Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Amphibious' 135 gal Reef

Thanks
    Tank looks wonderful! Keep us updated as you fill it up with corals! Can't wait to see how it does.
    -Jon

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    gwen_o_lyn
    Thanks. Yes, the branching corals are Tonga. Nicest I've ever gotten.

JR Aquatics
    Thanks, will keep this thread going.

jeepjon
    Thanks. I appreciate the comments.

The light I chose to go with is from Aquactinics, LLC. Bulbs are 3 - 175W Coralvue 10K, Magnetic ballast, 4 T5 - 39W Blue+Actinic and two IceCap Variable speed fans. This is a great looking unit. I've made arraingements with Aquactinics to offer them on my website. Initial impression is very positive.

Dick
    Amphibious

Good Luck comes to those who research and prepare.

Our Talking Reef Forum The Cultured Reef Forum
    My tank journal Amphibious' 135 mixed reef.
    The Cutured Reef toll free number - 888 745-0449

Amblyeleotris randalli commonly, Randall's Goby.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Christi
    Is that tonga rock? the "antler-like" looking rock? love it!
    Yes, it's Tonga Show Branch, a grade above the standard. I've never been too impressed with the T branch before but, they convinced me I'd be happy with this branch. I'm quite impressed with it.

I also bought a box of Fiji Premium and a box of Fiji Pukani. I'm really pleased with the Pukani. I have a couple of really large pieces left over out side in the vat. I'll pull them out a take a picture and post here. Need to find a buyer for them. As I mentioned above, I mixed in some rocks I've collectedd over the years so, came out with extra LR of all three types.
    Amphibious

Thanks
    I have had some good luck with nice pieces of Tonga Branch. I also LOVE uaniva live rock. VERY VERY porous. A combination of Uaniva and Tonga Branch only required about 4 pounds to fill up my 10 gallon!

Good Live Rock is great when you find it!
    -Jon

Thanks
    Ampibious, great job. I'm in the process of setting up my base rock on the same 2 in pvc risers, it works great just need a little time get it set up right for balance. If I missed it sorry, but how deep is your sand bed in those photos?
    To be or not to be. -- Shakespeare
    To do is to be. -- Nietzsche
    To be is to do. -- Sartre
    Do be do be do. -- Sinatra

----------------------------------------

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Amphibious (aka Coach),
    I might be interested in that live rock. Let me know on the price. Also, How far would you say you are from the Sarasota area? Tank is looking great. I like your sump/fuge area. I was also thinking about going with some Walt Smith products when I do a fuge. Great job on the plumbing. That is one thing I have not come close to mastering yet.
    Jack

Thanks
    Dick, just wanted to chime in and say your setup is looking great! Love the info and instruction you are sharing...I'm leaning tons!
    Tank setup 8-5-05
    26 gal bowfront

click sig to see my tank and 'tankcam'

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    cabbagehead

On Walt Smith's Fiji Mud and Fiji Gold, I couldn't find anybody that used it so, don't have a clue about it's effectiveness in what they claim. Since I know Walt and trust him, I thought I'd give it a try. I'm handling his LR and thought if this stuff does what it claims they would be good products to offer, too.

Here's a picture of the LR I have left. I haven't priced rock in the LFSs in years haven't a clue what it sells for. This is primo LR and I've cycled in the tub behind the pic. It's been here one week today. I'm selling it first come first served for $4 a lb.

Fiji Premium, Tonga Show branch and Pukani in that order.

I did a Google map from Englewood to my home here's the link
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&saddr=5605+Johnston+Rd.+34951&daddr =Englewood,+FL

If you are still interested call my toll free number - 888 745-0449. I'll be home today, not tomorrow. Or make arraingments for another day.

Scott

Thanks, only right to share because others have taught me.

Dick
    Amphibious

Thanks
    That rock is absolutely amazing! WHen I setup another tank, I'll get it from there.

Thanks
    WOW!!! I hope that my tank looks half that good one day. thanks for all the info that you have been providing all of us. The PVC risers seem to be a great idea that I would have never thought of myself. thanks again

Steven L.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

It's Gotta Get Ugly Before It Get's Beautiful!!! Time for an update.

I'm going to show something most reefer's won't show you, the ugly side of a reef tank during the cycle.

We all love a beautiful reef tank and are willing to "show off" our's to anyone who expresses an interest. Why, not? We've paid the price and deserve a little praise, right? I want you to see that all new tanks go through an ugly stage. Here's the first pic....

