs of my tank- a 72 gal bow- this will give you a good idea of things you will need to buy- kinda like a shopping list!! lol
    Although some of those things I bought are not always needed- you learn as you go!

http://thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59860
    This is some great info.. thanks so much for posting.

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    gwen_o_lyn, thanks for the list. I can't believe you kept track of all that!

Thanks
    i know, that was great. by the tiem i thought of keeping track of costs, i was already close to a grand into.. wish i would have thought of it.. i also had no idea how far i would be going

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob

This is some great info.. thanks so much for posting.
    no problem! I can think of at least $300 of more stuff that's not even on there!! I don't think my first skimmer was on that list, and that cost $150.

If I ever upgrade my tank, I'll be much smarter about it. Joining a reef club and learning about the lfs has really helped!

-gwen

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    I would check out craigslist and some of the other forums out there. thereeftank.com has a good classified section. I probably saved hundreds of dollars by dealing with other local reefers. I picked up my metal halide, 400w, for only $75.00. I also found some LR for only two bucks a pound locally from a fellow reefer. I saw a complete 55 gallon setup sell for $350 on the forums before. HTH

Thanks
    great suggestions... local forums, or boards are a great place to get good deals on hardware, and livestock..

i have saved hundreds on livestock from other reefers.

Thanks

Re: Newbie - Cost of Reef Ready 48-55 Gal Setup

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    Hello,

We have decided to start a Reef aquarium (soft corals, inverts, fish) as our Christmas present this year. What general price range should we expect to pay for a complete setup (St. Louis, MO area)? One local marine specialty shop can set us up with a nice used 48 Gallon system for under $2,000 complete except for live rock. But another shop quoted me a similar price for a new 55 gal. setup. Unfortunately, they didn't have one in stock so I couldn't get a good idea if it included the everything on the first shop's list. I had also been told that a new 55 gallon reef ready would run around $5,000. So far, the aquariums I have found on internet sites do not have enough pictures or descriptions to tell if they are truly reef-ready and what is all included.

Thanks,
    Stephen
    Hi Stephen,
    If I may, what I would suggest is first take the time to figure out what type of marine tank you want. Will it be reef with hard or soft corals, maybe just fish with live rock, etc. The reason i suggest doing this is cause you really do customize the tank system to the type of animals you keep. Lighting and filtration are the two most important thing that I can think of right now and if you do this it will you keep costs down because you won't have to upgrade cause you got the right stuff in the first place.
    Happy Reefing
    Visit my site!!
    www.mmota.homestead.com

Thanks
    mopecula, all great advice...
    proper planning is the key to being successful.

Thanks
    Hey Rob, did they move Michigan to the other side of the International Date Line? It is still Saturday in Maine and the posts are dated Sunday, Dec 4.

Thanks
    check your settings in your profile...
    there is a setting there to show your time zone and stuff.

for me the time posts are all showing accuratley

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob
    mopecula, all great advice...
    proper planning is the key to being successful.
    Hi Rob, can you guess how I know that one? Yep I too made some mistakes in the begining.
    Take care
    Visit my site!!
    www.mmota.homestead.com

Thanks
    yes, i think too many of us have...
    its tuff, sometimes peopel need to learn for them self, and sometiems peopel take the advice of those who learned the hardway...

i for one was stuck learnign the hardway, so i am not trying to make it easier for others...

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I think the advice about picking up used equipment is a good one, especially if you are patient. I found a 54 gal corner tank, stand, lights (12" Coralife PC and a 24" 2x20 w strip light -but I may upgrade them), pumps, powerheads, skimmer, sump heater, electronic thermostat and chiller for $200. Check local boards or do an eBay advanced search and use the show results within ____ miles of ______.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CarmieJo
    I think the advice about picking up used equipment is a good one, especially if you are patient. I found a 54 gal corner tank, stand, lights (12" Coralife PC and a 24" 2x20 w strip light -but I may upgrade them), pumps, powerheads, skimmer, sump heater, electronic thermostat and chiller for $200. Check local boards or do an eBay advanced search and use the show results within ____ miles of ______.

WOW that is a great deal. People are always selling stuff at very reasonable prices.

Thread Information