Page 22 of 34 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 ... LastLast

Thread: Amphibious' 135 gal Reef

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thats a butiful looking mandarine you got there.
    Ray or Raymond
    There is no elevator to success in marine tanks. You have to take the stairs.

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Whoa, Rayme, that's a nice large mouth bass you got there. About 6 lbs??? Also......

Quote Originally Posted by rayme
    Im learning at school and learning on Talkingreef so teacher when does school end.
    School never ends Rayme. As long as you are alive you must exercise your mind to stay young. I've been blessed with the desire to learn. It's more obsessive as I grow older because as I age I know the forward part of my life gets shorter. I don't like that but there's nothing anyone can do about it. So, I keep myself occupied studying about what interest me. I find the more I study, the more things I find to interest me. That means I have to keep studying. Sound boring? It's not!!!

My son gave me some advise that made sense. He sent me this T-shirt for Father's Day and I pass his wisdom on to all of you.

Amphibious

Good Luck comes to those who research and prepare.

Our Talking Reef Forum The Cultured Reef Forum
    My tank journal Amphibious' 135 mixed reef.
    The Cutured Reef toll free number - 888 745-0449

Amblyeleotris randalli commonly, Randall's Goby.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Oh, by the way. The Mandarin is doing great. Just hard to get a decent pic. Shy little devil. Here's what I could get tonight...

He always seems to carry sand on his head.

Dick
    Amphibious

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Whoa, Rayme, that's a nice large mouth bass you got there. About 6 lbs???
    You got it right actualy your a 1/2 pound short lol It is the biggest bass iv cotten so far my dad gets mad at me all the time when i show him the pic because he cant belive i caught a bass a pound and a 1/2 bigger than his heeheh.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rayme
    Im learning at school and learning on Talkingreef so teacher when does school end.

School never ends Rayme. As long as you are alive you must exercise your mind to stay young. I've been blessed with the desire to learn. It's more obsessive as I grow older because as I age I know the forward part of my life gets shorter. I don't like that but there's nothing anyone can do about it. So, I keep myself occupied studying about what interest me. I find the more I study, the more things I find to interest me. That means I have to keep studying. Sound boring? It's not!!!
    The reason I put the signature there is because I thouht it was funny I wake up and go to school and learn all day my favorite subject is biology/science i know same thing lol anyways then i come home and do my homework and go straight on to TR and lern some more so in a way school never ends but to tell you the truth I like the learning on TR the best.
    thanks for the great quote you gave me it meant alot to hear it from someone thats more educated and know alot.

Oh, by the way. The Mandarin is doing great. Just hard to get a decent pic. Shy little devil. Here's what I could get tonight...
    Great pic of the mandarine hes caring around the sand to work out got to work those fish mucsles LOL anyways thanks again dick
    Raymond Oh by the way the shirt fits LOL J/K
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

SPS Reefer / TR Admin lReef lKeeper's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply Dick, i am glad he is oing well and will live out his days with a knowledgeable keeper to keep him well fed and meeting his requirements.

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Looking good old chap!

arrr florida, beautiful one minute, lightning storms the next.

If its anything like a northern hemisphere Queensland i know & came to love those types of changes for the tropics.!

Vquilibrium Productions

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks V. Not bad for a 70 yr youngun.
    Amphibious

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Update and pics.

Just a few pics of various things in the 135.

This is my Tyree Limited Edition Neon Green Sarcophyton under the Solaris LED Lunar cycle. I thought that was a cool shot. I haven't played much with my camera (Nikon D70) in low light situations because I, quite frankly, didn't know how. I met a guy at MACNA using a Nikon D50 at the Beluga Whale exhibit and we compared shots. I was using flash and fighting flash bounce in every shot. He was not using flash and his pictures were much better than mine. In a second he tought me how to use the "Program" feature. It's like having a new toy.

I had a couple of corals bleach out and are now in recovery.

I think this one is a Blastomusa wellsi. Can't remember because it looked terrible for a long time. I removed it from bright light for months. Brought it out a couple of months ago because it's tissue was looking like it was in recovery and now color is coming back.