Nothing has been cleaned except the skimmer. I'm using a Bermuda Aquatics skimmer and it's a "smokin" skimmer. You can see algae and diatom growth covers much of the sand bottom, walls and rockwork. I have added nothing in terms of livestock, not even a clean-up crew. Why??? It's too early! This tank has not cycled yet. Anything added before the cycling event is complete would likey die.

I have an order for clean-up animals on hold at Indo Pacific Sea Farms for shipment as soon as the cycle is complete. Here are the readings so far.

Ph - 8.32 day
    Ph - 8.00 night
    SG - 1.026
    3/24 all readings are in ppm.
    Ammonia - 8
    Nitrite - .5
    Nitrate - 0
    3/26
    Ammonia - 4
    Nitrite - 2.5
    Nitrate - .2
    3/29
    Ammonia - 1
    Nitrite - 10
    Nitrate - 1
    3/31
    Ammonia - .5
    Nitrite - 25
    Nitrate - 2.5

If you look closely to the readings you'll see the relationship between Ammonia and Nitrite are in direct opposition to each other during the cycle. Prior to putting LR in Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate readings should be 0.0 ppm. Then as the cycle begins Ammonia builds first and when it peaks Nitrite readings will be minimal but as Ammonia falls Nitrite rises until it peaks. When both have dropped to 0.0 ppm your tank has cycled and is ready for the first addition of animals.

Most newbies run out and buy fish (plural). That's the BIG mistake that newbies make. For their size and weight fish are the biggest polutors of a reef tank, any tank actually, all they do is convert good food to poop and that gets broken down to Ammonia and on and on down the cycle chain. If this is going to be a reef mixed fish tank and most are, then begin with a clean-up crew, then add corals, maybe a clam and other less poluting invertebrates. After the tank is well established, and only after, can you begin to selectively add a fish or two. Then wait, see how things go and begin adding more as you like. But, remember, everytime you add a critter, be it a fish, clam, coral, whatever, you are changing the dynamics of the tank. Nothing is more evident of this than adding a fish. Go slowly, observing every addition for changes in behavior of the other tank inhabitants. Be a good, responcible aquariologist and you will enjoy this hobby, as I have for 59 years.

Here's a pic of the addition of the UV sterilizer....

I opted for a Lifeguard 25 watt because it was on sale at Drs F & S and I've used this unit before. The UV is an important addition to any marine aquarium containing fish. Do yourself a favor use one!

Today I'm adding my LS so I might take pics later today.

Dick
    Amphibious

Thanks
    Hey Dick ---looking yucky, but good!! I love how you posted the NH4/NH3 values! That's great for people to see.

There was a thread going on a while back concerning the use of UV filters. It might have been before you graced us with your presence. :-) Anyway...I don't currently us an UV sterilizer and was under the impression that if you're trying to maintain a DSB and live rock and all the good bacteria that go along with it, then it doesn't make any sense to use UV, because you'll be killing all of those as well. What's your reasoning for using one?
    Christi

Thanks
    Christi, since most of that bacteria stays in the rocks or sand, its really not a bad thing, and doesnt get killed off by the UV.. some will im sure, but not enough to make it a bad thing..

the UV will kill stuff in the water column.

as someone who used a UV for over a year, i can say its worth it.
    i have min disconnected as i get ready to do some re-plumbing. but i will be putting it back in..

im sure Dick will be able to give you more specifics..
    Show people you appreciate there advice, click the icon under there name and give them Reputation points

Thanks
    You seem to know your stuff when it comes to tanks. Does anyone add addtional LS after the tank has cycled? It seems that if one adds all the LS during the cycle, that some types of inverts would die do to the toxic conditions. I have read that some LS contains inverts such as stars and worms. Would they die during the cycle or can they survie it? Would adding additional LS after the cycle create a new mini cycle? Same question goes with LR.

Thanks for your time

Steven

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hi Christi
    I don't currently us an UV sterilizer and was under the impression that if you're trying to maintain a DSB and live rock and all the good bacteria that go along with it, then it doesn't make any sense to use UV, because you'll be killing all of those as well. What's your reasoning for using one?
    Yes, I've heard that, too many times by people that don't understand the UV's function. So let's cover it now.

