Thread: ID my flower garden!

Apprentice
    Thanks

ID my flower garden!

Could someone ID the little flower corals for me

SPS Reefer / TR Admin lReef lKeeper's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    look like clove polyps to me. cant really tell from the pic, but guessing ... i would say green and pink clove polyps. nice !!
    lReef lKeeper (Bobby) Admin and Reefer

Water ...
    Custom 4x2x1 60 gallon, 40B sump

Equipment ...
    6x54w HO T5 fixture, 300+g rated Frankenskimmer, ATO, 3 Media Reactors (1 p04, 1 N03, 1 Carbon)

www.lmas.org

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Crispy Reef Monkey **MOD** Phurst's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Could also be Anthelia, which I like, but can grow very quicky to the point of being a problem. like xenia or GSP. A closer pic would tell for sure. They DO seem to look more like clove polyps though. Very pretty, I've been looking for some localy.

Thanks
    I dont think they are anthelia. Anthelias have a longer arm. In which case i love anthelias. Mine don't grow like weeds but they do make money or get me frags

Here is a picture of mine

They look like either cloves or Clavularia sp. here is the best picture of mine. These also make me money lol This was the first little peaces of this coral i received about 6 months ago. I have probably fragged 7-8 soft ball size mats since

Save a coral, Trade a frag.
    Stop The World, I Want Off

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Nice pix Wes.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Nice pics indeed. My anthelia doesn't look at all like yours. It's a lot more feathery, like this:

I didn't realize people would buy frags of it. Someone gave me a little and it's growing like mad. I have a chunk set aside for my nano right now in fact.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Looking again, I think clove polyps are the right call.

Thanks
    Oh yea, I would say a mat on a rock about 3-5 inches across gets me anywhere from 15-25 dollars. Not bad for just letting them grow in your tank

Save a coral, Trade a frag.
    Stop The World, I Want Off

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Phurst View Post
    Could also be Anthelia, which I like, but can grow very quicky to the point of being a problem. like xenia or GSP. A closer pic would tell for sure. They DO seem to look more like clove polyps though. Very pretty, I've been looking for some localy.
    i have a lot (probably 200-300 polyps) if you want to do some more trading !!

Water ...

Equipment ...
    6x54w HO T5 fixture, 300+g rated Frankenskimmer, ATO, 3 Media Reactors (1 p04, 1 N03, 1 Carbon)

www.lmas.org

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Are yours clavularia or anthelia or somthing else? Been looking for the clavularia with the green tentacles.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    sorry buddy, mine is anthelia. i can get green clavularia fairly often, so i will keep my eyes peeled for ya.

Water ...

Equipment ...

www.lmas.org

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Cool, let me know if you come across some

Apprentice
    Thanks
    Thank you everyone! They were a birthday present from my daughter a few months ago.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    nice Bday present. they are actually kind of hard to come by for most people.

Water ...

Equipment ...

www.lmas.org

Apprentice
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lReef lKeeper View Post
    nice Bday present. they are actually kind of hard to come by for most people.
    Then you will be more surprised to learn that she paid $5 for a little rock with 3 polyps on it. Made her promise she wouldn't spend more than that at the LFS. Yeah, it is possible, lol. Its a saltwater only store & they have a "everything $5" tank. Mostly tiny frags, baby mushrooms, broken and/or half dead corals, etc. Just starting in the hobby, it was a perfect way to start my 30g. 90% of the corals in my tank came from that $5 bin! The xenia, cabbage, clove polyps, all the mushrooms, and those nasty green zoo's (my clam is almost surrounded by them, as well as the cloves.) When I bought them, thought they would be all tiny & cute...they got big & overwhelming! This was the 30g four months ago:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    you know that tank is WAAAAY to small for that hippo tang right ??

can i suggest that you move the fungia to the subtrate ?? they really prefer to be on the sand.

other than that the tank looks great !! keep up the good work.

Water ...

Equipment ...

www.lmas.org

Apprentice
    Thanks
    you know that tank is WAAAAY to small for that hippo tang right ??

can i suggest that you move the fungia to the subtrate ?? they really prefer to be on the sand.

other than that the tank looks great !! keep up the good work.

oooh, I knew I should have qualified the tang! The Tang, was smaller than a dime, thin as paper, and laying in the corner of a 10g tank at the LFS. It broke my heart and my 30g was way better than where it was. When it got too big for the 30g, I was going to put an ad in the classified paper I work for: FREE to good home, (75 gallons or Larger) Blue Hippo Tang! However, when the time came (now) I just couldn't part with it and bought a 90 gallon so it will soon be living in this:

http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/me...eef-diary.html

The Hippo is fat, happy, and very healthy. It has an awesome interaction going with the Tomato clown (food and/or friendship) & has never ventured far from where the clown/bta hang out. Sleeps under the rock the BTA is on. Every once in a while the Tang & Coral Beauty will play "tag" and thats the only time it ever "swims around" the tank. I have a strong power head facing from the left so there is a strong current for the tang to swim in. He's actually grown into that current. However, in the last 2 weeks, he's been swimming in the opposite direction, towards the 90g!

The toadstool (fungia?) is closed up because its mad at me! Cleaned the front glass to take the picture & I don't do that often! I've had it for 9 months, and it has grown 4 times its original size, formed a second stalk & the head is splitting. I did a post on it in the "show me" section. It's been a very cool thing to watch!

Tend to let the front glass go because my Lawnmower likes to graze it. It is kept coraline free! The tank is beautiful when the glass is clean, but the joy, for me, is watching my Lawnmower. I see "Blenny kisses" not algae!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by saltyreef View Post

The toadstool (fungia?) is closed up because its mad at me! Cleaned the front glass to take the picture & I don't do that often! I've had it for 9 months, and it has grown 4 times its original size, formed a second stalk & the head is splitting. I did a post on it in the "show me" section. It's been a very cool thing to watch!
    minimum tank size for a hippo tang is 100 gallons in the books, but 90 should be ok IF you go kind of light on the LR.

ok, now that the tang is out of the way ... the fungia is the plate coral laying on the rock under the toadstool. they can actually move around and if not watched ... will end up face down in the sand (and die), if/when it moves from the rock. i am in NO WAY trying to tell you how to set up your tank or offend you ... just trying to help.

Water ...

Equipment ...

www.lmas.org

Apprentice
    Thanks
    minimum tank size for a hippo tang is 100 gallons in the books, but 90 should be ok IF you go kind of light on the LR.

ok, now that the tang is out of the way ... the fungia is the plate coral laying on the rock under the toadstool. they can actually move around and if not watched ... will end up face down in the sand (and die), if/when it moves from the rock. i am in NO WAY trying to tell you how to set up your tank or offend you ... just trying to help.
    You have not offended me at all & I appreciate any and all advice.

That is plate coral? I had no idea. The toad was attached to it when I bought it & never paid much attention to it. I am not really sure this is alive or ever has been?
    They move? My tank never ceases to amaze me!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I had a fungia like that that was attached to a rock by a stalk. I thought it was some kind of mushroom. I had move that rock several times but when we moved my tank it broke off of the stalk. It is now on the sand and I am waiting to see if the stalk sprouts a new head.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    Ah I see you moved it
    I Bali the fungia are all around in the sand to about 25 ft.
    They lie on top of each-other and it looks like an orgy or something.
    Nusa Dua was loaded with them.
    This is between the beach and the reef!

Thread Information