Thread: Sally's new tank

Curious Reefer
    Thanks

Sally's new tank

The story all starts when I was 2 and a half. When my little brother was born my paretns gave me a fish tank to keep me occupied. I fell in love with fish. I have kept from ever since then and have studied them in school so much that I have a bachlors degree in vertebrate zoology and a geology masters degree where I studies fossil sharks.

For the most part I have kept fresh water tanks. I tried marine tanks when I was little but my family didn't have the money to do more than a 20 gallon with an undergravel filter. which at the time 25 years ago was high tech for a small tank. I have kept al sorts of fresh water fish from natives to tropical, to planted tanks to breeding soft water south american cichlids to hard water africans. 7 years ago they remodeled the petsmart near where I live. my brother worked there and was able to snag one of thier huge tanks when they remodeled. my mother looked at this tank and said to him that isn't coming in to my house. so I got it. the large tank on the system is 180 gallons and there were two top tanks on the system totalling 50 gallongs and a sump that holds up to 75 gallons. I moved last summer and the stand self destructed so when I rebuilt the system I kept the big tank and the sum. it is filled with lake malawi cichlids. I curently have tons of babies that have been bred in my tank swimming around the rock work. I have a 65 gallon tank as well that I have had for geez I have absoultly no idea now how long I have had it, got to be 15 years. In its current incarnation it has nicaraguan cichlids and some sanctoperca, with tetras and other small dither fish.

having the huge tank and the small "65" gallon tank I have been really happy for a long time. 6 months ago my mom lost her large albino channel cat fish in her 125 gallong tank (another of the tanks that followed my brother home from petsmart). When geoff worked at petsmart people would come in and say know any one who wants a tank $50, we got alot of tanks that way. In helping her figure out what to put in the tank and how to revamp it I have been able to vicariously been living through her. A couple weeks ago she dug the 80 gallon out of storage and set it up. I have been helpign her set it up. in this process I have gotten the work fish tank envy. My husband is not big on the fish tanks, especially since we have a 180 tank in the living room. I had to talk him in to letting me have a new tank.

So on monday I went to the pet store and purchased my first tank in years. it is a 44 gallon that I am going to turn in to a reef tank. It is 24X18X24. I have a deep sand bed and 40lbs of base rock and water in the tank. and everything is running. I am going to put a micron filter on it for a couple hours tonnight just to clear the water. I am going to let the tank run till this weekend and then add some live sand and some live rock. But I might wait on the live rock till the lights arive. I am puting 4 t5 bulbs on it and will add a 250watt metal halide light when I start to add corals. but I am not planning on adding the corals for 9-12 months. I am planning on adding 2-3 fish in about 3 months. My husband asked me why are you setting the tank up if you arn't going to put fish in it till june. It is so hard to be patient.

I will get some pictures up on my web page in the next couple days. http://homepage.mac.com/stripepike/
    you can also see pictures of my africans on there. I will probally also get some pictures of my nics up there too.

Sally

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    sweet, sally, now thats an introduction!
    firstly welcome to talking reef
    hope you enjoy your stay & mingle with the locals.

something to note though, you dont need to wait for your lights in order to add the live rock, besides abit of scale back of cal algae nothings dependant on the lights unless you have organisms already attached.

Vquilibrium Productions

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    so i get homoe tonnight and what is the first thing I see as I carry a 50lb box of base rock into the house, the blue labidochromis in my african tank were spawning. Granted breeding african cichlids is like breeding guppies it will happen even if they are remotely happy. but this is the 4th pair in 4 weeks to have eggs, and the clutches of the first two pairs are healthy babies swimming around the tank. They must be very happy. there are picture of both the babies and the adults spawing on my webpage
    http://homepage.mac.com/stripepike

In order to clear up the cloudyness in the reef tank I put a 50 micron filter on it. and with in two hours it was cleared up enough that I could see all the way through it so I retrieved the pouring bowl that I had left in there incase I was going to change some of the water to get the cloudyness out (the freshwater fish keeper in me, when the tank get cloudy change the water, but that doesn't involve having to mix up salt). I put the rest of the base rock in the tank after washing it. but I stired the sediment up way too much and the water is way too murky to artfully arange the base rock so right now it is in a heap on the bottom of the tank.

after looking at the live rock in the store today I almost brought some home with me but decided it was best to wait for the water to clear then add it to the tank. which maybe tommorrow since I am leaving the micron filter on over night

Sally
    Last edited by stripepike; 03-29-2007 at 10:54 PM. Reason: fixing typos

