Thread: Gosh Tangit

Thanks

Question Gosh Tangit

I am looking to start a 65G reef tank with some a few fish none of wish should get over 4"(2 clowns, 6line wrasse, midas blenny, a small goby, and maybe 3 cardinals).. I would also very much like to put a tang in the tank. In fact the only thing I want to put more in the tank than a tang would be two tangs. Yes, I know they nead alot of room, yet I estimate half of the ppl that resond to this will tell me that again.
    My question is what tang or tangs do you think would work best. I would love a purple and yellow tang, but realisticly I've done my research and the chanes of that working are minimal. Just shoot some suggestions my way, and please explain why. Thank You.
    It's not the size of the boat, it's the motion of the ocean, but it takes a long time to get to London in a row boat.

SPS Reefer / TR Admin lReef lKeeper's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    powder browns are beautiful, and only reach about 8" long.
    lReef lKeeper (Bobby) Admin and Reefer

Water ...
    Custom 4x2x1 60 gallon, 40B sump

Equipment ...
    6x54w HO T5 fixture, 300+g rated Frankenskimmer, ATO, 3 Media Reactors (1 p04, 1 N03, 1 Carbon)

www.lmas.org

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    Im not a huge fan of the powder brown. I personaly like the purple,yellow, gold rim, kole, and blue tang, and kinda powder blue. I would love to be able to have more then 1 in the tank if possible. Do any of these sound like a possible match, or which would be "best"?
    Last edited by Shananagans; 02-28-2007 at 11:32 PM.
    It's not the size of the boat, it's the motion of the ocean, but it takes a long time to get to London in a row boat.

Thanks
    I think the rule of thumb for tangs is you usually can't keep two that have the same body shape (like, you wouldn't be able to keep a purple and yellow together). I've also been told that first-in yellow tangs are very territorial against new tangs, so you might want to watch out (my own yellow tang is a total sissy... so it's not really a problem for me).

You might be able to get away with a yellow tang... their minimum tank size is suppose to be 75gal, but if you arrange the rocks so theres a lot of open space for him to roam it would prolly be okay. Just know what to look for in terms of stress and sickness.

I doubt you'll be able to keep a blue hippo though... they're suppose to need about 100 gallons minimum.

If I were you, I'd get a purple tang... cause they rule.

Thanks
    Ya, I like the purple tang alot, but I have a friend that his a his influence over me, and she would like me to get the yellow. Which seems to be ok. I know the the powder blue and blue hippo can easily get ich, are there otheres that can also easily get it? Does anyone know of any 2 tangs i could put together in this tank?

Thanks
    I think most tangs are pretty fragile.

Why do you want 2 so bad? It's kinda pushing it to just have 1 in a 65gal. There are plenty of other pretty fish you can get that don't need so much roaming space. Get a dwarf flame angel or something... they're awsome.

Thanks
    I know 2 would be pushing it. i dont want to go with an angel cus i will be doing both coral and anemones and from what i've heard i would not trust and angel dwarf or not.

Thanks
    My dwarf flame angel is fine with my corals. When I first put in my frogspawn frag he knocked it over a few times, but after sticking it down with glue he leaves it entirely alone now. I guess it depends on the individual fish... but from what I've read, a lot of dwarf angels can be alright with corals.

Thanks
    I currently house a yellow in my 55 reef and it is fine, remember it doesn't matter so much about there gallon requirements it matters more on the size. Mine is between sm. - med. Two might be pushing it on this size tank. If you do get one make sure to feed it lots of high nutrient seaweed, helps there immune system and they flourish!

Thanks
    i am looking to perminitly house the tang in this tank until death do use part, so i dont want to go by, the youth size, rather adult.

Thanks
    Then one should be fine, I wouldn't worry to much about it.

Thanks
    I plan on doing the same.

Thanks
    here are some options.. most of these require at least 75 gallon tangs, but you should be able to pull it off with a 65 if you are careful, you can try:

small yellow tang - Zebrasoma flavescens
    false/mimic yellow tang - Acanthurus pyroferus
    kole tang - Ctenochaetus strigosus
    mimic tang - Acanthurus pyroferus

*please note* for others reading this, i dont really recommend doing this unless you are willing to go the extra mile, make sure they are not stressed, are healthy to start with, and ready to deal with the fact that they might not live
    Show people you appreciate there advice, click the icon under there name and give them Reputation points

Thanks
    You dont think I could pull off a gold rim or purple? And what do you mean by small yellow? Cus I dont want to get rid of a fish(meaning get it small and get rid of it when it gets big).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shananagans View Post
    You dont think I could pull off a gold rim or purple?
    not likely.. again, i cant say "for sure" but they are quite sensitive, and as they become stressed from a smaller tank, they are more likely to get sick with something... does this mean you "cant" do it? no, jus that it is risk to the fishes survival

Quote Originally Posted by Shananagans View Post
    And what do you mean by small yellow? Cus I dont want to get rid of a fish(meaning get it small and get rid of it when it gets big).
    what i mean here is since yellow tangs (and the others) are a less "senstive" that the others you might be able o get them settles in while small and this "may" prevent stress related issues when they get larger.. but even these fish will out grow your tank but this will take years.

the thing with tangs is yes they do get very large, but it also takes many long years to get that large. im most cases as they grow if the tank is to small there stress level increases, this reduces there immune system, and they succumb to illness or parasites problems.. however some of the more hardy tangs might not be as at risk... again, this is a gross over simplification. simply put there is a reason why they are not recommended in small tanks, and its not to upset people with small tanks..

another issues is that tangs are VERY messy fish. the bio load increase on a tang is huge. something smaller tanks also have a harder time adjusting too..

i know you know most of this, but i needed to say it anyways.. the reality is if you want to try it... go for it.. you may be successful for a week, a month, or a year, its just more risky thats all..
    Show people you appreciate there advice, click the icon under there name and give them Reputation points

Thanks
    Thanks I think I will go with the Yellow tang. Does anyone know how reefsafe a Japanese Swallowtail Angel Male actually is, and in a 65g?
    Last edited by Shananagans; 03-03-2007 at 06:42 PM.

Thread Information