All bacteria, useful and not so useful that live in LR and DSBs will not be affected by the operation of a UV in the system. The UV will kill all bacteria that flows through a properly sized and functioning UV unit. It will have no effect on bacteria in other areas of the system, eg, LR LS, trickle filters, sumps and refugiums. UV also and more importantly kills free swimming stages of parasites by altering the genetic material in the organism’s nucleus weakening them and shortening their life, if not killing them outright. In any event, the use of a UV sterilizer will only benefit your system and have no negative effect what-so-ever. I've used them for more than thirty years on my systems and all the systems I've installed over those years with one exception.

The adult pygmy squid systems (3) have no UV sterilizer because everyday at dawn they expel the luminous bacteria into the water column. Then begin absorbing them again. The hatchery system (1) does have a UV to prevent the bacteria from accidently contaminating the hatchery because the students do their research on the new-born aquid and need then free of luminous bacteria.

If you want a disease free aquarium use a properly sized UV. You will not be disappointed.

Dick
    Amphibious

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    slebla240

to Talking Reef!

Thank you.

Does anyone add addtional LS after the tank has cycled? It seems that if one adds all the LS during the cycle, that some types of inverts would die do to the toxic conditions. I have read that some LS contains inverts such as stars and worms. Would they die during the cycle or can they survie it?
    Good questions. Here are my thoughts and exactly what I'm doing right after I post this.

I'm setting up a 135 that we're discussing here. Maybe you've read this far from the beginning. if you haven't go back and you'll have a better understanding of what I do when I set up a tank.

I use 4 to 5" DSB of aragonite sand, LR, a sump/refugium and plenty of circulation. I don't add LS until the cycle is well underway. My reasoning is the LS has been sitting somewhere and the life in it may be questionable. I got in 50 lbs of LS from a reputable dealer who collects his own. It's the first order I bought from him. The LS isn't as he represented it in terms of life besides bacteria. I expected worms, small stars, pods and other things because that's what he told me to expect. Because I wait till the toxic conditions are about over, I expected the live critters to survive, but there were none.

In the post above I mentioned a critter package I'll be getting once the cycle is completely over, Ammonia = 0, Nitrite = 0. I'm not quite there yet, but close.

Would adding additional LS after the cycle create a new mini cycle? Same question goes with LR.
    No and probably, in that order. Adding LS after the cycle is okay. If your talking a huge addition, I'd do it in stages a little at a time.

Adding LR is another story and again depends on several things. How much, one piece? Probably not a problem. A 50lb box? Different story. When ever you buy LR, even cured, there's going to be a die-off that will happen when you add it to your tank. There's too many variables to say one way or the other. My position and, it should be your position, too, is there will be a mini-cycle at least and possibly a major event that could kill off some of your livestock. Always error on the side of caution.

There are two sayings I like to quote. First, "A hasty reefer and his money are soon parted" and "The only thing that happens fast in a reef tank is disaster". I don't know who to attribute those to but, I use them all the time.

I hope this helped.

Now back to adding my LS into the 135 so I can post a pic later.

Dick
    Amphibious

Thanks
    thanks a ton for your responce. I have been reading alot so that I will not be that hasty reefer, but I think that me and my money will be parted anyway. I just hope that I have something good to show for it at the end. best of luck to you and the future of your tank. I will be keeping an eye on this post b/c I can tell that soon it will be a very impressive reef.

cheers
    Steven LeBanc

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks Steven, for the kind words. I appreciate them.
    Amphibious

Blog Entries
    Thanks

50 lbs of Live sand added today.

Okay, an update on progress. The cycle is in full swing mode at this time, here are the readings.

Ammonia NH3 = .25 50% of what it was earlier today, a good sign.
    Nitrite NO2 = 25+ This was off the chart which ended at 25ppm, expected.
    Nitrate NO3 = 5 The Nitrates will climb as the cycle completes and beyond until the DSB kicks in.

Adding the LS should kick the cycle in gear and finish it in a day or so. That is of course if I got good LS.

Here's a pick of what the 135 looks like tonight....

You can see the LS added today. It's a mixture of aragonite and coral sand with lots of coral, shell and other stone fragments.

Right side by the overflow. I like this end the best. Lots of nooks, cranies and caves.

The left end view shows I didn't lean the rock against the back. This allows large fish to swim unobstructed through the front and back of the tank. I think they settle in better with more swimming room. Just my humble opinion and experience.

That's it for tonight kids.