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Vquilibrium Productions

Thanks
    Nice pics. Welcome

/C

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    I went to the store today and bought 37 lbs of live rock. I had 60lbs of base rock in the tank already. I ended up taking about 10lbs of the base rock out. so in the end there is about 80-90 lbs of roock with a 4inch sand bed. As for the pumps the pump on the protien skimmer outs out 295 gph. then have a seio that puts out 620 gph, and then three maxijet power heads with 160 gph. the maxijets are going to be on timers to turn on and off so only one or two of them will be running at a time. that is going to turn the water over about 25 timer per hour. is that too much current? I have pretty much decided what fish I want to put in the tank but havn't decided yet what kinda of current I want on the tank. as it is a deeper tank it is going to have 4 2ft t5's and a 10k 250w 10K bulb on it. I am not going to put the metal halide on the tank untill I start putting corals in the tank. mostly because of the electric bill and there are already 5 4ft flourescents bulbs on the 180g on the other side of the room and was trying not to blind people sitting in my living room.

In my freshwater tanks I currently have and have had in the past I tend to biome tanks where all the fish are from the same part of the world. In my african cichlid tank all but two of the fish are from Lake Malawi and I mave two lake tanganikans cichlids in there. I know with freshwater tanks alot of the reason for not mixing hard water african cichlids with soft water south american cichlids is diffrent water chemistry. with marine fish indo-pacific fish have very similar water chemisty needs as those from the caribbeen. so how many of you out there do tanks that are particular to one part of the world or is it common to mix and match and not really pay attention to where this fish is from and that fish is from?

Sally

Thanks
    With corals there is almost never too much flow and yours isn't too much. I love African Chiclids and have had setups similar to the one you mentioned.

/C

Thanks
    Hi Sally. Welcome to Talking Reef.

Regarding flow - this is really dependent on the corals you plan on keeping. In general, SPS require more flow than LPS, which require more flow than soft corals. There are, of course, many exceptions to this rule! The amount of flow you have is a good start, IMO. More important is to make the flow random (which you are doing with timers) and to make sure that the corals do not get blasted with a strong direct output from you powerhead. Many corals tend to adapt to varrying conditions. I have a huge amount of plusing Xenia that has grown right into the direct output of a Seio 820. I was told that it would not survive. Not only is it surviving, but it's growing even faster.

I know that some people have tanks set up for fishes from specific regions, the most popular being fish from the Red Sea. This is actually not a bad idea, as the salinity of the red sea is a bit higher than the norm. That said, I think you will find most people want to collect their favorite species of fish and corals, and these tend to come from different areas. The discision many people face is whether to go fish only or reef, as there are some amazing fish that can't be kept in a reef tank due to picking on or consuming corals and inverts. A few of us lucky ones get to set up a tank of each. You are similar in having a freshwater and saltwater tank.

Good luck with the tank. Please keep us up to date.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hi Sally and to TR.

Nice images! I know a couple people who keep biome marine tanks. Around here these are mostly from people doing their own collecting off the coast on NC. But, most of the people I know keep mixed tanks.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    Over the weekend while helping my mom set up her 40 gallon planted tank, we were bounching ideas back and forth, and I pretty much haved decided to theme my tank a fijian reef. yeah I know most of the fish and corals and all of that are not endemic to fiji but found through out the whole indo-pacific. I am thinking I will put a dwarf flame angel, some purple firefish, and a bicolor blenny in the tank. eventually I will decide on the corals to go with them.

the other thing I have been thinking about it is: So next month my company is expanding across the hall and I am getting my own office. being that I work as a geologist for a water rights firm we should have some water in the office. I am thinking of setting up either a 29g old tank that I have that I would have to reclaim from my dads turtles or get 24g aquapod, and setting up a fish only with live rock with mandarin in it. I know mandarins are agressive to conspecifics, do you think they would be agressive to bi-color blennys? and in talking to one of my co-workers she says I should put a clown fish in there as well. will they compete with the mandarin?

Does any one out there keep feather stars or crinoids? the books I have read about them say they are fairly hard to keep in the tank cause of thier filter feeding requirments. my degree is in paleontology so I have a fondness for paleozoic oddities that are still around like crinoids and braciopods. When I was scuba diving in belize we went to a place called tunicate cove where there was the most beautiful tunicates and in the corals around the embayment there were the most lovely orange crinoids. They had to drag me out of the water and back on to the boat. Do any of you out there have experience keeping them?

Thanks
    You might want to hold off on the mandarin for now. Most reccommend it only be added to a well established tank that is at least 6 months matured and more closer to a year. The tank needs lots of LR and enough copepods and amphipods (spotted mandarin) as they are their primary source of food. I've read (in TFH magazine) where some people have been able to get them to eat other foods those this is not the norm. Hope this helps.

/C

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    let me clarify. I decided on the theme and what fish to add to the tank. but I am not adding any fish to the tank untill after I get back from japan in the middle of may. I don't want my plant waterers/fish feeders to have to deal with a chrisis of a newly introduced fish. if I do the tank in my office I am fully aware that mandarins need a well established tank with out much other competition. that is why I think a bicolored blenny will be a good tank mate for it and no direct competition for food.

