Thread: Nova Extreme T-5

Curious Reefer
    Thanks

Nova Extreme T-5

I am new to this forum, but I have a 29 gal tank and have only one Nova extreme light system on this. This only has 48 watt of light. I would like to know if there is a retrofit kit to add more bulbs, or would I be better off just putting a second light bar on it to double the light. Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hi KY, I don't know much about retro kits but I did want to say to TR.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    I recently got a 24" nova extreme and its great. with the price of these units they may be cheaper than a retrofit. If two would fit over your tank I would consider doing that. That might be enough light for you. But it depends on what you are keeping too. Fill us in on the occupant plan and tank depth. I think standard 29 is 18" but if you have a DSB that could be significantly shallower.

Curious Reefer
    Thanks

Tank info

The tank is 18 inches deep. The items in the tank are 30lbs of live rock. Numerous Hermit crabs and snails. I also have a skunk cleaner shrimp and a maroon clown. I would like to add some more fish soon to give some more color and movement so any suggestions would be appreciated there. I also have a skilter as my filter and skimmer. I would like the increased light to start to put some corals in the tank to add color and an anename (sorry if mispelled) for the clown. Thanks guys, I am so glad that I found this forum.

SPS Reefer / TR Admin lReef lKeeper's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    OH NO !! did you say skilter ?? lol ... you can do a simple mod if you dont have the cash right now to upgrade the skilter. connect a wooden "air stone" to an air pump, and run it under the "skimmer" section of the filter and up INTO the tube (where the bubbles are suppose to be), and plug in the air pump. this will add A LOT of skimming power to that filter. just a small air pump will do the job.

as for adding corals ... how long has the tank been up and running ??

you will be better off to wait a little while before adding an anemone. they prefer a more mature system and are easier to care for with a mature system. with the lighting that you are describing, i would only recommend soft and LPS corals. MAYBE a very select few SPS's, but they will have to be some of the more hardy and less light demanding corals. MAYBE a Monti. Cap or digitata.
    lReef lKeeper (Bobby) Admin and Reefer

Water ...
    Custom 4x2x1 60 gallon, 40B sump

Equipment ...
    6x54w HO T5 fixture, 300+g rated Frankenskimmer, ATO, 3 Media Reactors (1 p04, 1 N03, 1 Carbon)

www.lmas.org

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Curious Reefer
    Thanks

Tank info

The tank has been set up for almost 3 years so no problems with maturity. I will definitely take your advice on the skilter. Thanks.

Thread Information