Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Amphibious' 135 gal Reef

Thanks
    You just can't say that last paragraph too many times- it's so true and needs to be stated over and over!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I totally agree, gwen_o_lyn, thanks.

There are products that people can buy to supposedly hurry the cycle along but, I have never found one that works better than LR and LS. Adding chemicals to hasten a natural process seldom results in a positive outcome in reefing. Usually you can't quantify the results, essentially waisting your money. The offering of a product on the market doesn't automaticly guarantee positive results. Unless, of course, your measuring the profits derived from the sale of such products. There's a lot of junk out there.

Dick
    Amphibious

Good Luck comes to those who research and prepare.

Our Talking Reef Forum The Cultured Reef Forum
    My tank journal Amphibious' 135 mixed reef.
    The Cutured Reef toll free number - 888 745-0449

Amblyeleotris randalli commonly, Randall's Goby.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Here's another update.

Decided to buy some of my cleanup crew from a couple of LFSs whose owners are members of the local club. Gotta support good LFSs, don't forget them. Got 12 large Turbos, 6 Astria and 6 small Turbos (Tiny is a better discription.) 18 hermits, 2 Emerald crabs, a clump of 3 macro algae, Gracilaria, Chaeto and Codium. Then I spotted some Zoos I just had to have. My chiller came in and is operating great. Pictures below. First the parameters.

Temp = 79 F
    Salinity = 1.025
    PH = 8.5
    Ammonia = 0
    Nitrite = 0
    Nitrate = 0
    Calc = 380
    Alk = Hmm, have to get that test kit one of these days.

First picture is the chiller. A 1/4 hp Current Prime Tower. I liked it because of the small foot print. It seems like a good unit so far.

The chiller fit under the stand but would have forced me to re-plumb the pump. By turning the MH ballast 180 D, I could put the chiller in front of it and it worked out fine.

The next pic is a shot as the plumbing, filtration, skimmer, UV and chiller set up turned out.

It came out pretty clean. If I re-piped the pump I could have fit the chiller into the stand but I'm a huge advocate of doing it the easy way.

Next pic is the Large Turbo's and the fantastic job they do.

The area in the center was covered in algae just as heavy as the rest of the tank until I dropped the Turbos in that spot. They went to work as though they hadn't eaten in a week. What a contrast, eh?

The next pic is a rock with large polyps on that suffered in a bucket for nearly a month while the tank was being set up and cycling. It's amazing they survived.

These were given to me by a friend who asked me to play auctioneer at our club meeting. She was down sizing her tanks and sold off her 70 gal loaded with beautiful corals. She offered me anything I wanted but my system was in the plumbing stage and not ready for water. I took these because she said they were the toughest corals she'd ever seen. Apparently she put them through H*ll and they survived. Well I did the same and they came through.

Next two pics are the Zoos I couldn't resist yesterday.

Screaming yellow with light blue tenticales, about 36 polyps.

Beautiful blue with screaming yellow mouth. I love them both. I'll be offering them for sale when they spread.

Thanks for all your comments, I appreciate them very much.

Dick
    Amphibious

Thanks
    WOW!!! Dick, those new Zoo's look awesome!
    Tank setup 8-5-05
    26 gal bowfront

click sig to see my tank and 'tankcam'

Thanks
    Helllllooooo Dick!!! You're tank is looking fabulous! Glad to see your cycle is going so smoothly and that you've started out with your clean-up crew! Wow! A lot happened while I was gone.
    The zoos are beautiful! :-)
    Just curious - do you run a phosphate filter during your cycling period?

(be looking for an email soon...I've got some pictures for ya!) :-)
    Christi

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Christi

Welcome home, I missed you!

Thanks for the tank comments. The tank cycled in two weeks. Added the zoos at three weeks and now more turbos, A cool branching Daisy coral (Alviapora ?), Green mushrooms and ten limited edition corals from Steve Tyree of Reeffarmers.com. Cool frags but most are tiny. I'll post pics later.

My Granddaughter, Kehly (18 going on 25), from the state of Washington is staying with us for a week. Guess who gets ALL my attention. Don't get to see her often enough or long enough. She is a wonderful and interesting story in our life. Suffice it to say for now, she adopted me, a total stranger, as a grandfather figure eleven years ago. I'll have to share "The Rest of the Story" with you by e-mail. What a wonderful gift she has been to Sue and me. Here's a pic from an afternoon at the beach....just after a wave caught her off guard and slammed her into the surf.

Later in a more relaxed state.

Speaking of e-mail, I'm anxiously awaiting the pics from your vacation. Thanks in advance.
    Amphibious

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Reefbaby
    Just curious - do you run a phosphate filter during your cycling period?
    Forgot to answer your question. No, I've never run a phosphate filter.
    Amphibious

Thanks
    Dick,
    The tank looks awesome. and your "grand daughter" looks like she is having a blast at the FL beaches.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Kevin,

Thanks For the awesome comment.