I am doing what every aquarist does well I want this fish and that fish and it is probally best if I don't put them together so well either don't get the fish or get another tank.

Sally

Thanks
    Welcome, I am also fairly new to SW as well. I have been keeping african cichlids for about the past yr. I just moved them from a 38g in to a 55g. Most of mine are from lake tanganikans and only 3 are from lake malawi, and a few loaches.

As I'm sure you have already noticed you will need to put alot more time, effort and $ into SW. Waiting to get back form your trip is a good idea, patience was the first thing I was told about when entering this hobby.

And as far as I know current is good. DIff corals and anemones will require diff amounts or current and light. So simply place them in the appropriate loaction. And if anemones do not like thier location, they will relocate themselves. On the other hand you may find to much current for the fish. I have heard others say their fish only swim one way, kinda humorous for us, not so great for the fish. So just keep an eye on that. You should do just fine tho, it seems you have a good grasp on what to do. But I am no expert, just a humble apprentice.
    Good Luck.
    It's not the size of the boat, it's the motion of the ocean, but it takes a long time to get to London in a row boat.

Thanks
    stripepike -

Your Fiji reef theme sounds great. Add the Flame last, as he will be the bully.

I would suggest skipping the mandarin fish. While they are beautiful creatures, they have particular dietary needs. Even if he was the only fish in a 29 gallon tank, and you waited several months to add him AFTER setting up the tank (to allow the pod population to grow), he would probably deimate this population in short order. Now there are people who have been able to get manadarins to eat frozen foods, such as mysids, but this is the exception rather than the rule. If you insist on a mandarin, I would suggest waiting longer than 6 months, and adding a refugium to keep up the population. Also, make sure there are no other fish that would go after the same food source (a six line wrasse comes to mind). I QT'd a six line in my 10 gallon coral QT tank that had a HUGE population of pods, and he eliminated them in 24 hours. He was very fat and happy though.

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    The live rock has been in my tank for a week now and my NH4+ was only at 0.25ppm last night when I tested it. The NO2- and N03- didn't register any thing. I tested the nitrate test on my big fish tank to make sure it was working and it is. the Ca++ is at 340 ppm, alk was at 8dkh, and pH at 8.3. I also got my refractometer last night it is like the coolest device ever. The salinity is at 34ppt.

Is it unusual that after a week that the NH4+ is so low. I didn't have any shrimp and didn't want to get a bag to sit in the freezer since I am allergic eating it. So I threw a couple of the dianichi shinking herbavore pellets in the tank. I feed it to my cichlids to enhance thier red colors. should I add some more pellets to get the cycle going or just let it do its thing?

Sally

Sally

Thanks
    Yes - it's normal for the cycle to proceed slowly. There is a saying in this hobby that nothing good happens fast. It's so true.

And yes - I was late to the game when it came to getting a refractometer. I will never use anything else, and they truly are "the coolest device ever".

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    here is another question: as I have mentioned above I am doing a fiji theme and am trying limit the stuff I put in the tank to orgaism at least from the Indo-Pacific. so that means no scarlet hermit crab as they are carribeen or blue leg hermit crabs, or red leg hermit crabs. so here is a list of possible cleaneres and number for said cleaners. is this a good amount and combination. the tank is 44 gallons.

Tonga Nassarius Snails 15 or so
    Trochus Snails 5-10
    possibly cats eye turbo snails 5 or so
    Zebra Hermit Crabs 15
    electric blue hermit crabs 2-5 they are a bit pricey and not sure they won't eat other tank mates. but they are colorful.

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    so to take my mind of watching my tank cycle I went scuba diving over the weekend. went to a freshwater warm spring about 350 miles from where I live. got snowed on the entire weekend. as my brother put it in between dives "beautiful tropical paradise underwater, cold icky winter above". On the way down there my husband read through one of the fish magazines I picked up to flip through and on the cover is a lionfish. and he fell inlove with the idea of putting a lion fish in the reef tank. he doesn't particularly like the fish tanks. he thinks they are too bright and need too much maintanence. so since he is showing intrest in the tank i don't want to squash it by saying no lion fish. so we are looking at probally going to get a dwarf fuzzy lionfish. I know lionfish like to eat shirmp and crabs, do they like to eat hermit crabs. because The tank is small and I want to put corals in there I am kinda stuck with just the lionfish and snails. maybe hermit crabs.

