Thread: Carmie's Cube

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Cant believe you still have this!

Vquilibrium Productions

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Yep, it is just cooking along. No fish, just corals and the DIBS Nassarius snails that I am trying to get producing in significant numbers.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Well, its not critical, you have other tanks still going correct.

Ive given away almost everything I had. So speaking of nano's, mine was bought for a song by this weird lady that wanted it to breed freshwater shrimp. She kinda smelled funny, so I think she was 'that old cat lady' you always here about!
    But yes, gone is the play toys.

Still get newbies trying to do the logical thing a start out on nano's?

Vquilibrium Productions

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Yeah... I have a 90 and it's a little too twitchy, Going Nano out of the gate is EPICLY irresponsible... Imagine everything that will be sacrificed on the road to quitting the hobby early in a horrific rage! I just wish more of them would listen to Carmie instead of arguing with her... but It is a little funny to read their later posts ...when exactly what she said was going to happen, did.

Thanks
    Mike, I have to agree and disagree. A newbie with a nano is a recipe for disaster. Believe me..I know. I started my 10 gallon January 2009 with only the info the LFS gave me. They had me cycle my tank with a yellowtail and a blue devil damsel. I was doing everything wrong. After a few weeks I found this site and people like Carmie,Amp,Bobby,Pearson and a bunch of others stepped in to point me in the right direction. It can be done. I've seen my params go way out of wack in as little as one day. But if you are willing to commit to the responsability it is possible. My nano is a part time job in itself and after 2+ years I'm proud of my little piece of reef. Forgive me me for sounding so defensive but I think more people would get into the hobby if they knew they could do it without having to put a but-load of money into the initial setup. It's the lack of knowledge,patients and religious maintaining required that kills their critters.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Technically, Salty, You can't get defensive in response to my statement. Before I ever joined this forum, I was a "Lurker", and I have poured through the annals here (and at those "Other" forums) for a long time. You never argued with these guys, you asked good questions, you requested teachers, not instant answers. You don't fit into the category I was nuking, BUT you are right, I was a little harsh, I can point my finger at a few outside sources for my loss of composure, but realistically, that was My Bad. When I first became a member here, I already knew that you had come by your experience honestly and I have really appreciated all of the help you have given me. Carmie and Amph have been extremely influential in the evolution of the gorgeous reef that sits not 2 feet away from me right now... but I owe You, Rob, Bobby, Manny and yes, even V quite a bit of credit too. I also have to give Buddy a shout out, even though he's been MIA for a while. I hope every thing's going well for him.

Thanks
    I was a little harsh there myself. I've noticed that there are 2 kinds of newbie nano reefers.The ones who ask "I want to start a nano and dont know what to do" and the ones who ask "I started a nano and bought this,this,this and this and now things don't look right". 90% fall into the second category. And I'll be honest..I fell into the second. My point would be..if more newbies would join a forum and learn a bit before diving in head first on the advise of the LFS there would be a lot more successful nanos out there.

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Geeze you guys a soft, thats no way to start an argument..lol

Yeah, its a shame, but LFS are a major drivin force just as much as the ill experienced aspects on new comers. I guess thats what made this place great, people could fit comfortably in ether ends of spectrum and mingle flame free.......Well, besides me at least, my suits kangaroo retardant as well as flame proof.

Vquilibrium Productions

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    LOL! So I'm guessing you have some hellacious belly armor!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by V View Post
    Geeze you guys a soft, thats no way to start an argument..lol

Yeah, its a shame, but LFS are a major drivin force just as much as the ill experienced aspects on new comers. I guess thats what made this place great, people could fit comfortably in ether ends of spectrum and mingle flame free.......Well, besides me at least, my suits kangaroo retardant as well as flame proof.
    LOL! Down there you gotta watch out for the camels and wallabies too, right?
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    LOL...Now you need to get a suit that repells sea sickness and tuna juice...lol

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    Nanos are a black hole in your wallet and a general nightmare for a beginner but being one of those newbies I understand the logic behind buying one. "lemme buy a nano cause its smaller and easy to care for" Oh boy what a nightmare but if you can pull it off its very rewarding. that being said bigger is better!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Yes, nanos are NOT good beginner tanks. In fact, mine looks terrible right now. Tons of hair algae. But my snails and bristle worms are happy. LOL
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Thanks
    No I didnt read all that crap.....and yes Carmie will fix you...lol.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information