This is an interesting story and a good lesson can be learned from it. I bought this a few months ago and it came un-mounted. I intended to mount it but put it off. Unbeknown to me it got knocked off it's rock and I didn't miss it. One day a couple of weeks ago, I was doing some general cleaning up and was "feeling" behind the LR at the bottom of the tank and was bring out various small rocks to remove and one of them was this Aussie Acan. it's tissue was shrunken and stark white. I thought it was a goner for sure. It too is in recovery and doing quite well considering what it went through. The most interesting thing is the color coming back is totally different than when I bought it. It appears to be coming back bright neon green or even fluorescent yellow.

This is a top down shot. Had a little surface water movement so not the best pic. I'll be watching this one closely.

The Sohal is always getting in my face saying, feed me, feed me. He/she's now 7" long.

The update: PFO's new "Made in America" Solaris LED light model I5 is out. We've sold several and expect ours to be delivered on Monday Sept 15th. I'll re-post the FT picture from a post above with the I4 light and a new one with the I5 for comparison.

Anyone interested in the best deal on the Solaris follow this link - Solaris LED Pricing. PFO controls the pricing, we sell them at their lowest allowable price. Plus we pay the shipping. Check them out.

Dick
    Amphibious

Thanks
    The tank is wonderful - the rock work is awesome!!

I also love acrylic tanks. I have 120g and I take a lot of slack from LFS personnel about the acrylic.

Rhonda

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks Rhonda. I saw your Acrylic tank in your photo album. It's beautiful! Very nice job decorating, too. How long has the tank been up?

Many people talk Acrylic aquariums down but, don't you believe them. Not only are they more beautiful to look at, they are stronger, better insulators against temperature swings, Clearer than glass (except for the new Starphire glass), less expensive in larger sizes, easier to drill and safer around children. Yes, they scratch but, if educated in how to clean them, there will be little scratching. It's a mater of being careful. Plus, scratches in Acrylic can easily be removed with the proper scratch kit. The best kit I've found is here - Acrylic scratch kit. Glass scratches are forever.

I have used ONLY Acrylic aquariums since 1974, when I bought and installed my first one. And...

In case you haven't heard the vast majority of LFS employees, and many owners, are notoriously ill informed and under educated when it comes to aquarium care. It's about the biggest OXYMORONIC thing I've ever heard of.

By the way Rhonda, welcome to TR.

Dick
    Amphibious

Thanks
    Thanks Amphibious. It is still a work in progress.

I set it up Jan 5,08. It came with 200lbs of LR, sump, bio balls and about 100lbs of crushed coral and a few scratches. The LR did not have any coraline growth. I pulled two large LR out of another tank to help with seeding the new. I am slowly weeding out some of the LR to other tanks so I can arrange it the way I want it.
    The bio ball wents pretty quick and was replaced with LR and then the whole sump replace with a refugium.

The only real problems I have had is a HA outbreak in the last 2 months.
    Until a month ago I always bought pre-made saltwater and top off water from LFS. I switched to a closer store and the end result was HA.
    I now buy Glacier water, (7 stage filtration), and make the saltwater myself. It was a convience to buy all pre-made but not worth the risk.

I plan on working on the scratches over the winter when it is too cold for me to be outside.

Only real complaint is the stand is also acrylic which is very pretty but the only opening on the back is 3"X6". If front panel is kept on fully it causes great condensation and heat to build in the refuge.
    I am thinking that I will cut larger holes in the back for more air circulation..

Sorry for the long post.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hi saltaddict to TR.

Quote Originally Posted by Amphibious
    Many people talk Acrylic aquariums down but, don't you believe them. Not only are they more beautiful to look at, they are stronger, better insulators against temperature swings, Clearer than glass (except for the new Starphire glass), less expensive in larger sizes, easier to drill and safer around children
    Yah alot of people do I agree with you there on everything you said. The only real problem with Acrylic is they are so darn heavy to cary. Like mine is like lifting up 30 pound weaghts its crazy but I love it.
    Also the Tyree Limited Edition Neon Green Sarcophyton looks awsome do you mind me asking how much it was. Also the others looks great hope they get better for you. The tang looks butiful Its 7 inchs now that long and the colors coming off the fish is great. Thanks dick for the
    Raymond
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Thanks
    Dick,

That Tyree shot is awesome...definitely POTM material! Love that t-shirt too. One of my fav's is one I got from a promo in a graphic design mag that says "Act before you think."

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Rhonda, you don't ever have to apologize to me for a long post. I am the KING of long posts and I never apologize. I think few questions can be answered in short sound bites.

good luck with your effort to cut more holes in the stand. Have you ever drilled or cut Acrylic? What are your intensions as far as size and method of cutting?