so happenings in the tank are even after adding more fish food for the nitrogen cycle I got back and the ammonia nitrites and nitrates are down to zero. I have red coraline algae is growing just the fist little tufts and it is growing slowly. so last night I added two nassarius snails, two asteria snails and three red legged hermit crabs. I realize that the hermit crabs might get eaten eventually but for now they are climbing on the rocks cleaning them and the snails are sifting through the sand. The other big think that happened this weekend is the light fixture arived. it has 4 24W t5 and a 150W metal halide, and moon lights. Untill I add anemonies and corals I am not going to use the metal halide. So currently I have two 10,000K bulbs, a 420 and a 460 actinic. the light balance is quite nice. though it is really bright. and that isn't even running the metal halide. since the light sits several inches above the tank I am going to put a baffle around the base of the light and the top of the tank. partly to direct more light into the fish tank and keep it from blinding living room occupants.

the crabs are clibming all over the place. they are cute as the are cleaning the reef. the snails are out and moving when the moon lights are on but tend to hide during the day.

Sally

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    The diatom bloom is in full swing. I got a few more snails to help keep things clean. The big thing that has been happening in my tank is I am having a wicked time keeping the tank cool. the light and everything else is just getting that hot. taking the glass lid off the tank has helped the tank drop back in to a safer range. so last week I started a project to build a sump and overflow box. Last week I designed an acrylic sump that holds about 15 gallons of water. it has about 10 gallons in a refugium area. I am moving the protein skimmer into the sump since I am getting bubbles from it in the tank. the skimmer section holds about 2.5 gallons and the the return area holds about 3 gallons. so firday I went and picked up the acrylic from the acrylic supply store and got some glue and all that fun stuff. Saturday it was too cold for the glue to work well I had to work most of sunday and then a trip to the emergency room for kidney stones, I didn't get to assemble the sump till tuesday afternoon. Yesterday I tested it and it holds water. there is one slight leak on the internal baffle between refugium and the return section. so after a 24 hour test to check the outer seams, I drained the sump so that it can dry while I am at work and I can put some glue on the small leaky seam. I still have to build the overflow box. which I will do this weekend and the get it all installed

Sally

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Since you have removed the glass tops you may want to add a eggcrate to keep your fish from jumping out.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    first, WELCOME! nice to have you aboard. looking forward to seeing you on the forum.
    do you have any pics? we are looking forward to them.
    Sheli Jo
    Reefkeeping is an Addiction, not a Hobby!

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    So the sump is finally sasitfactoraly hooked up to the tank. the first way I plumbed it, turned the entire tank into one large skimmer I was getting that many microbubbles. so I disconnected the sump from the tank and though about construction and came up with a new way of plumbing the system and now no filling the display tank with microbubbles.

I took some pictures of the tank and plumbing of the sump and posted them here:
    http://gallery.abyssalplexus.net:457...avId=x94edafb1

Last weekend I got a conch for the tank. for some one who is suppoased to stay in the sand and stir the sand bed, my conch spends all of its time climbing the rock work. it is quite cute. as it has eaten all of the diatoms off the sand and the parts of the rock work it can climb on I have been putting some seaweed tied to a rock for it to eat. it isn't thrilled with it though the turbo snails love it. The conch isn't big on the fish pellets I have been dropping in to feed the nassarius snails and the hermit crabs. so I am not really sure how to suppliment the conchs diet.

I had a hermit crab coup this week. The orange hermit crab took one of the other crabs shells. at least they didn't go after the snails.

I am still getting some temerature flucations in the tank but I think that is cause we are getting to the time of year here where we are starting to run the ac and the house flucuations are seen in the tank.

Sally

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I don't have a conch so I am not sure if their diet really needs supplemented. However, I don't supplement the diet of any of my clean up crew of hermits and snails. They seem to do fine just snagging the leftovers.

We finally broke down this week and turned the AC on. This means that my chiller isn't running as much.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    Two weeks ago I went to japan on vacation. as we were visiting okinawa I wend scuba diving on the reefs there. it was awsome to see clowns in their anemones in the wild. I got too close to a clarkii clown with out realizing it and it attacked me. the size of the carpet anemones were amazing and there were some pretty cool bubble tips. saw a beautiful white tip reef shark.

so the day after we get back I go to the pet store and got one large and two small clarkii clowns. I also got a green bubble tip anemone and a long tenticle anemone. figuring with the two diffrent types of substrate they will be fine together. the LTA settled right in and hasn't moved. it is all happy the two smaller anemones host in it and are quite happy. The large clown perfers the BTA but the BTA won't stay in one place any where in the tank the large clown sleeps in the rocks. so far the BTA has only been sucked in to the filter one. I was able to get it out right away and only a few tenticles were damaged. because it keeps moving the large clown is having issues hosting in it. both it and the LTA are taking pieces of shrimp. i hope the bubble tip settels down and finds a place that it likes in the tank. but I have used the tips and tricks suggested in books and on the internet to get them to settle down and be happy and so far nothing has worked but it has only been a week that it has been in my tank.

Thread Information