Thread: Question about high end vs low end light fixtures

Thanks

Question about high end vs low end light fixtures

Hello. I'm trying to decide between two light fixtures. One is the Elos Planet II (150MH, 4 24W T5's, Icecap Reflectors, Built in Fan. I think it sells for over $1k .

I'm also looking at the new ATI Powermodule T5 24K. I think I read that it was going to sell for around $380 when it comes out. Problem is....this light isn't out yet, and it could still be a while for the 24". Been waiting to set up my tank for 2 months.

I can't do a retro-fit because I have a open top tank (Elos) and won't have a canopy, so want a light that's as nice looking as the tank. The tank is 31.5" wide, so I can't use a standard light with legs.

Can someone tell me what makes a light like the Elos (and I know there are many others in this high price range) cost so much more than a light like the Powermodule? Is it worth the extra money?

Any other light that might be in the $300-$500 range, that looks as nice as the Elos and the Powermodule? I really don't think I need the MH, because I'm not looking to get into SPS. Mainly Soft and LPS corals. Of course if I have the MH, I will never be limited on what I can put in the tank.

The link for the Elos Planet is:

Elos The Aquarium Company - Aqua Planet II

Description:

The PLANET II heralds a quantum leap forward in aquarium illumination and domestic harmony.
    Based on ELOS’s aquaristic pedigree, the new PLANET ][ was conceived to successfully combine the innovative LIAS* (Light Amplification System) with the emerging lifestyle and design requirements.

Superior Efficiency in an elegant, small cabinet was at the heart of the PLANET ][ concept and has commanded every step of its development, from the manufacturing phase to the final specification. Build into a precision injection moulded enclosure, using novel materials and a patented design technique (RIM*), PLANET ][ enjoy a host of unique features ranging from HF-HDC Digital Electronic Ballast to Light Amplification System. This sophisticated technology is clad in a timeless and elegant structure, designed to complement any discerning domestic environment.

HIGHLIGHTS:

high efficiency/low consumption
    LIAS Light Amplification System: haigh ratio performances/size
    extended light duration / longer lamp service
    uses both metal halide and T5 fluorescent lamps
    injection moulded, multi-powder-coated enclosure
    SCO high-performance mirror-coated reflectors
    flicker-free Electronic, High Frequency, Low-Loss ballast
    symmetrical light distribution
    splash guard, UV glass filter
    multilayer, class A powder coating
    steel-wire fixture suspension system
    low weight, high strenght,high resistance material,
    low energy consuming production process.
    high gloss finish

Thanks!
    Pam

Crispy Reef Monkey **MOD** Phurst's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    It can be any number of things. Higher end systems tend to use higher quality reflectors, electronic ballasts, better quality materials for the enclosure, better build quality, better longevity and generaly look better.

Cheaper lights tend to use cheap reflectors, magnetic ballasts, and lower quality materials. Most are mass produced in China by people who have likely never seen a reef tank.

Lighting is one department where the old axiom "you get what you pay for" is true.

This comming from the guy with the Odyssea lights

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I don't know if it would fit on your tank but for $1K you could have a 24" Solaris. http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/li...on-system.html
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    But is a $1k light overkill for a 53g tank that I plan on putting soft and LPS corals in or is that what you should expect to pay for a high quality light? I just really don't know? I've heard people rave about the Powermodule too, which is going to be in the ballpark of $380 I believe for the 24". Is that definitely lower quality that what I'm looking at ? (Elos Planet MH/T5 combo)?

Thanks! Carmie...I'll check out that Solaris.

Bye
    Pam

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I'm saving up for a Solaris for my 54 corner tank.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    well for starters one of those fixtures is T5 and the other is a full MH/T5 setup.
    so thats like comparing apples and oranges.. they are not the same.

that said, your right, if you have no future plans for high light corals, then stay with the cheaper T5/PC typwe setups. just keep in mind, many of often upgrade becuase we want more. if you are sure you are not going to do this then cool, but if you think you might, then get the right lights now..

the point is lighting is one of the most expensive parts. the best plan is to do it right the first time. get a good fixture and avoid upgrading later if possible..

i dont have personal experience with either brand, but i will support Phurst, there can be MANY difference is one fixture to another.. you really do get what you pay for (when comparing like fixtures)
    Show people you appreciate there advice, click the icon under there name and give them Reputation points

Thread Information