Dick
    Amphibious

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rayme07 View Post
    Hi saltaddict to TR.

Yah alot of people do I agree with you there on everything you said. The only real problem with Acrylic is they are so darn heavy to cary. Like mine is like lifting up 30 pound weaghts its crazy but I love it.
    Also the Tyree Limited Edition Neon Green Sarcophyton looks awsome do you mind me asking how much it was. Also the others looks great hope they get better for you. The tang looks butiful Its 7 inchs now that long and the colors coming off the fish is great. Thanks dick for the
    Raymond
    Raymond,

I don't know where you got the idea that Acrylic is heavier than glass but, I have to set you straight. Acrylic is lighter than glass. That is one of the additional benefits.

Sorry man.

Dick
    Amphibious

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Ooops, I for got. The Tyree Sarcophyton was $60 for a thumb sized frag. I now have 5 med to large frags from that one. One of these days I'm going to sell off a couple.

Dick
    Amphibious

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    make sure you let us know when you decide to that thing is beautiful i know i would like to be in the waiting line for a frag

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Raymond,

I don't know where you got the idea that Acrylic is heavier than glass but, I have to set you straight. Acrylic is lighter than glass. That is one of the additional benefits.

Sorry man.
    Hum I must have a different type of glass or something. becasue I look at yours and It looks the same type as mine, Ill have to look at the brand and do some reserching thanks for pointing that out,lol

Ooops, I for got. The Tyree Sarcophyton was $60 for a thumb sized frag.
    That dont sound to bad for how butiful it looks. the good thing is your getting enjoyment out of it because I sure am thanks for the question response.
    Raymond
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Thanks
    Dick, how long did it take to go from that thumb frag to its present size?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hi Brian,

Here is a good picture of the mother colony and the first daughter frag.

The frag sent to me by Tyree was about 1/2 the size of this frag. Small frags the size of that one can be found on the Net for around $40. They are not common at that price but I've seen them. I've had this Sarcophyton for 2 years. It's been an interesting coral in that it frags itself. About every two months one of the scalloped edges will slowly tear off. The first daughter frag landed behind and next to it as shown. It was small and I didn't notice it until it was attached to the rock.

Here's one of the newer frags getting more light and probably food. It's growth has far out paced the original as has the others. I haven't accurately counted the frags but there is 6 or 7 that I've gotten mounted on rocks.

Dick
    Amphibious

Thanks
    Dick,

I have drilled acrylic but in a very controlled environment, (kneeling above - easy to control speed and such), but since this would be inside the stand I am a little hesitant. If I pull the fuge out I could easily sit inside.
    I took up carpentry several years ago out of boredom and have since built and rebuilt my entire house - BUT THIS IS DIFFERENT - IT IS FOR THE FISH.

Rhonda

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    That coral looks amazing glad its growing and producing sisters frags for you. Thanks for sharing
    Raymond
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by saltaddict View Post
    Dick,

I have drilled acrylic but in a very controlled environment, (kneeling above - easy to control speed and such), but since this would be inside the stand I am a little hesitant. If I pull the fuge out I could easily sit inside.
    I took up carpentry several years ago out of boredom and have since built and rebuilt my entire house - BUT THIS IS DIFFERENT - IT IS FOR THE FISH.

Rhonda
    OK, great. Here's what I would do if the tank were mine. I would remove the sump in order to get inside. I would get a 4" hole saw and drill several holes low and an equal number high. I would be looking to get some convectional flow of air. You could also add a couple of computer fans, a bottom one pushing air in and a top one exhausting air. I'd put them on opposing ends.

Dick
    Amphibious

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Here are a couple of new pics.

First, I was going to shoot the coral polyp extension and had focused on it when the Chromis swam up and stopped. I simply re-centered to include the Chromis and came up with this pic.

My new PFO Solaris I5 arrived today. I was very busy today but, HAD to get it on the tank. It's an easy install of course but, I had to get back outside. Here is a sneak preview of the light during the solar sundown event.

The lights have dimmed about 50% by the time I finished with my project. I will have more time tomorrow for pics and will post more of the Solaris I5.

Dick
    Amphibious

Thanks
    Thanks for the drilling info!! I will tackle that in the weekend to come since I have fixed the Leaky current in the tank.

GREAT TANK!!

Very nice.
    Rhonda

Page 22 of 34 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 ... LastLast

Thread Information