Thread: tds readings

Thanks

tds readings

Ok so I've had the aquasafe system running for close to a month now and the aquatec 6800 booster pump has been on it for 2 weeks. I don't know what is going on but I can't seem to get the tds readings below 2.

When I first hooked it up the tds stayed at a steady 3 and since my water pressure was just a little low(42ish psi) I figured a booster pump would do the trick. Well since I've had the booster on for about 2 weeks it's only dropped to 2.
    I've even flushed the membrane several times with no change.

The tds readings of my well water are over 520.....so do you think the sedimentary filters are already getting clogged?

Another question....is there really a significant difference of using rodi in an aquarium with a tds reading of 2 as compared to using rodi water with a tds of 0?
    Megan

Thanks
    doubtful they are all ready clogged., and if so that would likely decrease your output more than increase your TDS.

i am surprised the TDS didn't drop to 0, but in we tend to accept anything under 10 as acceptable. so while its a bummer you didn't get "more" from your booster pump, you should be fine right where you are..

another thing is what kind of TDS meeter are you using? i found the handheld ones tend to give readings a few points higher than inline meters.
    Show people you appreciate there advice, click the icon under there name and give them Reputation points

Thanks
    What type of pressure are you pushing out of the pump?

Save a coral, Trade a frag.
    Stop The World, I Want Off

Thanks
    I'm using the handheld meter that I got from the same place that sells the aquasafe systems.

Ya know common sense would tell me that the pressure coming out of the pump should be the first thing to check lol. When I got the pump I pretty much just hooked it up and didn't really give a thought about what the psi was set to. I literally just found out how to adjust the pressure on it so when I get home this weekend i'll check the pressure and adjust accordingly.

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that's probably the problem. If it doesn't work I'm sure I'll be back!

Thanks you guys!
    Megan

Thanks
    Just another thought... Maybe your meter is bad. I am pretty sure that mine is.

I just hooked up my aquasafe system this weekend and tried the pressure meter. Right off my water line it said 89psi! Tried it again tonight and it says 85psi. I really don't think my water pressure is that high. It doesn't seem like it is out of the tap and that much pressure is getting way too close to the limits of standard residential plumbing.

I am going to check with them on this...

Thanks
    Residential standard around here is 80PSI. Its not uncommon for pressure to surge like that. Sometimes due to how old the pipes are, how many bends or just the city water distribution. My house right now measures anywhere from about 38-45, yes i do need a booster. but when i first started measuring my water pressure i went threw 3 different gauges and all 3 read the same so i have just came to except it.

Just my opinion

Save a coral, Trade a frag.
    Stop The World, I Want Off

Thanks
    Some other thoughts on your TDS... I do get 0 straight out of my RODI. But my water is only about 270. That 0 is measured in a clean glass or a new bucket that I rinsed out with RODI. I then put the water in a couple tanks that I wiped out pretty good. they also have pumps and heaters that I rinsed well. But in the tanks I have TDS of 2-4. Must just be some residue I missed in there. So make sure your container is clean.

Another thing that I noticed is that the DI canister that I received is much smaller than the one in the pictures. It might be half the diameter of the pictures. Maybe passing through a little extra DI would finish the job. (like a second canister?) I also know that I packed the DI beads pretty well in the canister. I really don't know anything about this but maybe some thoughts for you...

Wes, 80psi huh. that does seem high, but thats what it reads and my rodi does seem to work well. I also have a CPVC ball valve that has a very slow drip from the actual valve, not where i glued it. I'm going to have to replace it sometime, but it is very slow and seems to stop if it is in teh off position so im not in any rush.

Thanks
    Actually at first I thought my tds meter might not be working right but I checked the tds of some distilled water and it measured 0 so I think it's working fine.

The container I used to store the water in has been filled up and emptied out with rodi water probably at least 6 times and I keep a lid on it at all times. I've measured both the water coming out of the faucet(that came with the system) and the water in my container and they were both the same.

That's weird that your di canister is smaller than what is in the picture.....mine looks exactly the same size that is in the picture. Hmm....that's odd.
    Megan

Thanks
    mine looked the same size also...
    good idea testing the TDS..

any results on the PSI test?

again i wanted to state, a TDS of 2 is great.. so dont beat yourself up over that one.. i know we all want "perfection" but this is pretty close..
    Show people you appreciate there advice, click the icon under there name and give them Reputation points

Thanks
    lol i know i know.....2 is great, but I do think it's like what you said that everyone strives for perfection. It's really not a huge deal but I just want to see if someone else could maybe see something that i was or wasn't doing that i should........I know sometimes I forget to think about the obvious .

I'm going to check the pressure this weekend and adjust if needed.....and if that doesn't work then I'll just leave it be.
    Megan

Thanks
    This is mine and the one in the aquasafe pictures...
    Mine is about the size of the tase canister. The one they picture is larger than the RO canister. I'm getting TDS of zero it doesnt matter. Maybe I will have to replace the DI beads more often but it also doesn't take as much to fill it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    That's kind of weird......I ordered mine only about a month ago and it was like the one in the first picture.

I don't know that it makes a difference to you but you could email the guy and see why it's different from the one in the picture. hmm
    Megan

Grand Master Reefer Seahorsedreams's Avatar
    Thanks
    If you are pouring the water in a little container to test it with your handheld it could be picking up the added TDS from residue from the cup.
    Renee

Thanks
    mine is liek the first picture also..

Renee's point is very valid too, thats why inline TDS meters are more accurate (or realistic)..

Thanks
    One thought would be that if your making water with the container having the lid open possible airborn dust or other things are settling in the water while its making causing your reading to rise slightly. But I still think that a TDS reading of 2 is acceptable.

Thread Information