Thread: Do I need more flow?

Thanks

Do I need more flow?

Hello. I have a 53 gallon tank (31.5" x 19" x 19". Right now, I have about 15X flow. I have a Eheim 1260 return pump (635gph with max head delivery of 12'1"). Does the max head delivery mean that I'll get the 635gph if I'm within 12'1" for return plumbing? I probably have 3 feet in return plumbing.
    The return in the tank, is in the right back corner, facing the front left corner. I also have 1 MaxiJet 1200 (295gph) in the back left corner facing the front right corner. I'm not looking into adding much sps...mainly lps and softies. Do I need to increase my flow? What is a good amount for corals, but not so much that the fish have a hard time dealing with it? Seems the sand in the back of my tank behind the rock, and the front left hand corner of my tank, have a lot of detritus building up, but the right hand side of the tank, the sand is nice and clean (the side where the MJ1200 is facing). I'm guessing I need more flow.

I was looking at the Tunze Nanostream 6025 (660gph) or the
    Hydro Koralia 1 or 2 (400 or 600gph). Which would be the better choice?

Also....If I add a powerhead and put it in the opposite back corner from where I have my MJ now, where should I point the return that is in the back right hand corner now? Should I point it straight across the back of the tank behind the rock?

Thanks!
    Pam

Thanks
    The 635g is a maximum if it was not pumping anywhere. With 3 ft that is somewhat reduced. The max head means beyond that it will not be able to push any significant volume.

I had a 6025 in a 37g and it was great there. Although it is now in my 90 and doesn't seem like so much flow. And it is a little louder than the larger 6060 pump but not bad. Not sure how the niose compares to the hydors though.

More flow will definitely help keep the detrius in suspension till it is consumed or skimmed. someone else said its not too much flow until it disrupts your sandbed or blows something over.

SPS Reefer / TR Admin lReef lKeeper's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    i would go with the Hydor, probably a couple of 2's in your tank. you may have to play around with them to get the flow pattern that you want, but it will be worth it. i have 2 Hydor 4's in my 125 and they are rocking, AND QUIET !! you can barely hear them.
    lReef lKeeper (Bobby) Admin and Reefer

Water ...
    Custom 4x2x1 60 gallon, 40B sump

Equipment ...
    6x54w HO T5 fixture, 300+g rated Frankenskimmer, ATO, 3 Media Reactors (1 p04, 1 N03, 1 Carbon)

www.lmas.org

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    They key factor in your post that screamed YES to me was the fact that detritus is building up on the substrate. This needs to remain suspended in the water column so it can be skimmed out. What are you planning on keeping in the system?

SPS Reefer / TR Admin lReef lKeeper's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    exactly HOW is the tank setup ?? is it RR ?? if so how many overflow boxes and what size holes ?? all the good stuff. pics of the system would also help. FTS, would be great.
    lReef lKeeper (Bobby) Admin and Reefer

Water ...
    Custom 4x2x1 60 gallon, 40B sump

Equipment ...
    6x54w HO T5 fixture, 300+g rated Frankenskimmer, ATO, 3 Media Reactors (1 p04, 1 N03, 1 Carbon)

www.lmas.org

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Thread Information