Thread: DIY Tank Drilling Advice

Thanks

Smile DIY Tank Drilling Advice

I'm about to tear down my system and start a new one. This is the 24 gal AquaPod. It is all acrylic. The overflows will run into my 55 gallon tank that will be the fuge/sump and a Mag 5 or 7 will pump the water through a SCWD back in through the sides of the tank. I need to purchase the bulkheads and fittings to make it work and I have no idea what kind of bulkhead fittlings to buy. There are a bunch of different kinds and sizes out there. How do you choose?

Thanks
    Flow rate.... but....

Honestly, I've had far too many problems with bulkheads less than 1" in diameter. You wouldn't believe how easy it is to get plugged up! In my 26 Bowfront, I have one 1" bulkhead with a modified strainer system providing the overflow. It works just fine. For what it's worth, I have a Mag7 Return but have it torqued down with a ball valve because it is a seahorse tank.

Dave

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. >((((º>

"Fins to the left...Fins to the Right, I'm going home to play with my reef tonight..."

If you're looking for me, and I'm MIA from the board, email me at JustDavidP (at) gmail (dot) com.

Experience in aquaria, 37 years. Experience in marine, 22+ years. Experience in Reef Keeping, 8 years. Always a newbie!

Thanks
    Dave, I'm just going to guess you have a AGA bowfront? and you drilled the glass yourself? I like the look...sure beats an overflow box.
    Tank setup 8-5-05
    26 gal bowfront

click sig to see my tank and 'tankcam'

Thanks
    I'm just wondering what size fits the 3/4 inch PVC that I'm using the best. But I guess that's what adapters are for, right?

Thanks
    It is an AGA 26G bow. I did dremel it myself. Not drilled. It's a one inch bulkhead and plumbing job.

Adapters are a good thing, but matching your plumbing is the best. Honestly, I've never worked with a bulkhead or plumbing less than 1 inch. I'm just too scared of snails and other obstacles blocking the plumbing. I've not had a problem with the 1 inch jobs.

D
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. >((((º>

"Fins to the left...Fins to the Right, I'm going home to play with my reef tonight..."

If you're looking for me, and I'm MIA from the board, email me at JustDavidP (at) gmail (dot) com.

Experience in aquaria, 37 years. Experience in marine, 22+ years. Experience in Reef Keeping, 8 years. Always a newbie!

Thanks
    I went with a bulkhead that goes with a 3/4" pipe for the overflow side. It requires a 1.5" hole and I don't think I can get much bigger than that behind the overflow divider. It'll be behind the overflow and have a screen on it in a Durso configuration so I'm not too worried about snails plugging it up. 1/2 inch with loc-line so I can direct the flow on the return side.

Thread Information