Thread: Questions on how I should set up a small refugium (built into Sump)

Thanks

Questions on how I should set up a small refugium (built into Sump)

Hey All. Counting down the days before I can fill up my first tank!
    Have everything I need except for the lights. As soon as I'm back from vacation on the 1st, the RO/DI is going into the tank! The wait is TORTURE!!

Below is a picture of my Sump. There are two compartments built into the front of the sump (about 1/2" to 1" at the bottom, is open between the two chambers). I know that these compartments can be used for media, or as a refugium. I'm not sure, but I think the divider between the two compartments may also be removable. What would you do with this setup? I don't plan on adding a refugium to the system...so I'd either use one or both of these compartments for a refugium, or have none. If using them as a refugium, would you use both sides, or just one and save the other side in case I need to use media of some type down the road? (or would I just add media into the filter sock?) I wouldn't mind having a spot to breed some type of mysid shrimps or pods to feed my fish. If I go that route....would I put some small scrap pieces of live rock at the bottom of one or both of these chambers, or live sand or what, and if so, how deep in inches? Would I want any macro algae in there as well, or just the live rock rubble and pods/shrimp? Below are a couple of fish I'll be adding down the road. With these fish in mind, what would be the best type of pods and / or shrimp to breed in a refugium for food?

Pair of Percula or Ocellaris Clowns
    Possum Wrasse
    Some other type of wrasse
    Some type of Goby
    Some type of Blenny

Thanks so much!! Pam
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    If it was me I would use the area for macro and perhaps some LR rubble. Macro will help with nutrient export and serve as a place for pods to live. LR rubble will give you a bit more bio-filtration and will also help bolster your pod production.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    Thanks. Any suggestion on what type of Macro? Would you put Macro in one chamber, and Live Rubble in the other, or a little of each in both chambers?

Pam

Quote Originally Posted by CarmieJo View Post
    If it was me I would use the area for macro and perhaps some LR rubble. Macro will help with nutrient export and serve as a place for pods to live. LR rubble will give you a bit more bio-filtration and will also help bolster your pod production.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Pam,

I realized that I neglected my manners and didn't say to TR.

I have caulerpa in one compartment in my sump and LR in another. Caulerpa grows fast, is good for nutrient export and some fish eat it. It must be pruned frequently. Sometimes the caluerpa escapes into the LR and then puts out hold fasts but in general the 2 stay separate.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    Thanks Carmie! I checked out your Tank Journal and your tank is looking awesome!! I originally wanted a 54g corner tank but ended up choosing the Elos. Great choice!
    Pam

Quote Originally Posted by CarmieJo View Post
    Pam,

I realized that I neglected my manners and didn't say to TR.

I have caulerpa in one compartment in my sump and LR in another. Caulerpa grows fast, is good for nutrient export and some fish eat it. It must be pruned frequently. Sometimes the caluerpa escapes into the LR and then puts out hold fasts but in general the 2 stay separate.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I really like the look of the curved glass even though it does limit what kinds of fish you can have.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Thread Information