Dick
    Amphibious

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphibious
    I didn't lean the rock against the back. This allows large fish to swim unobstructed through the front and back of the tank. I think they settle in better with more swimming room. Just my humble opinion and experience.
    Dick i fully agree with tis, i did the same thing in my main tank, and i notice that all the fish seem to really like being able to get back there..
    Show people you appreciate there advice, click the icon under there name and give them Reputation points

Thanks
    Dick - I'm loving the pictures! Thanks, they're very helpful. We're so lucky to have you on this site! :-)

Okay...I've got it with the UV now...I'll look into getting one (I'll wait a few weeks to throw that one on Georg!)

Just curious...do you have a refugium as well? Georg and I just "ooh" and "aah" at your sump and the plumbing. It's so clean and organized and well-thought out!
    Christi

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Christi - Thanks Hon, I appreciate your appreciation.

Okay...I've got it with the UV now...I'll look into getting one (I'll wait a few weeks to throw that one on Georg!)
    Good. All beneficial, no negatives. If Georg puts up a fuss tell him, "Dick says to get one."

Just curious...do you have a refugium as well?
    My definition of a sump is, a container to catch water flowing from the tank to be pumped back to the tank, which increases the size of the total system, eg, a 100 gal tank with a 50 gal sump is effectively a 150 gal system. This allows us to keep a larger bio load in the tank because of the extra water in the sump even though the critters don't live in the sump. It also acts as a temporary "catch all" for things living that don't work out above.

My definition of a refugium is a sump with a DSB, or mud substrate. So the answer to your question, I think is, yes, I have a sump/refugium.

Georg and I just "ooh" and "aah" at your sump and the plumbing. It's so clean and organized and well-thought out!
    It really isn't hard to do. Draw it out on paper first figuring out how many outlets you need then add one or two more. I always find I need one more later, that way I have it. Increase the size of your pipe from the size of the discharge of your pump, eg, if the outlet of the pump is 1", make your header out of 1 1/2" or 2" even. This allows multiple take-offs to opperate at maximum flow. If you ran a 1" header off a 1" discharge, your take-offs wouldn't get the maximum flow possible.

Hope this helps.

Dick
    Amphibious

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Going to need a chiller, RATS!

Just another expense but, living here in FL is worth it. The temp in the tank is running 86 F during the day. That will never do. So ordering a chiller today because the cycle is nearing the end.

Ammonia = .25
    Nitrite = 2
    Nitrate = 10

Getting minimal algae growth compared to previous set-ups. Happy about that!

I'm going with this chiller because of it's smaller foot print - Tower Chiller

Does anyone have experience with this brand?

Dick
    Amphibious

Thanks
    Dick, as usual you are a wealth of info! Glad to understand the UV filter a bit better.

I'm still in awe over your live rock, the stuff just looks great!
    Tank setup 8-5-05
    26 gal bowfront

click sig to see my tank and 'tankcam'

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Angry I hate the waiting game!

Waiting, waiting, waiting! Arrggh! I hate waiting!

Successful reefers understand the need to conquer impatience and wait out the nitrogen cycle. My wait for that event is over. It only took two weeks to complete. That's pretty quick. Here are the readings as of this morning.

Ammonia = .25 - should be zero but it's been .25 for days, so, maybe quirk of this test kit. (Aquarium Pharmaceuticals) Or my perception of colors.

Nitrite = 0 - Again, could be 2, I don't know why with computer aided color matching, print colors and the sample never look the same.

Nitrate = 0 - Nitrate reading a few days ago was 2.5 and actually dropped or was it the tricky color matching thingie. I expected it to go up.

What this means is my tank is ready for a clean-up crew. Or is it? I'm ready to get some livestock in there. There's one thing holding me up. My temp is running 84 F this morning. It hit 88 F yesterday late afternoon. Can't risk putting anything alive in there right now.

My chiller is on the way, scheduled for delivery on Monday, 4/10. That means I'm still playing the waiting game. I have to remind myself, be patient, it will pay-off in the long run.

My point this morning is, exercise and strengthen your ability to wait. Timing is extremely important in adding things to your reef tank. I've said it before, I'll say it again - "The only thing that happens quickly in a reef tank is disaster". Here's another, "Great rewards await those who can wait for them to develop". It takes time for a reef tank to mature. It will happen at it's own pace. I cannot rush Mother Nature, even though I'd like to (gently?) push Her to the brink. Let Her do Her thing, it's truely magical, if you think about it.

Dick
    Amphibious

Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information