Yes, Kehly and I had a ball at the ocean beachs. She's an awesome young women.
    Amphibious

Thanks
    hi dick
    names cheng.

been keeping up with your journal it's great. pictures are very informative. and i like the idea of the pvc risers inside the tank to raise the LR off the sandbed. i wanted to ask you about your plumbing.

i hear alot of folks say don't use pvc too much. and when you can use flex tubing inside when plumbing because it helps with flow better. at least with the return line. i love your plumbing though. it looks great and it seems the person that plumb that system knows what their doing and about plumbing.
    is flex vs pvc any better in flow (with less loss in gph) or is it very little to not too noticeable.

also i see the plumbing. i just don't get exactly what you did. and where everything goes. i would love to see a diagram or something to see where all the lines go. if that's not too much trouble. because the picture is a bit hard to see where things are going. other than that great tank.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hey cheng,

Thank you for the kind words.

It's true what they say about the difference between rigid PVC and flexible PVC. Each fitting increases the restriction on flow rate and you will lose some amount of flow. However, you can't use flex if you have to turn a 90 degree corner in a short distance. I am a retired pipefitter with forty + years experience plus I've piped hundreds of aquariums over the last 38 years I've been doing saltwater tanks. I've done the piping in several LFSs also.

I'll work up a schematic drawing of my system in the next few days and find a way to post it here.

Thanks again, Cheng.

Dick
    Amphibious

Thanks
    wow. haha so i can't hope to accomplish in my plumbing like you have. thanks for the bad news. haha jk. have you ever experienced both flex and pvc and tested the flow downfall. i know RC has a head loss calculator and it has inputs for elbow turns and such sorts. i wonder how much research went into that.

so i know who to come to when i plumb my system. you can do the check proofing.
    your truly an asset to the forums dick.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cheng21tang
    wow. haha so i can't hope to accomplish in my plumbing like you have. thanks for the bad news. haha jk........
    so i know who to come to when i plumb my system. you can do the check proofing.
    your truly an asset to the forums dick.
    Of course you can accomplish your plumbing system like mine. You just need to learn some of the skills of plumbing.

Thanks again, cheng.

Dick
    Amphibious

Thanks
    Dick, this is a great thread & that is great tank you got there!

ealier you mentioned puka shells for the promotion od pod populations.....they help w/ that?....where can those be found to buy?

ultimately, i want to keep a mandarin......so, any help in that area would be great

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Do Not Try This At Home!!! It's Against The Rules!!!

It's been awhile and a lot has happened in the tank. I've added some fish, corals, shrimp, nudibranchs, plants, more cleaners, live sand from friends in my former home town. The algae bloom is gone except for a couple of patches. Did a 30 gallon water change before going to the LFS to get fish I ordered. The tank parameters yesterday, before putting in the new fish were perfect.

Ammonia - 1.0 (Should be zero. I'll watch it closely.)
    Nitrite - 0.0
    Nitrate - 0.0 or 5.0 (Color difference is negligible to my eyes. Either is OK at this juncture.)
    PH - 8.45 (Monitored constantly by Pinpoint PH meter.)
    Calcium - 400ppm
    Alk - ?.? (I have a new alk test kit and the reading I got didn't make any sense to me what-so-ever. I'll retest later.)

What did I do that is against the rules and common sense? I put three different tangs together. An Achilles went in a week ago and yesterday, I bought a Powder Blue and a Sohal. The critics are going to say, "You can't do that!" or "There going to kill each other!" or something like that. So that's why I titled this post.......

"DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!!! IT'S AGAINST THE RULES!!!"

If your a newbie or of limited experience , do not try this, you will likely waste your money and kill a couple of really cool fish and that's not cool!!!

So why did I do it? For one I believe I can keep them together. My approach and attitude to reef keeping is to do what ever it takes. I'm dedicating most of the 135 to them along with the appropriate tank mates for a reef. And probably most importantly, I have nearly forty years of experience with marine tanks exclusively. That should speak volumes to those who believe in conventional wisdom. You can bend the rules if you have the knowledge of how to bend them without breaking them. Here's the first picture of the tank as it looked yesterday.

The Sohal and Powder Blue were side by side in cubicles at the store and after observing their behavior for about an hour I saw no sign of aggression from either one. I figured they would continue being buddies in the 135. I asked the store owner to feed them and she put in some live brine which was quickly eaten by the PB and ignored by the Sohal. The Sohal was pecking at the gravel for bits of whatever. I decided to get them for a several of reasons.

1. They were on my most wanted list for the 135.
    2. They were in perfect health. (I had to get them out of the LFS before they were doomed.)
    3. They were attempting to eat.
    4. All three were the same size, small.
    5. My wife lets me make the fishie decisions. :grin:

Here they are together......

They have their little squabbles from time to time. That's normal cultural behavior. So far the squabbles are all about pecking order. Establishing who's going to be boss. Their pretty well matched in size and temperament. I won't know for awhile if I'm going to be successful with this arrangement. That's why I don't want anyone going out and trying to replicate what I'm doing. Don't believe that if I can do it you can, too. That goes against conventional wisdom.

I have one more picture to share with you and then will end this post but, I have much more to share and will do so later. I don't want my posts to get too long that you get bored with it.

