Thread: Star problem!

Apprentice
    Thanks

Star problem!

Ok, i got a common red star (sorry for those that only understand scientific names). He is ok..in a way. His body is fine and he is movin around often. But he is getting a bit of grey coloring on him in spots and the tips of his arms split. I am changed the water twice a day with fresh sea water. Is he like doing some type of regeneration thing or what? what do i do? if no one answers by tomorrow morning i am just gonna release him. Hopefully it's natural or something.

what do i do?

And i really hope no one is low enough to post something about me being terrible for keeping a starfish and not knowing what to do in the situation or something. Only helpful posts please, i've seen enough flaming crap from people.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I got a great deal of flaming crap for my feather star...I mean it was very healpful and i am sure because of people's blasting me it will prevent anyone from ever buying another feather star. MAH!BAH!HA! sry for ranting on your post lol

Apprentice
    Thanks
    Well nevermind everyone i'm just gonna let him go before we had to the last island. I figure if something is wrong with him he will be able to get back to full health in the wild easier then in a tank.

Thanks
    :O Where did you get him originally? In the wild?

Stars don't react to "new systems" or those with high nitrates etc. My serpent stars were the "tell all" of my water quality. When they get sluggish, or show lesions of any type, it typically means my parameters are off.

If you didn't get this star in the wild, you really shouldn't release it in the wild. Better to keep it and work with it, or euthanize it properly. If you got it from the wild, you really should QT it and learn about it before putting it into your system. What if it were infected with bacterium or a parasite, causing the lesion? You may now have introduced that to your tank.

Ah well... best of luck though.

Dave
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. >((((º>

"Fins to the left...Fins to the Right, I'm going home to play with my reef tonight..."

If you're looking for me, and I'm MIA from the board, email me at JustDavidP (at) gmail (dot) com.

Experience in aquaria, 37 years. Experience in marine, 22+ years. Experience in Reef Keeping, 8 years. Always a newbie!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I think that he is currently in FL and was going to do some (legal) collection. So I am guessing that this is wild caught. It is probably in a temporary tank that he is changing out with fresh NSW 2x a day.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thread Information