I'm sure many of you have read that some juvenile angel fish have tendencies to act as cleaners. The LFS I got the PB and Sohall from had the smallest French Angel I've ever seen. He is actually illegal to have in captivity and I brought this up to the owner. She said her local collector brought him in and she new he was too small but took him anyway. Well, I decided to "rescue" him, too. He's only about 5/8" total length. I don't approve of what went on but figured he had a better chance with me. Here's a pic of him "cleaning" the Achilles Tang.

This was yesterday and this morning the Achilles looks healthier in that it's body is nearly free of blemishes that were present before the French Angel was introduced.

I have much more for this thread and will post later.

Thanks for following my progress. My hope is that each of you pick up something good from reading this thread. Your comments are always welcome.

Thanks.

Dick
    Amphibious

Thanks
    Hello Dick!! Glad to hear you're back again!

The fish look beautiful. LOVE the achilles! The tank is looking nice as well!

Can you share some coral pictures with us?

By the way....I don't think any of us could ever possibly get bored with your threads and with the progress on your tank!! Keep posting!!! :-)
    Christi

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dreams
    Dick, this is a great thread & that is great tank you got there!

ealier you mentioned puka shells for the promotion od pod populations.....they help w/ that?....where can those be found to buy?

ultimately, i want to keep a mandarin......so, any help in that area would be great
    Thanks dreams! I use pukka shells (any small shell will do the same thing.) in the sump to create a pod sanctuary so they can just do there propagation thing with out being disturbed. There may not be a great benefit from doing this but I think there is some improvement in pod production and that's what is important. I also have clumps of gracilaria and other marine plants in the sump and pods love to crawl around in there. Lots of privacy for doing the breeding thing. Sometimes we put pod predators in our sump. This give them a chance to continue their production efforts.

I just attended IMAC in Chicago and had the pleasure of meeting Dr. Adelaide Rhodes of Seattle WA. We also had the opportunity to spend time together at O'Hare as both our flights were canceled and rescheduled at a later time. Besides being a professor, Adelaide owns Essential Live Feeds, Here's a link for anyone interested in a source of pods, http://www.essentiallivefeeds.com/ - Her talk on Pods was very informative. She's the expert and very willing to help with questions.

Thanks.

Dick
    Amphibious

Thanks
    wonderful tangs and french angel. i hope it works out. so about how big are the juvenile tangs? i'm guessing that their juveniles. cuz with juveniles you would have a better chance of all 3 coping together than introducing 3 adults. i love seeing juvenile tangs. they look exactly the same just nano-sized.
    learning more and more, day by day.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hey cheng,

I would call them sub-adults. Each is just under 4" with the Achilles being a bit smaller. Today, we're closing in on the first 24 hours, everything is cool between them with an occasional threat gesture but, nothing serious. They are going about the business of filling there gut with algae. They don't even pay much attention to each other when they pass. This doesn't mean I'm out of trouble, yet.

My attitude is, if I get them past the first month, I'm lucky. When I get to the sixth month with them alive, I have a good chance to get to my personal goal with all livestock, the one year point. If I get them to one year then they will, most likely, be with me several years.

Yeah, the French is really cute. He's busy cleaning again today. The PB even came over to him and let him look his body over.

Dick
    Amphibious

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphibious

I just attended IMAC in Chicago and had the pleasure of meeting Dr. Adelaide Rhodes of Seattle WA. We also had the opportunity to spend time together at O'Hare as both our flights were canceled and rescheduled at a later time. Besides being a professor, Adelaide owns Essential Live Feeds, Here's a link for anyone interested in a source of pods, http://www.essentiallivefeeds.com/ - Her talk on Pods was very informative. She's the expert and very willing to help with questions.

Thanks.

Dick
    Great link Dick.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    dick, thanks!...i had found that site while doing some reseach on pods....i plan on purchasing from them:-)

now that i think about it....when i had the cc, there would be tons of copepods on the glass right above the cc and you could see ampipods running around in it......also, my little clown would hang just above the cc looking for them

Thanks
    i'm envious....

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Christi

Can you share some coral pictures with us?
    I'm trying to get some decent pictures of the corals. Some frags are so tiny it's hard to make them look like living coral. I bought 8 and got 3 free frags owed me, from Reaf Farmers, Steve Tyree's business. Know that I'm working on pic size and croping them out of pics with multiple frags.

While I was working late last night, aquarium lights off, just the computer light lighting the tank, I saw the PB drifting about the tank. I just had to try to get a pic of him because his fins were totally erect. Here's what I got after many attempts at trying to get a focus on him in the dark.

I thought it turned out pretty good concidering I could'nt see much of him. I do enjoy my camera.

Dick.
    Amphibious

Thanks
    wow they look beautiful with their fins fully spread out. i tend to rarely see fish spread their fins out inside of an aquarium. do you think it's because they cannot swim at full speed and without restriction to go anywhere they want (invisible glass wall)? or maybe it's just me cuz i've seen only a handful off tanks besides LFS holding tanks.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Cheng,

This was shot at night in near total darkness. The PB was just drifting around. I think the fins are spread because he can't see where he's going and the erect fins act as a warning if he bumps into things above and below him. That's what I think, anyway.
    Amphibious

Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread Information